Ok,

My Palm Zire syncs fine with my PC at work but with my Mac at home it does not. I keep getting "File Locked" errors. I've taken screen shots of them. I got some suggestions from Palm that did not work. Here is what they told me to do:

Search for "com.palm.hs" files using Finder. Delete them.

Repair permissions. Reboot. Try to sync. Still got "File Locked" error.

Create new Admin account. Try to sync. "File Locked" error

Uninstall Palm Desktop. Search for all files with keyword "Palm". Delete them all. Re-install Palm Desktop. Try to Sync. "File Locked" error.

I consulted with at least 4 Palm support people who all sent me exactly the above suggestions, hinting to me that they were all reading from the same script, and likely have no idea why this is happening. Apparently there is a file locked but I have no idea what file that is. When I open, view, and exit Palm Desktop it gives me a "File Busy" error. No idea why. I refuse to believe that Palm Hotsync only works with PC, as I've heard others indicate that they have no problem. I don't no if it matters that I'm running a G3 B&W running OS 10.3.3 (now 10.3.4). There has to be an answer... a reason why this is happening and I'm confident that one of you knows why.

HEELLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!! :eek:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

Do you have McAfee Virux installed? I tried out that software, and my palm blew up with file locked errors. I did the re-install thing, and then thought for a moment before it dawned on me that Virux was the problem.

My Palm is actually a Handspring Visor, and once the McAfee was removed from my OS X system, the Palm was happy.

Let us know.

Christian

Hello,

Do you have McAfee Virux installed? I tried out that software, and my palm blew up with file locked errors. I did the re-install thing, and then thought for a moment before it dawned on me that Virux was the problem.

My Palm is actually a Handspring Visor, and once the McAfee was removed from my OS X system, the Palm was happy.

Let us know.

Christian

Interesting..... I DO have Virex installed...

My job bought me a new Palm Tungsten E and I got the same "File Locked" errors when attempting to sync. I removed Virex and got one successful sync. Second one gave me the "File Locked" error. When activating both iSync and Hotsync, it syncs successfully every time. Will try a reboot and see what happens...

Hi,

Glad to hear you got a good Sync to start with! Makes you feel better!

I haven't used the iSync with my Visor. Stuck with Palm's software exclusively. I am so used to that interface that the new iCal seems clunky to me.

Piece of history: Apple used to have a child company called Claris, and they wrote, in the early 90's a software package called Claris Organizer. Palm purchased it in the mid-90's, and used it as their desktop software on the Mac, and later on the PC. Seems interesting that Apple wrote a second "organizer" style of program.

As Virex is running a set of background processes, after you kill it, you have to reboot the computer.

Christian

Thanks I've got problems with my Tungsten T5 - the locked error. I swept my virus scanner away. It didn't help. Than I disabled the .Mac back up facility, didn't help me either. Than I changed the settings of HotSync Manager (no more Hotsync options) and that works (I hope it will still do it tomorrow).

Gyula :D http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=103978#

im am looking for software for my palm zire so that i can use my hotsync

im am looking for software for my palm zire so that i can use my hotsync

go to palm.com and download appropriate drivers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.