First off, I have been lurking around here for a little while now and I have found alot of really useful info here. So don't flame me if I don't know certain things about my computer. I had to have help from my nephew to do some things on it.

Here is what is going on: I have the limited edition Star Wars THX sound system for my computer (I love this thing), anyways, the video (onboard) was not really up to snuff for what I was needing. So I added a GeForce MX 4000 video card. It has the 128 MB of DDR memory. I installed it and had conflicts from the beginning. So I went into safe mode and removed the SiS drivers, but they kept comming back:rolleyes: . So we changed motherboards, and moved my stuff to the new board. The computer worked great for 2-3 days then the sound started acting up. When a movie plays it sounds like a cross between a machine gun and static, but when a MP3 plays the sound is clear and crisp. So I thought that the drivers for the C-Media were conflicting, so I dumped them and added the ones from Realtek. The sound problem still exsisted. Then I thought that the drivers for the card were not any good so I downloaded new ones, the result was the same. I moved the card from one slot to another, with the same results. So I was left just grasping at straws not knowing what was the true cause. Then one day I was surfing the net and listening to a CD that I had burned a few months ago, when it happened. I pulled up a pic of a guys car, nothing all that big, and when I scrolled down to see the rest of the pic the sound when in the tank, nothing but static while the pic was moving. The first thing that went through my mind was, I found it. But I did not know how to fix it. I have searched out many different sites and have not found anything like this anywhere. As a matter of fact if the volume is turned all the way up, with nothing playing of course, and the pointer is moved over a link of some kind there is static that comes over the speakers. I have went so far as to try another set of speakers and a set of headphones and the results are the same, static.

Here is my set up the best that I can describe:

AMD Athlon 1700+ 1.45 GHz Processor with 1.0 GB of RAM. The motherboard is black if that helps any, I don't know the name/kind of board that I have (I don't even know where to look). Realtek AC'97 drivers for the onboard sound, and the GeForce MX 4000 PCI Video card.

Is the static cause by a bad board?? Or is there some other conflict that I have not found??

Jim B :rolleyes: .

I changed to an older video card and all is well in the universe. The sound is working great now.

Jim B :D .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.