There is no signal to the monitor, it powers up and there is the initial beeping sound, cd drives, HDD, floppy and all lights and fans work fine. It doesnt boot up. I googled to try and solve the problem and have tried a process of elimination, so far I have:

1) CHecked video card - I replaced with an old one which definately works and still no activity. I then thought it could be the AGP slot but when I put the original card back i removed the power connections for it and it started beeping, so I presume the slot is ok? Not sure though.

2) Made sure all cables were in correctly - yes

3) Removed CMOS battery and replaced - no difference

4) Memory - removed one stick - no difference, removed other stick - no difference.

4) CHecked CPU - seemed to be seated in correctly but removed and replaced anyway, again no difference.

5) Monitor - monitor screen works as it displays 'no signal' when it attempts to boot.

I'm stumped as to what to do next, but I think its maybe the processor, I'm suprised I get no beeps or warnings about it though?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Andy

System is: a Athlon 3000+ (oc to 3200+), Asus K9N Motherboard, 6800GT graphics card, 1gb ram, 160gb HD, 350w PSU.

hanna143 commented: I like that you wrote what you have already done, it does help me to look for these possible problems too: ) +0

Recommended Answers

All 68 Replies

what graphics card is it?

System specs are at the bottom, its a 6800gt AGP. But I tried an old card which does def work and still the same problem.

This is a bit of a long shot but i have had this problem a few times. just try unplugging the power connection to the hard drive or the cd drive or even both and see if you have display then

this has happened to me twice with different computers. everything was okay and i finally solved it by replacing the motherboard with a another board of same make and type. used all same hardware and cpu. problem over. i dont know if it was done by a virus or i think i may have disturbed some registry settings during cleanup.
this should get rid of a major headache and have you back on track.
good luck,
dan

this has happened to me twice with different computers. everything was okay and i finally solved it by replacing the motherboard with a another board of same make and type. used all same hardware and cpu. problem over. i dont know if it was done by a virus or i think i may have disturbed some registry settings during cleanup.
this should get rid of a major headache and have you back on track.
good luck,
dan

I took a calculated guess and decided that it probably was my motherboard that was fried, so I bought another.

Hey presto, PC working again!

Dunno what caused it, I didn't mess with registry, wouldn't of thought a virus could damage hardware?

a virus can possible damage a bios but thats unlilkely

hello guys , i have some other problem . my monitor had no problem at all . everything worked fine. now all of a sudden when i turn on my computer and i am supposed to see on my screen the password option ( windows xp loading screen is displayed like it should ) i have this message of no signal . i can hear the windows log in melody on my speakers but monitor turns off even when i manually turn on . i connected the monitor with my laptop and it work . any clue on how to deal with ?? thnx for your time

Hi there, I've come across such problem and it is most likely to be the RAM or the slot. In some PC's, there is beeps when there is a faulty RAM but others don't produce beeps and there's no screen display. So try changing the RAM (use a new one or take one that's working from another PC and try it)

Hope it works : )

thanks!!!!...........................i bought a new PC...

i am also having the same problem; the power is up but there is no signal to the monitor and no initial peep as well. I have tried to disconnect hardisk and cd-drive but also nothing happens, still the same.Is it the motherboard problem or what?...thanx for your time and help.

This is a bit of a long shot but i have had this problem a few times

A virus effecting your hardware?? lol, i wouldn't think..

You shorted your motherboard!

I accidently did this and would get similar problem as you.

Now I just recently had a problem that I finally fixed thanks to a friend. I would have this issue where I would turn on my PC and everything would boot up fine, except no matter what monitor I used I would they would act like my computer was on sleep. All my lights came on so did my keyboard and mouse but no image. Well my GPU fan would come on but spin at full speed and never back down. I learned I was shorting my motherboard. The problem was I was causing a connection between my motherboard and case, the culpret a set of wires for my case lighting. Pulled those, problem solved (I had another incident while working on my case that proves this). Also those mounting screws if not properly placed can short out the board (interesting fact, those screws are actually insulated)

hahah bought new pc if you dont even get a "no signal" error when computer turns on and status light on motherboard is green then it says ONLY one thing. motherboard is not producing any kind of anything out of the monitors connection port. RAM RAM RAM see i was in a breakup and still had my ex' comp that i built her. so i took the RAM and raked the metal end of my lighter across the connectors to one of the sticks. i recieved this error and when i took the damaged stick out of the slot i recieved a signal to my monitor. when you get nothing of anything its telling you the port is not sending out a signal to the component. and as far as the showing no signal it tells me that information is being sent but its not sending the information correctly. in this case i would check the SATA cables were correctly connected from the CD & Hard drive to the motherboard and then make sure the 4 or 8 pin power connection was pushed all the way in cause either its not getting power to send the signal out of the ports to external devices or the hard drive which is where all this info comes from is connected to the motherboard. for the former of the two you should be able to check by inserting a flash drive into the motherboards USB port and if it lights up its your sata connection if it doesnt then its your power to your ports. if the light on the motherboard was red then i would assume it COULD be the battery but would definitely NOT be a first, second, or even third choice. look if you want to call me i will SOLVE your pc problems email me at [snipped] and give me yoru number i will call you for FREE lol

i dont have an idea how did it happen !!

jaem14

aa ewan :))

de ku alam .

naguguluhan aku !!

arrggghhh !!

putsungkatsei-nie na system yan !!

jaem :))

at first the monitor can't be turn on .. it cannot detect the HDD so i tried to change the first boot .. but when i am in bios setup , still it cannot detect the HDD even if its working , lighting and connected to the system .. i dont know how to solve it ..

so please help me if you know :))

tenx ..

jaliLah ♥

Please check the monitor first with possibly another one lying around or a neighbors. i had this issue and using a different monitor was a cheaper and easier way to fix this problem. Before you take the tower apart and start messing around with it check the simple solutions first.

Folks, I have just had the same problem. My CPU starts with all the lights on but no signal to the monitor. Can someone help me?

did you try all the suggestions in the post above yours

Yeah, I tried everything except taking it to the repair shop

I had the same problem, read this old thread here. took off the cover on my tower, pushed in on ram first. one didn't seen to be seated to well, then i checked the other boards and one was really loos, the one at the bottom of the tower, what ever it is, I hooked every thing up and presto chango wamo! It works! Thanks everyone!

great to see old forum threads still help people solve problems ,good luck

I hooked every thing up and presto chango wamo! It works! Thanks everyone

I had the same problem with no output to my TV screen, all I did was take the defective RAM out of the motherboard, or just replace it with new RAM if you only have one. If you have more then one take one out, try it, then take the other and try it or just switch positions of the RAM. It worked for me as soon as I removed the defective RAM, HDMI signal was detected. :-) I hope this helps anyone with this problem. Good Luck!

May be RAM not fitted properlly.

same problem here also with no signal, but here is the deal, you say that a monitor cn not carry a virus? Well, I was fixing a computer with no signal and my monitor works just fine so I connected it and still no signal. I determined it wasn't the monitor, but wait....I reconnected my monitor to my computer and no signal! Now my computer has the same problem....then, being the idiot that I am.....connected another good monitor to my computer and no signal.......let's end this story with three monitors and three computers down! All different computers and in all diferent locations. Crabby now and tried all the fixes. Not even caring about all my typos above. Hoping someone can really fix this problem....and NO I can not get into safe mode or anything because I cannot see anything ever on the monitor. Almost want to hook my computer up to my laptop, but then I'll probably ruin another one......

no possible way for the monitor to have a virus ,thats not to say that it isn't a virus causing the problem

you say that a monitor cn not carry a virus

you say that a monitor cn not carry a virus

the likely problem is the video device,intergrated or addin device that sends the signal to the monitor.

my monitor displays "no input signal" and doesnt get started. it doesnt even enter to boot menu. I checked my drive with other monitor. it works well. what could possibly be the cause and solution? thanks in advance.

i have thesame problem .. i also first check the power cord connecting the monitor and the system unit but thers no change its display only "no signal" but when i removed the RAM and back again it works .. but in 2 weeks its back again .. so maybe the problem of this is the RAM..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.