I have a Maokesi external DVD drive burner and have lost the adaptor. It is cheap Chinese brandless and cannot find specs online or manual and nothing written on the device. Can I use any adopter which plug fits? I have about 4 that fit it. But there voltage and amps all vary. Does it matter?

Recommended Answers

All 44 Replies

Would need more to go on. Google had zero hits on that name so let's here what's inside that case. Beware that I can get a new USB DVDRW at Wally's World for 25ish clams. So you may find it cheaper to donate this or use it in some desktop?

I would agree with rproffitt. It will probably be cheaper (as well as faster and easier) to get something from Fry's or Best Buy or wherever. It will be new, and have a warranty.

Here's a tip for next time. Whenever I buy something that has a power adaptor, I put a label on the power pack identifying what it is for, and a label on what it plugs into identifying the specs of the adaptor.

if I wanted to chuck it away I wouldnt ask you guys for permission.

if anyone has the brains to put an answer up, about whether it matters what plug i put in it. Will it wreck it if i put in higher or lower voltage or amps?

it works fine through the usb without the power plug. I just want to connect it to a multi usb connector and it needs the power boost

ok - so simple question about the amps and voltage, SHOULD I ERR ON HIGH VOLT HIGH AMP ADAPTOR or the OPPOSITE?

Lash out all you want. Unless there are more clues, or better yet a link to the product, it's anyones guess what you have there.

The fact it works through the USB without a power plug has me guessing this is a slim USB powered drive. Don't make us guess. The make is not found with search engines so the clues you give enhance the chances of a good answer.

Plug them all in and try. If it's that cheap a unit you can always go buy another if you fry it. Alternatively, as plenty of experienced and thoughtful members have already noted, you could just cut your losses and buy a branded drive for not much money anyway. If you haven't been able to work out the power issue, and you have the drive in front of you, then how are we meant to solve it for you with just 'cheap unbranded Chinese crap' to go on?

Dont answer tech boffin nerds, unless you can tell me, SHOULD I ERR ON PUTTING HIGH VOLT HIGH AMP charger on it first or the opposite. Which is less likely to do damage to a SLIM USB CHINESE DVD BURNER external drive, previous forums here, suggested higher amps do less damage. I find this hard to believe. ANY FEED BACK TO THIS QUESTION.

Also I gave you the brand name. Maokesi named after Chairman Mao I assume.

Hi James

1. You also said "It is cheap Chinese brandless and cannot find specs online or manual and nothing written on the device." And yet you think it is us that are confused?

2. You sure know how to speak to people, all those who have responded so far are volunteers who donate their time here, considering you are the one wanting help.

3. Seeing as I am a nice guy, however, I would imagine that seeing as this power adapter was designed for precisely such slim dvd drives then something similar if you have it would be the best choice (Input: 100-240V- 50/60hz 0.45AMax Output: 5v - 2A)

4. It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, whatever you plug into it you do so at your own risk.

5. You are welcome....

I have plugs that fit it that are 12V and 9V. 1.5A to 0.5 A.

Which would you recommend?

Previous forums said use high V and higher A less likely damage. But is this right? Does anyone know?

I find that using too high a voltage lets the smoke out of the chips. Once you let the smoke out things stop working. My father-in-law did that with a powered usb hub. Makes a nifty paperweight, though.

What the Rev said. Lower voltage, less chance of blowing it to beyond and back.

If it was mine, I would try with the lower voltage and lower amps to see if that's enough power to drive the drive, if you see what I mean. If it isn't, and you are willing to take the risk, I would then step up to the bigger adapter.

Did you try it James? Any success?

What ages are you guys?

It is 12V 1.5A or 9V 350mA ?

On your forum it suggested use higher V and A as lower can overstrain the DVD.

Age? First program I wrote was on the GE-210. Took a lot of courses in electronics and some programming. Worked mostly in embedded computing and industrial controls. Later work in cameras and DVRs.

As to the product, If you have a 9V supply that fits, that one first if it's the lowest voltage.

No, it won't overstrain the DVD to be exact. It's more likely to blow the interface board.

My first program was in BASIC on a mainframe at the University of Saskatchewan in 1971.

I thought I was talking to some teenage geeks.

James, if you really want help, then it has been given over and over. If you choose to ignore that, then it's up to you. Have a nice day.

now that is arguably abusive calling me a troll. I just thought I was talking to some teens thats all.

i didnt think it was that smart advising me to throw the dvd drive out and buy a new one. what are the risks if i put in the lower voltage amp adaptor of blowing it? given it is a slim line ext dvd. if it is high risk then i will just use it through the usb rather than the multiusb port where it works fine.

1989 admitted solicitor supreme court of victoria

• As to the product, If you have a 9V supply that fits, that one first if it's the lowest voltage.

• No, it won't overstrain the DVD to be exact. It's more likely to blow the interface board.

• Lower voltage, less chance of blowing it to beyond and back.

• If it was mine, I would try with the lower voltage and lower amps to see if that's enough power to drive the drive, if you see what I mean. If it isn't, and you are willing to take the risk, I would then step up to the bigger adapter.

• Seeing as this power adapter was designed for precisely such slim dvd drives then something similar if you have it would be the best choice (Input: 100-240V- 50/60hz 0.45AMax Output: 5v - 2A)

James, I apologise for calling you a troll if you are not one. However, your responses so far have tended towards the aggressive when people here are only trying to help you.

For example: "if anyone has the brains to put an answer up" and "Dont answer tech boffin nerds, unless you can tell me" and "What ages are you guys?"

Now that last one may be a genuine question, but in the context of your previous posts it comes across as sarcastic and insulting.

As for not being smart advising you to throw away the 'cheap Chinese drive' I disagree, I think it was the smartest answer given so far. If you want a reliable drive that you don't have to worry about when it comes to the power adapter or frying your laptop, then a cheap, branded, known quantity drive makes far more sense than continuing with the unknown quantity.

If you do want to continue down that road, however, as my previous post shows there have been many answers to your question already...

In answer to your age thing post: I'm a grandfather of 6, father of 8, and have been writing about technology for a living since 1990. Along the way I have picked up (in the UK) a 'Technology Journalist of the Year' award back in 1996 and am the only three times winner of the 'Information Security Journalist of the Year' title and holder of the 'Enigma Award' for a lifetime contribution to IT security journalism. Currently I contribute to The Times/Sunday Times, PC Pro, SC Magazine, Infosecurity Magazine, Digital Health Intelligence amongst others. Including, seeing as you are in Australia, PC Authority :-) A teenage geek I am not...

Try to locate screws and lockers and open it. check on the circuit diagram on the device board to see if the voltage and current are indicated on the circuit diagram.
You can locate the input voltage close to the fuse (if there is any) on the circuit diagram on the main board.

very impressive happy geek. i ll bear it in mind.

But dont think advising to throw it away is intelligent solution before trying other options. Especially as it works fine through direct usb. slight hassle not having it on multi on adaptor.

but by the time we are all spending on this in enthrallment probably better to buy it and never raised the question in the first place. Current solicitors charge out at $500 an hour at my level.

Kind of amuses me though this tech stuff.

just listening to the all time favourite Jackie wilson!!

you cant keep a good man down

Sorry for my bad temper, if you knew what i was going through trying to start up my vegan rawfood yoga health retreat due to bureaucrats you would understand.

also the adds initially blocked me reading responses and were impossible to remove. you might want to get dani to fix that up. now gone but pissed me off big time on first response.

but back to the most important thing, the Mao dvd - no doubt a chinese communist attempt at infiltrating Australia.

possibly containing spy software...

that last response is interesting..

can i bust it if i unscrew it...

any tricks in doing that....

can i upload a photo of it....

if i put on the 9v adaptor at .35 A, and it is meant to take 5v at 2a will it fry it?

happy geek -- find your inner teenage nerd kid and put in jackie wilson :) to be loved oh what a feeling !!!

0007 MI5 DSC_0007.JPG

doesnt say slim but looks slim does say ultra speed dvd rewritable

Given the picture and the above I'm changing my answer to 5V input. The unit is working with USB +5V power now so there's little to no reason for the maker to add anything more to the insides.

will 9v 350mA blow it? thats 3W yes. 5v 2A is 1W.

do the plugs in any way refect a certain voltage? do those type of plugs that fit it usually do 9-12V? Because i have 3 adaptors that are all that range that fit it, none of the lower v adapt will?

I think in these cheap chinese unlabelled things highly unlikely if i unscrewed it all they would have a little sign saying the v and a. about a million to one. and could i bust it if i unscrewed it?

By unscrewing it, opening I could use an Ohm meter to see if the is some trace from the +V to the DVDRW's +V (likely) or look at the circuit board. But I'm not there so you are pretty much working on faith and clouds here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.