Hi,

I just had the motherboard fry in my other computer, which has a 160GB SATA HDD. I need the data on that drive, so I connected it as a secondary storage device on the computer I'm using now.

The drive shows up in "My Computer" and I can access it fine. The data I need to access is inside "g:\my documents and settings\comp admin". However, when I try to open it, I get an "Access is Denied" error, so now I'm at a loss for what I can do to retrieve those files.

I'm using Win XP Home, and I tried changing my logon to "comp admin" but that didn't do a thing. The secondary device has Win XP Pro, so I think it has something to do with the permissions differences between the OS'es.

Anything I can I do?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for szukalski

Sounds like you made your last profile private.
Easy way to get the data would be to boot from a Linux live cd and copy the data that way.
There may be another way, but this is the way I would do it.

Thanks for the reply, it's workin now!

Booting into safe mode and working the security tab from there did the trick. I'm glad I didn't have to navigate Linux. Me and Linux don't mix well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.