So I installed a new graphics card and immediately after I get the following problem, here are my specs

BFG tech N-Force4 mobo ultra
AMD Athlon64 3200+
PNY GeForce 7600 GS 512 MB
120 gig drive
2 x512 MB DDR400 Dual Ch

So after installing the card I turn on my computer and the usual beep that comes right after is delayed and it goes to the POST screen except instead of powering everything on it gets to the CPU says the type of CPU, its clock speed and then stops and does not move forward.

I heard a similar problem that had to do with something about the CMOS but am not sure what the problem could be.

I tried moving the RAM around and trying it with just one stick but it didn't work. I also put in the old graphics card but the problem persisted.

Help please.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

the problem persisted after you put the old graphics card in? Make sure the graphics cards are completely in their slots. What kind of graphics cards are you using? agp? pci?

you're not overclocking ur cpu, right? Once again, be sure the graphics card is in completely. The pci express cards can sometimes be difficult to seat...

the only reason a computr cant make it through post is b/c of some hardware malfunction.. and since it happened when you installed a new graphics card, I would definitely think something was wrong with the way you installed it.

I've recently switched to my other hard drive, which is installed with Linux (ubuntu). I cannot connect it to the net so I can't test drivers or intense rograms but it works just fine, no crashes, no badness, could it be windows itself?

Sounds like hardware to me. Maybe HD.
Unplug your hard drive and let it post.
Then try it again with it plugged in.

I've recently switched to my other hard drive, which is installed with Linux (ubuntu). I cannot connect it to the net so I can't test drivers or intense rograms but it works just fine, no crashes, no badness, could it be windows itself?

hah, although we wish to immediately blame microsoft when there is a problem (it is their fault a lot of the time), I also think it is a hardware problem. Do what belikemike suggested. Also be sure the jumpers are set correctly on your hd (if it applies to your hd).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.