I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S260 laptop and the other day I walked across my carpeted room to turn it on and when I touched it I felt a very little shock and now it won't power up... I think it's the motherboard but am not certain any suggestions on how to diagnose???:?:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

with adapter plugged in, does laptop look like it's charging (battery/power leds lit)?

does the laptop not boot (ie hangs before posting), or not turn on (absolutely no noise from fans etc)?

When I plug it in I get no lights, and when I try to turn it on i get no fans, sounds, etc... it's totally dead, I opened it up and with a Volt meter checked for electricity on a few circuits and they were present, do i have to change the whole mother board??

if the battery is dead, could be as simple as bad dc adapter or dc adapter plug, you were right to check volts, but sometimes, correct voltage doesn't necessarily mean the right amps are flowing through. check the dc adapter cable, usually right near the plug (the dc plug that connects to the laptop). they tend to fray (usually not visible but underneath the insulation) because of awkward positions and pulling to the side, etc. if it's the cable, you'll find that moving the cable into different positions will give you some signs of power. sometimes the cable can look stressed at that point too. if you have a good feeling it might be the cable, and are okay at soldering, try ripping the cable up.

a busted jack is harder to diagnose, you have to make a direct connection onto the motherboard. I've only seen a broken jack though, and once was because the motherboard power jack was arcing.

if battery has charge, and laptop still isn't powering on (ruling out faulty dc adapter and plug) it's more than likely the mobo. components (besides power supplies) shouldn't cause power issues like this. you can try pulling components out to double check, though.

unless you're positive it isn't cable, i'd try the cable first, especially if you know how to solder.

with adapter plugged in, does laptop look like it's charging (battery/power leds lit)?

does the laptop not boot (ie hangs before posting), or not turn on (absolutely no noise from fans etc)?

I'm also having an issue with my s260 not booting up, but it's actually hanging before posting. It seems to boot up fine after I tap different parts on the bottom part of the laptop, but then if it goes into standby, it won't boot back up. Or after a little time I get an error message about the driver (pops up and disappears too quickly for me to get the entire message), and then the display gets messed up, turns to VGA. Help with this?

Sorry, finally read the forum rules about piggybacking. I've reposted my question on a separate thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.