Does a 1000mbps netwrok card actually increase your internet speed big time?????

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I'm afraid not maui_mallard.
The speed quoted on Gigabit Ethernet is for LAN (Local Area Network) speeds i.e. between computers in your home / office network. It does not have any effect on WAN (Wide Area Network) i.e. your connection to the internet and other computers over the internet.
The WAN speed is limited by the speed of your internet connection as provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Sorry.
I wish it did too!

HTH

ok thanks...good thing too i just about ordered it

Short answer no, your network will only run as fast as your slowest component.

So if you have a 1000mbps NIC
and a 54mbps router/modem
and a ISP only giving you 2mbps

Then your top connecton speed will only be 2mbps.

Short answer no, your network will only run as fast as your slowest component.

So if you have a 1000mbps NIC
and a 54mbps router/modem
and a ISP only giving you 2mbps

Then your top connecton speed will only be 2mbps.

How can you find out what your modem/router is running along with the speed of the ISP???

Like its says im running 100mbps???

100mbps is what you are getting between your modem/router and your pc

between your modem/router the outside world its much less

my ISP gives me 2mbps broadband - the fastest consumer broadband in the whole of the UK is about 16mbps

how do i find out my ISP connection

how do i find out my ISP connection......sorry i clicked quick reply twice

you should know. your isp should offer different speeds for different prices. Check your bill.

there are sites that can tell you but there iffy

hey thanks.....this worked good...so now that I have figured out this speed...can I increase it???

by switching to a faster scheme with your ISP yeah, theres no way really to increase it on your end

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.