Help
I just had the thing on eariler. Now when I turned it on the monitor flashes and green, blue and red message. I tried to hold in the power button to shut it off and the only way I can shut it off is to unplug. I unplugged it for a few minutes and still nothing. What could it be. I checked all the power cords and connections and still can't get the thing to work.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

As you havn't really given us enough details about the problems so here are just a few suggestions.

Any thunder storms in your area or the surrounding area?

A cable could have been bumped loose at some point inside the box

Depending on how old the computer is it might just be ready to die.

If you give us some futher details then i might be able to work it out and think of a few more things but at this stage this is all i can think of.

Hello,
No thunder storms in the area or surronding area lately. The computer is about 3 or 4 years old, is that old enough to die? I used it this morning to download pictures from my camera then later this happened. HOw do you check the cables inside the box?
Thanks

As you havn't really given us enough details about the problems so here are just a few suggestions.

Any thunder storms in your area or the surrounding area?

A cable could have been bumped loose at some point inside the box

Depending on how old the computer is it might just be ready to die.

If you give us some futher details then i might be able to work it out and think of a few more things but at this stage this is all i can think of.

I too have this problem. I have a three year old emachine. About a week ago adobe reader wanted to do an upgrade to 7.0.something, so I let it happen. It ended with a need to reboot. It rebooted and I started to get a dos boot message similar to the one you get if you leave a 3 inch disc in the A drive. But there was no disc in the drive. At the bottom of the screen it said to F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup. I choose F1 and the computer continue to boot up. Well, this has been going on the same way for about a week, until two days ago when neither F1 or DEL would get anything to happen. I tried puting in the restore cd for windows xp home addition but that did nothing. Now the computer will not bring up any screen at all and the power button will not turn off the computer, only unpluging it turns it off, and when you plug it back in, the fan starts up. The cd drives will open up. Putting in a cd, the cd will spin but not boot. I am thinking that I got a new virus that works over time to kill the computer. Any Ideas out there. Thanks for reading.

Bill

I took my computer to be repaired and was told it needs a new motherboard. hope this helps you.

I too have this problem. I have a three year old emachine. About a week ago adobe reader wanted to do an upgrade to 7.0.something, so I let it happen. It ended with a need to reboot. It rebooted and I started to get a dos boot message similar to the one you get if you leave a 3 inch disc in the A drive. But there was no disc in the drive. At the bottom of the screen it said to F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup. I choose F1 and the computer continue to boot up. Well, this has been going on the same way for about a week, until two days ago when neither F1 or DEL would get anything to happen. I tried puting in the restore cd for windows xp home addition but that did nothing. Now the computer will not bring up any screen at all and the power button will not turn off the computer, only unpluging it turns it off, and when you plug it back in, the fan starts up. The cd drives will open up. Putting in a cd, the cd will spin but not boot. I am thinking that I got a new virus that works over time to kill the computer. Any Ideas out there. Thanks for reading.

Bill

Have you gotten a new motherboard? And if so, did it fix the problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.