I recently got a new Lifecam VX-3000 to use with MSN messenger. It works fine for stand-alone video capture, and it works alright when using the video alone on MSN, but when I try to use the microphone at all, it just comes up with this dreadful buzzing or humming. I cant hear it on my comp when I video call or just chat with Ventrilo, but everyone else can hear it and they cant hear what I say at all.

I tried adjusting the volume on the mic, and it just jumps back up to high no matter what.

I tried disabling the microphone on it and using an external one, but the video wont work when I do that, and the external mic isnt recognized by my computer or doesnt work.

I tried moving the cam away from my speakers, but the cord isnt very long and cant reach very far away, and the cord on the speakers isnt long enough to move them very far from the cam, either.

The only other thing I can think of is disabling the webcam when I want to use Ventrilo and getting a new microphone for my computer. I really would rather just figure out some way to fix the microphone on the LifeCam, but I cant see how.

Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 53 Replies

is it usb or regular (3.5mm jacks)?
If its 3.5mm make sure its plugged into mic and not speakers.

Turn the webcams mic right down in the sound menu and then use the webcam/headset wizard in msn to adjust it.

Its a USB, and I tried reinstalling it and turning the volume down, but both tries were unsuccessful. I thought maybe it might've been an out of date driver, but oh, silly me. And even when I turn the volume down on the volume control in the task bar, it sends a horrific buzzing noise to the person I'm talking to. The only time they DONT hear the buzzing is when its muted, and when it is, I cant speak to them at all.

thats wierd. is it a bad usb port possibly?
do you have another mic plugged in that could be interfering?
is it too near your speakers?

I gave my parents the vx3000 for Christmas and whenever we do a video call they are producing a very similar buzzing as you describe in your post. They have a CRT monitor and I was wondering if you have one too? I'm thinking that may be the cause of the buzzing. If you have found a solution to this, please let me know!

maybe as i know you get problems with screen mounted speakers and interferecne. Get a USB extension cable and try the camera away from the monitor

I finally got my VX3000 to partially work without the background noise. At least when I record a file (audio only and video and audio) I am no longer getting the noise that I had before. BTW the noise for my setup was clearly the old 60 cycle hum. I have yet to try it on IM.

I went to a second microphone plugged into the front of my HP Pavillion. Wasn't all quite that simple however, I discovered I had to go into control panel and find advanced mike options and make sure the selection for the front mike imput vice the rear was selected. Then I further discovered that every time I activated the VX3000, I had to also double click the volume control in the taskbar and UN-MUTE the microphone selection. It appears the VX3000 causes any other microphone to mute. This has to be done every time one re activates the VX3000.

Hope this helps someone out there and note that I haven't tested in a 2 way setup yet.

I have yet to try it on IM.

I went to a second microphone plugged into the front of my HP Pavillion....

Hope this helps someone out there and note that I haven't tested in a 2 way setup yet.

It's true that bypassing the VX3000 built-in microphone avoids the problem, even with IM. However, that doesn't solve the primary problem, which is that the microphone in the VX3000 is defective.

I have had one of these units since a bit before Christmas '06. Based on my success with the unit at that time, I gave one to my brother for Christmas so we could do IM. Since then my VX3000 has started acting up, and so has his. Not at first, but after a few weeks or months of use.

After lots of troubleshooting, trying to route cables differently, moving the unit away from the monitors, etc. we accidentally discovered that if we knock on the VX3000 it seems to jar something inside, and the hum goes away or is reduced significantly. To me this indicates that there is a problem with the wiring or circuit board in the unit. Possibly an intermittent or loose connection.

By now both our VX3000's are beyond the return-to-store warranty period, and would have to be returned directly to Microsoft for repair or replacement. We have not taken that step yet.

You might want to try what I tried to 'fix' the loose connection. Flick your fingertip against the front or side of the unit while you are in an IM session, and watch the microphone display to see if the 'output' indicated goes down. When the hum is present the MSN Messenger microphone meter will be quite high. The meter should show something only when you are actually speaking.

Thanks Phong - I'll bet that you are right. I've also found that even with the background noise the microphone seems to work intermittedly. We need someone, electronicqally proficient, to take the thing apart and troubleshoot. Quess that wouldn't be Microsoft.

I have the same thing with 2 lifecams vx3000 and vx6000 :(((. the vx3000 started buzzing after about 4-5 months while the 6000 was bad almost right from box. I'm gonna play with the interference idea tomorrow.

OK, I opened the 6000, and started to play with the mic. Couldnt see much so I opened the lifecam software, went into the page with the audio meter (audio settings or smth like that) and observed how it reacts when i played with the mic... after few "pokes" i noticed the bar went down (ie the buzz was gone).. so i gently put the mic back into its place and closed it... so far its working. We'll see the other one soon.

So i guess its the wiring hmm ?

I have a similar problem with the vx6000 mic--is the answer really to shake it until it works?

I'm using the vx6000 microsoft lifecam with WLMessenger and xp pro;

I get picture and sound from the person I'm calling, and they (sometimes)
get my picture--but sound comes through as just noise.

When I go to Messenger/Adjust Audio Video, it recognizes my speakers, but
when I go to next screen to adjust microphone level, the slider refuses to
stay put--you put it up and it sliiiiides down. Cannot get VU meter
(green/yellow/red bars) to respond. I'm guessing this is where the audio
connection problem is coming from , but don't have a clue as to how to fix
it.

For one bizarre moment, after I checked the "use headphones box" in the
speakers page(even tho I don't use headphones), the slider stuck and the vu
bars worked, but after those few seconds, I could never get it to repeat.

Help would be much appreciated.

Hai,
My VX-3000 has also troubles with the sound. I opened it and made contact with the metal part of the micophone (earthing) and then the noise reduced. Maybe that helps? Should the usb-port have a connection with the PC's frame or something like that?
If I take the webcam in my hand the noise becomes stronger, witch indicates for me also a lack of earthing...
Frank

Hello, I took the VX-3000 completely apart en the reconnetced it to my computer. Suddenly the noise disappeared and then I assmbled the VX-3000 again. Don't ask me what is was but it worked.

I got my VX-6000 webcam about 3 days ago. Everything was working fine til now where there is that persistent and obnoxious buzzing which is heard in plain audio recording and video chatting. I tried removing it from my laptop and speakers, but the buzzing was still present.

As I try to re-calibrate the audio and video settings in the software, I notice that the audio adjustment volume already senses noise that sky rockets to the yellow segment of the gauge without me saying anything.

I can understand if there is a wiring problem, but now I'm guessing the only thing I can do is to send it in for repair... what a hassle.

I just fixed my microphone problem. I tried everything; moving the mic around, turning off speakers, unplugging lights, different programs to record audio..

I took the LifeCam VX-3000 apart. Inside, there are two wires, a red and black wire running to the microphone. There is also a little metal brace clasped onto the outside of the microphone with a little black wire attached to it. When I took the little metal brace off the mic, the buzz disappeared. I think those metal rings touching the mic were the source of the buzz. I cut off that little brace and it works just like it did when I bought it.

Hi, I also solved the problem, I took apart the webcam and tried first bypass ground, but it was useless. Later I remove the mic from its place and tried different locations from the electronic board, it was useless. Last I tried to move the small magnetic ring towards the mic, it was also useless, but when I moved that small magnetic ring closer to the camera board the noise was gone. As a summary, you don't need the cut smt. inside the camera. Only problem is that small magnetic ring that needs to be moved closer to the camera board (small electronic board that includes lens, chips, diots etc.)
Tip for taking apart your camera: first remove your camera's stand with using screws that hidden under the small raunded black rubber peaces. After remove that one screw from back side of the camera, than remove front part of the camera from both sides of the live call button's using your nails towards the front side.

Hi, I also solved the problem, I took apart the webcam and tried first bypass ground, but it was useless. Later I remove the mic from its place and tried different locations from the electronic board, it was useless. Last I tried to move the small magnetic ring towards the mic, it was also useless, but when I moved that small magnetic ring closer to the camera board the noise was gone. As a summary, you don't need the cut smt. inside the camera. Only problem is that small magnetic ring that needs to be moved closer to the camera board (small electronic board that includes lens, chips, diots etc.)
Tip for taking apart your camera: first remove your camera's stand with using screws that hidden under the small raunded black rubber peaces. After remove that one screw from back side of the camera, than remove front part of the camera from both sides of the live call button's using your nails towards the front side.

I've got a rubbish VX-6000 with the same loud noise happening. I opened it up but there's no magnet. The mic wires are very short. When I pop the mic out of it's seating area and give it a pling with my finger, the seems to go away. it sometimes returns and i have to pling it again.
I removed the metal brace off the mic but that had little, if any effect.
When i put the camera back together, the loud interference noise always eventually returns. What a piece of junk!
Unfortunately i bought the camera in the US, but i live in the UK. Who wants to pay UK rip-off prices? Anyway, my return options are very limited.
Advice to anyone thinking of buying a Microsoft Lifecam: DO NOT BUY.

Here's a photo of the inside of my Microsoft RubbishCam VX-6000. Note the microphone wires are short, have no magnet, and are attached to the camera board at a different location. The VX-3000 fix does not work for the VX-6000.

I have same problem with VX-6000
my return-to-store time is over so i have option of sending it to microsoft, but i live in remote part of Canada, and would take a lot of time.

anybody get the fix for vx-6000?

VX-6000:

I have had a problem on Skype telling me there is excessive background noise - and people I'm talking to unable to hear me properly. I tried the other solutions but got varying results. Looking at the noise graph in the VX-6000 audio and video settings process the bar stayed either yellow/red without me talking or the microphone volume turned itself so low as to be useless.

I have taken the screw out of the back of the unit, prised the case apart and lifted the microphone (small cylinder with two wires attached) out of its inset. I have then stripped 5-10 mm from the ends from a 50mm (2 inch) piece of wire from telephone cable (very thin), inserted one end through the horizontal slit in the rear case of the unit , underneath where the microphone sits. I bent the wire over so the bottom metal case of the microphone would sit on top of the bared wire. I then reseated the microphone (while looking at the graph in the set up of the VX-6000) - once I had reassembled the unit the microphone is permanently in the green section of the graph. I have put the volume up to maximum with no buzzing problems - tested it on Skype and by recording a clip using the life cam software.

I did this as a last resort - my webcam is 8 months old and I would not get a refund so I had nothing to lose. It looks ugly but it works for me.

I too was foolish enough to buy a VX6000 and have terrible problems. Buzzing, poor sound - all the things mentioned in this thread. Will be returning it ASAP. Seems like a crock. Pictures OK but it won't hold its sound settings.
Maybe I could buy a mike and just use the cam capability. How do I inactivate the sound part of the webcam if I choose to do that (or I can't get a refund - -it's 2 weeks old!!?

Not sure how to do that, but my solution was to lose hope and buy a new one. VX6000 was awfully expensive for its poor quality, so I opted for a significantly cheaper and sturdier webcam NOT from Microsoft.

Definitely not the same quality that I liked on the VX6000, but it will do.

Spoke to Microsoft who agreed, after some tests, that the unit was faulty (admitted that there had been other probs recorded!) and I have had it replaced with a new unit which works! (for how long?)

I have had the LifeCam VX-3000 for a few months and have noticed the buzzing noise - it was pretty annoying.

At work today, my speakerphone had the same issue (my microphone picking up a loud buzzing noise so the person on the other line couldn't hear me). The repair guy came over, took it apart, then blew hard on the microphone. That totally fixed the problem.

I came home and did the same to my LifeCam - blew hard a bunch of times in the tiny hole that is to the top right of the lens (the right side if you're looking at the camera's lens). This worked very well and now there is no humming/buzzing to the recipient of my Skype calls.

I hope this works for other people as well!

Man I like it when a plan comes together, this worked for me, Thanks

I've had the same problem recently with my VX-3000 Lifecam. I attempted vitalmaj's solution by taking apart the Lifecam and moving the magnetic ring inside. The cam still produced buzzing, but not as much. After that I blew hard into the small hole next to the lens, like tz2001 suggested, but this produced no results.

After doing both of these, however, and moving the cam slightly away from my CRT monitor, I found no buzzing whatsoever. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that vitalmaj's solution worked for me when it reduced the buzzing but the remaining buzz was just from my monitor.

If you're having this problem with the VX-3000 I'd suggest trying both of those.

Thanks Spud66, you gave me the courage to take apart my vx 3000 lifecam and IT WORKED!!!

I didn't bother with the wire bit, I made a hole in the plastic and now the microphone is housed outside the plastic casing.

Thanks

I recently got a new Lifecam VX-3000 to use with MSN messenger. It works fine for stand-alone video capture, and it works alright when using the video alone on MSN, but when I try to use the microphone at all, it just comes up with this dreadful buzzing or humming. I cant hear it on my comp when I video call or just chat with Ventrilo, but everyone else can hear it and they cant hear what I say at all.

I tried adjusting the volume on the mic, and it just jumps back up to high no matter what.

I tried disabling the microphone on it and using an external one, but the video wont work when I do that, and the external mic isnt recognized by my computer or doesnt work.

I tried moving the cam away from my speakers, but the cord isnt very long and cant reach very far away, and the cord on the speakers isnt long enough to move them very far from the cam, either.

The only other thing I can think of is disabling the webcam when I want to use Ventrilo and getting a new microphone for my computer. I really would rather just figure out some way to fix the microphone on the LifeCam, but I cant see how.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem with the same camera. It works fine for a while than I could not use the mic without having a lot of buzzing and echo in the sound. I tried to reinstall the software then tried another mic and it was working fine. I found on a help forum that these cams are prone to have problems with the mic in the camera. I opened it and tried to adjust it. Nothing works. I bought a new one of the same type and it works fine. I guess that these cams are just another fine example of the poor quality of MS products. I have a Logitech on my laptop and it is 100 times better quality than the VX 3000.

I just fixed my microphone problem. I tried everything; moving the mic around, turning off speakers, unplugging lights, different programs to record audio..

I took the LifeCam VX-3000 apart. Inside, there are two wires, a red and black wire running to the microphone. There is also a little metal brace clasped onto the outside of the microphone with a little black wire attached to it. When I took the little metal brace off the mic, the buzz disappeared. I think those metal rings touching the mic were the source of the buzz. I cut off that little brace and it works just like it did when I bought it.

I tried the rearranging of the cable to no avail, but as soon as I cut out that round clip around the mic out by cutting the black cable (not the black cable next to the red one) It worked perfectly! Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.