I have a Dell Dimension 8100. Lately, when I turn my PC on I get a loud noise coming from the back of my computer. It sounds as if my fan is making a lot of noise. What can I do? Can it be replaced and how expensive is that? Also, how hard is it to replace the fan? Or, do you think I may have another problem I'm not thinking of? Thanks for your help!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Ive got a 5150 and its noisy since day 1. for me, its the fact that the black front bit (around the drives) is loose and that the side of the case that comes off doesnt click in properley

I'm assuming from your statement that this noise issue is new to your computer. With the noise coming from the rear it could be the fan in the PSU, if this is the case this could be trouble, if the fan in the PSU fails the PSU could over heat causing it to fail. If the computer is still under warranty have it looked at by a authorized tech, if not you should be able to replace this yourself, it ain't that big of a deal. You don't want to try to replace the fan in the PSU, there are large capacitors inside that will hold a danger amount of voltage...don't go there.

If you aren't familiar with where the PSU is located, look at the rear of the computer case where the power cord is plugged in, that is the PSU. There should be a vent in the PSU, is that where the noise is coming from?

If this is just a case fan then yes you can replace it, it will take longer to open the case that it will to replace the fan...very easy.

it will take longer to open the case that it will to replace the fan...very easy.

and remember dangerous as the power supply can hold power even after being unplugged ,also unless the fan has a plug into psu board you will need to cut and solder the wires together ,maybe be easier and cheaper to buy new psu

yeah, a new PSU doesnt cost much and is much safer

OPENING UP A PSU IS DANGEROUS AS THE CAPACITTORS HOLD CHARGE EVEN AFTER IT IS TURNED OFF SO DO NOT MODIFY OR DISSAMBLE IT IF YOU DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.