Is there such a thing as a connector or adapter that would go in between my laptop's AC jack and the cord's AC plug, and would swivel to prevent the jack from working its way loose from whatever it's soldered to inside the computer?

Or even one that doesn't swivel, just to relieve all the stress that plugging and unplugging and unavoidable wiggling puts on the jack?

I drew a picture of what I envision: [IMG]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8734/connectorik8.jpg[/IMG]

The connection did indeed break while my laptop was under warranty and I believe this is a common problem.

Now it's out of warranty, the area seems to be a high stress point, and I don't want the problem to come back.

I searched several parts sites and didn't find anything.

Thanks!

I have the same problem rihgt now I cant move my computer or it stops feeding AC. and I have to hold tension on the cord to keep giving power. its on the verge of breaking and I wanted to know how I could fix it.

As far as I know from spending some time online researching this, it's a common problem and once it's happened the only solution is opening up the laptop and soldering the jack - if not the old one, then a new one which I believe costs around $10-25 - back onto the board.

I'm not a computer repair person, although I successfully disassembled my laptop down to the fan deep inside in order to get dust out and have opened up desktops to replace stuff. My guess is that soldering tiny parts is not something to attempt if, like me, you've never soldered anything before.

As far as I know from spending some time online researching this, it's a common problem and once it's happened the only solution is opening up the laptop and soldering the jack - if not the old one, then a new one which I believe costs around $10-25 - back onto the board.

I'm not a computer repair person, although I successfully disassembled my laptop down to the fan deep inside in order to get dust out and have opened up desktops to replace stuff. My guess is that soldering tiny parts is not something to attempt if, like me, you've never soldered anything before.

I took your advice. it did eventually stop working and now I had to drive a few towns over to drop it off to be fixed but I do like your lil sketch there. have you thought about making and patending your idea?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.