I am replacing a Gigabyte mb with one by MSI. Seems like the last time I did this I had to boot in safe mode and edit the registry to remove some lines related to hardware drivers. Such a long time ago, I can't remember what I removed.

Seems like I should be able to do about the same thing in Device Manager. Both boards use the same chipset so there should not be too many conflicts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

B

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Thanks for the feedback Cat. My system has W2k so I am not really concerned about authentication issues as with XP.

It just seems to me that there are some drivers specific to the olf MB that should be removed. Then the OS can just redetect the MB. I have the W2k install files in a directory on c:\.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks,

B

Thanks again Cat. I had muddled through before I read your post. Basically, I went into safe mode and removed every hardware driver I could find.

Everything is working great except the LAN. For some weird reason I can ping the network, the router as well as IP addresses on the Internet. I cannot ping a domain name which tells me there is a DNS problem. (I will post this in the networking thread in case someone can give me some help.)

I have removed/reinstalled the Nic, updated the driver, tried multiple DNS settings (I use a static IP with a cable modem and NAT router). It is mind numbing. Tried both IE and Netscape.

Part of the price for cooking your own PC I guess.

Thanks again.

B

Glad to hear you've got the motherboard changeover issue sorted out.

I'll mark this topic as solved. Good luck with the network issue.

Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.