I am currently attempting to upgrade my old computer in terms of RAM. It is running an Intel Brookdale i845E chipset with Single Channel DDR266 SDRAM (2 x 256MB at 133.3MHZ).

Even though my RAM is currently running at 133.3 MHz, is it possible to upgrade to PC3200 or PC4200? I was hoping to buy a relatively cheap stick (1024MB for somewhere around 100 CND).

If I cannot run the RAM at higher speeds (533MHz, for example), can my computer still accept the RAM (At a lower speed)? I am saying this, as I have found that 133.3MHz RAM is relatively unavailable, and expensive.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thank You
//JRosselet

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You can get a higher speed RAM stick of the same kind (DDR, DDR2) etc and run it in your system with absolutely no problems. However, the RAM will run at the highest possible speed supported by your board. So, if your board suppors 333MHz tops and you install a 400MHz stick, it'll run at 333MHz.

You can get a higher speed RAM stick of the same kind (DDR, DDR2) etc and run it in your system with absolutely no problems

Does this mean that if I currently only have DDR, my motherboard will not support DDR2?

OR

Does this mean that both sticks must be of the same type?

Generally, a board supports only one type of RAM -- DDR or DDr2. In such case, you have to use the type the board supports. The other type will not fit. However, some boards accept both DDR and DDR2. However, you can use only one type of RAM at a timee. Thats to say, you cant add one stick DDR RAM and another DDR2 stick with it. It should either be that all sticks are either DDR ror DDR2

Wow you guys sure know this stuff! Can someone help me with the same question. I have a AMD Athlon XP-1700 1.46 Ghz currently with 256MB. It has 2 slots. I would like to get it up to 1 GB. 512 would even be nice. the Bios is ASUS-a7n266-VM ACPI-Bios (if that helps). I looked at the current RAM installed and it says DDR266 256MB, but looking at frys.com I dont see anything like that.

Please help.

Wow you guys sure know this stuff! Can someone help me with the same question. I have a AMD Athlon XP-1700 1.46 Ghz currently with 256MB. It has 2 slots. I would like to get it up to 1 GB. 512 would even be nice. the Bios is ASUS-a7n266-VM ACPI-Bios (if that helps). I looked at the current RAM installed and it says DDR266 256MB, but looking at frys.com I dont see anything like that.

Please help.

ddr266 is also called PC2100 ,check frys here .
http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BnOGK9nO6VyIY6HLJTN6P+w**.node1%7D/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=pc2100&cat=&submit.x=8&submit.y=11

info on this site shows that the boards max is 1 gig ram ,so you have 2 slots ,that means 2x512 , so don't buy a 1 gig stick ,you need to buy 2 512 sticks to get to 1 gig ,
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Asus_A7N266-VM_Micro_ATX_Motherboard/A7N266-VM_LAN_AA/p/124985

CaperJack - Thank you, thank all of you. Im up and running at warp speed! (Compared to where it was). Thank all of you again~!

Your welcome,now slow down.lol

So that means that there are no compatibility problems with the MHS?

So that means that there are no compatibility problems with the MHS?

MHS?
my info only pertains to the last few post ,not the earlier post in this thread .

hello, i own a compaq presario SR1900NX, which supports DDR ram, i am interested in upgrading the memory, i was wondering if this particular type works, any idea?

Kingston 2GB KIT 400MHZ DDR PC3200 ( KVR400X64C3AK2/2G )

here is a link to amazon http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-400MHZ-PC3200-KVR400X64C3AK2-2G/dp/B0000V1AE4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206667676&sr=1-2

from the info on this site it looks like its the right ram for the computer ,
http://www.smmdirect.com/Compaq_Presario_SR1900NX_MC59688.cfm

thank you guys, i didn't want to purchase it and figure out it isn't compatible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.