Member Avatar for ozzie1451

I have a sony pcv rs 400 pc with xp sp2. I had a virus called cws.mscofig. This and associated files were scanned and removed by different spyware programs. When I started the computer, Win xp did not start. I tried safe mode, it starts but hangs, nothing on screen. PC has two hard disks, and all recovery programs are on HD to reinstall. No cd's were provided with PC, but instructions recommended to buy when needed. I have to press f10 to use recovery function at start. But all f keys disabled, I can not reinstall the original programs. I have called sony to buy recovery cd's as desribed in their hand book. Sony can not sell recovery cd's any more because of a conflict with Microsoft (Who cares about honest customer who pays). I am stuck with a computer which does not start. I tried to use one xp cd for other computer to start and install to see if it works. I could not install windows because f keys disabled and I can not accept agreement by pressing f8 key and it stops there. But it goes to recovery console only. I dont know if this would help. I dont know what else can I do? Can I remove this virus from memory somewhat? I am considering to remove the hard disk from other computer and install on this one too see. Is it a good idea? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Some information about the spyware you were trying to clear can be see at this link:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t59869.html
It appears the cws.msconfig find may be a false positive. I suspect you deleted or corrupted some critical system files while trying to remove the reported spyware.

There is a cws.msconfig variant that can cause browser problems. You can find more information at this link:
http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html#msconfig

You may need to reinstall the real msconfig file either from the recovery partition, another CD, or download it from the link on the cwshredder.net page listed above.

To be able to load windows, you may want to try connecting a standard keyboard to the computer. Sony uses a special keyboard driver on some of their systems (especially laptops) which prevents the function keys from working properly until the driver loads.
You probably won't have much success taking a hard drive from another computer with XP on it and installing it in your computer unless that are both the same model. XP will detect the changes and think the software was installed on an unlicensed computer and require you to activate it before it will allow you to log on.

Member Avatar for ozzie1451

Thanks. I was able to recover and reinstall all original programs. I copied msconfig, then I got a message that system file was corrupt. I used many online free scanning services which may not be a good idea since they find many false spyware traces. I was able to start recovery mode when I realised function keys are not working properly, and pressing them randomly until one worked.

I have a sony pcv rs 400 pc with xp sp2. I had a virus called cws.mscofig. This and associated files were scanned and removed by different spyware programs. When I started the computer, Win xp did not start. I tried safe mode, it starts but hangs, nothing on screen. PC has two hard disks, and all recovery programs are on HD to reinstall. No cd's were provided with PC, but instructions recommended to buy when needed. I have to press f10 to use recovery function at start. But all f keys disabled, I can not reinstall the original programs. I have called sony to buy recovery cd's as desribed in their hand book. Sony can not sell recovery cd's any more because of a conflict with Microsoft (Who cares about honest customer who pays). I am stuck with a computer which does not start. I tried to use one xp cd for other computer to start and install to see if it works. I could not install windows because f keys disabled and I can not accept agreement by pressing f8 key and it stops there. But it goes to recovery console only. I dont know if this would help. I dont know what else can I do? Can I remove this virus from memory somewhat? I am considering to remove the hard disk from other computer and install on this one too see. Is it a good idea? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

I have the same problem with my friend's computer, I had windows program from my other computer . I totally deleted sony programmes and used new windows , but unfortunately I have some problems , I can not use my speakers,my modem is not working.
I am searching for sony recovery or anything that can help me, if you can help me , let me know!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.