Nice guesses, all wrong

For No Video
Typical problems with the DV6000 is a FET PQ52 near the coin cell. Especially if you have the Athlon64 with nVidia graphics.

For No Boot but lights (different if battery is in)
PQ1 or PD3

First thanks to reen for bringing this problem up..
I have the same exact problem as her with a HP dv6409wm part of the dv6000 series.
I just tried the link everyone provided and much thanks for saving me the time looking for it..
Anyways my warranty ran out in Sept 08 so now what do I do.
I feel that HP should recall all the models with this known issue..
It's not right that I am now stuck with a notebook that was only good for a year and 2 months..
Any idea's?

PS
I would not suggest to take off the cover to troubleshoot problems if you have a notebook that is fairly new..
The warranty will be voided for sure!

Hello dear partners....

and finally my experienced solution....
1-turn your pc off....
2-press the power bottom on and keep pressing it for 6-8 sec , and keep watching the blue lamp at the card reader ... u will notice that in this first time the blue light will stay lighten .... so by keeping the bottom pressed for 8 sec the pc start and turn off again.........ok don't worry...
3- press again the power bottom and the pc will work and watch the blue card reader lamp ... when it flash off remove your hand out of the power bottom and the pc will WORK normally and will go to the HP logoooooooooooo.......
4- repeat these steps if not worked from the second time.....

these are the steps which worked with me very well

and i hope deep from my heart that it work with you

if anyone has a question about what to do if u don't understand i'm ready to help all of u.....

reply me with what will happen with u.......

Thanks a lot.
It helped me out. Now I can boot my DV6000.
But every time it has been turned off it is the same procedure again. But better than a dead pc.

Right - for all of you out there with HP issues around the DV6000 and I also think the 9000 range is affected.

The issue is beyond your control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The situation is generally due to a faulty NVidia chip which HP is well aware of and there is currently a "Class Action" being persued in the "states" regarding this issue.

You still need to ring HP Technical Services on this issue EVEN IF YOUR WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED.

Certain machines within these ranges have had extended manufacturers warranties applied so even after your normal 1 year warranty or even your extended warranty (if purchased) has expired you COULD still have cover

Possible SHORT TERM solutions have included - taking off the battery, disconnecting from the mains and pressing the power button for anything upto 1 minute - to "discharge the capacitors" within the machine.

Oh and resetting the BIOS.

These solutions have ONLY worked in the very short term from my experience.

The machine requires a NEW MOTHERBOARD - DO NOT PAY FOR IT OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET - HP need to sort it!!

I hope this helps you all out, we have had 4 machines successfuly repaired and 2 refused - so give it a go

Right - for all of you out there with HP issues around the DV6000 and I also think the 9000 range is affected.

The issue is beyond your control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The situation is generally due to a faulty NVidia chip which HP is well aware of and there is currently a "Class Action" being persued in the "states" regarding this issue.

You still need to ring HP Technical Services on this issue EVEN IF YOUR WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED.

Certain machines within these ranges have had extended manufacturers warranties applied so even after your normal 1 year warranty or even your extended warranty (if purchased) has expired you COULD still have cover

Possible SHORT TERM solutions have included - taking off the battery, disconnecting from the mains and pressing the power button for anything upto 1 minute - to "discharge the capacitors" within the machine.

Oh and resetting the BIOS.

These solutions have ONLY worked in the very short term from my experience.

The machine requires a NEW MOTHERBOARD - DO NOT PAY FOR IT OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET - HP need to sort it!!

I hope this helps you all out, we have had 4 machines successfuly repaired and 2 refused - so give it a go

Agree 100% at lease give it a try!!!!! After all HP sold a faulty product. Ended up very helpful in the end.

My problem and yours may be the same. I tried all the normal stuff and generally they didn't help. Two things that did work:

• F11 - after enough tries, this will get you into the HP Recovery Manager (assuming that it is set up on your machine). This gives you some recovery capabilities (including a command line.
  • Del - On my machine, this was able to bypass the problem and allowed it to boot. It doesn't take every time. You have to shut down (hold down the power button for at least 5 sec until the machine turns off) then hold down the Del key while you start it again. If it doesn't take you have to do it all again. The theory is that there is something wrong with the motherboard / video chip and if that is the case, it isn't clear as to why this would bypass it and why the system would run OK when it does boot.

Right now I have my system running quite normally and I am just letting it run. I don't know if I want to run it 24/7 indefinitely but for now it's better than having to fight with the boot process. Give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

The problem is with the nVidia BGA chipset, and cannot be repaired at Mom & Pop shops. It will have to be repaired by an Electronics Technician with the proper tools and training. This is common for DV series systems whether it is DV2000/6000/9000. Though I have found better reliablity on the Centrino systems that uses the Intel chipset.

My suspected reason:
The silicone thermal pad is not thick enough to apply pressure on the nVidia Southbridge and sufficient heat is not drawn off, so the BGA as it heats and cools, the RoHS solder shrinks and solder ball loses contact on the joint that draws a lot of current - so this contact is no longer passing current, the system fails during post because it cannot say "everything's fine - continue boot".

I think it's a video problem. I am not familiar with your laptop but some video boards in different laptops pop up from their connector on the system board. Try pushing it back in place.

cmiiw.SNIP

I think it's a video problem. I am not familiar with your laptop but some video boards in different laptops pop up from their connector on the system board. Try pushing it back in place.

That model does not have a replaceable video card. It is a known defect with the video controller. The solderballs under the Video BGA loses contact. This causes no boot, because it doesn't pass POST. The only other video problem with that model is the lid switch gets stuck sometimes, and that can be fixed with a drop of WD40.

I have a similar problem with my Pavillion.
I turn it on and I get a black screen with white text prompting me to "Start in safe mode, start in safe mode with last known config" etc, but no matter which option I chose, it just boots for about five seconds, then the screen will flicker white, then blue then restart the whole process on an endless loop.
Something similar happened before and I had to send it away to the HP people to fix it, but they wiped my hard drive completely and I lost everything.
Does anyone know how to fix this and possibly keep my files?

Is anyone actually reading these guys post? They both have said it will not do anything. I am working on a notebook with the exact same problem. IT WILL NOT LOAD ANYTHING, NO BIOS, NOTHING. It simply does as the other guys stated. All the lights come on, the hard drive light flashes a couple of time, the CD-ROM spins for a moment, then it just shuts off then starts the same process over and over again. We all appreciate any ones help to solve these issues. Please dont waste our time or yours posting worthless information.

My lights go on but its a black screen . I work on computers myself i checked the power suply it works checked the battery it works. I dont think its the hard drive because it dont boot up so is it an i/o board or mother board . Please help! Fan works to. Should i get rid of it if its an i/o board

Carneyusaf it sounds to me that you need a new hard drive if it boots up repeatly then its the hard drive . Then if thats not it it needs a new motherboard.

Hard drive are 60 bucks easy replacement open up back it pops right out good luck carneyusaf

Is anyone actually reading these guys post? They both have said it will not do anything. I am working on a notebook with the exact same problem. IT WILL NOT LOAD ANYTHING, NO BIOS, NOTHING. It simply does as the other guys stated. All the lights come on, the hard drive light flashes a couple of time, the CD-ROM spins for a moment, then it just shuts off then starts the same process over and over again. We all appreciate any ones help to solve these issues. Please dont waste our time or yours posting worthless information.

You will need to contact a electronics tech. Contacts on the bottom of the GPU and/or Southbridge are no longer touching the motherboard. A known and common issue with the DV series. Either reflow GPU/SB or replace motherboard.

Yes I have done hundreds!

Well Crap,
My friend just brought me in their laptop, HP DV6636nr model and the LED's just flicker when you hit the power button.I have been working on laptops and desktops for over 20 years but can't figure this one out. I checked HP's recall list and it stops with the DV64XX series. I have removed the Memory, HDD and battery, plugged in the AC and same thing. Won't even attempt to go to the BIOS. CPU fan spins for split second as the led's light up and then all stops again. I have removed the battery, removed the CMOS battery and left it sitting for a week, but still nothing. I am starting to think that there is a problem with the MBOB. In this case, I already told my friend, since the laptop is over 3 years old, to just get a new laptop and sell this one for parts. Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem??

Hi a friend has a hp pavilion dv6000. Only the blue light where the power adapter connects is on.
When the power button is pressed nothing happens. Tried taking out the battery ,still nothing happens
please help

Recently a friend brought me an HP dv6000 with this same rebooting problem - lights come on, then the system shuts down and then the lights come on again and this cycle repeats itself.

I found the following solution which worked for me.

As the power light comes on try tapping the "ESC" key a few times (about once every second). Do not hold down the "ESC" key, keep tapping it a few times. Holding the key down sometimes causes the system to freeze. If that happens, hold down the power button for a few second to shut down the system and then power it back on and try again. This tapping of the "ESC" key at start-up is the only consistent solution I have found to this problem. Once the "minus sigh cursor" appears in the top left corner of the screen, stop tapping the "ESC" key. The HP start up logo window should then appear on the screen and you should see the selectable start-up options along the bottom of the screen. Now, if it seems to be sitting at this screen for too long, simply press the "ESC" key once again and it should start into its boot up process.

While this does not resolve the original problem, it has turned out to be a good work around for my friend. I don't know if this will work for you but right now you got a dead machine. So what you got to lose? Give it a shot! Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.