I was asked to take a look at someone's computer the other day because it kept freezing whilst playing games, it sometimes crashed or reset the computer. The computer is a new computer and has only been in their possession for a few days, with no internet access. I took a look at the specs and found that it was running on an Intel Pentium D processor 3400mhz, 512mb RAM and a Radeon X1300 series Graphics card (that's all the specs I remember). One of the game's that crashes the computer has a maximum requirement of a Pentium 3 Processor, 300 something RAM and I can't remember the graphics card requirement. I decided that it couldn't be because the system didn't meet requirements so I loaded one of the games (Theme Park Inc.). Then I opened task managed, and to my surprise the CPU usage was hitting 70% - 97%. I found this odd as it was the only program running and was managing to push the CPU to it's limits whilst at lowest graphics and audio settings. I did some research into the parts and found out that the Radeon X1300 isn't built for gaming and that it can also be given a part that allows it direct access to the systems RAM (can't remember the name of the part). I've determined that the graphics card is using the same RAM that the game and the operating system is using, and with so much going on during the game, the CPU spikes to over 100% and shuts down the game or the computer. Am I right in thinking this or is there something I'm missing or unaware of? Another theory of mine is that a slow speed Bus was used to connect one any of the parts and that's straining the computer.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

hi,

i agree with you, if the installed SW doesn't meet the specs of the hardware it will cause a lot of problem.. SW should be compatible with the hardware to run things smoothly..

Yea i agree with you to they may need to get an upgraded graphics card or get the card to feed of the ram that the computer has installed on it.

But you may want to try this. Upgrade the virtual memory cause that may lower the CPU ussage.
So try that it should help lower the ussage in a game but it wont help the graphics card any.

Hope this helps
TJ

The cheap radeoms steal system ram and CPU. I have an x600 and it has 64meg of ram of its own and steals 192 of system ram. It also steals quite a lot of CPU.

Just as a quick question, have you got a program called 'video accelerator plus' installed?
If so, remove it immediatly!

Yea i agree with you to they may need to get an upgraded graphics card or get the card to feed of the ram that the computer has installed on it.

But you may want to try this. Upgrade the virtual memory cause that may lower the CPU ussage.
So try that it should help lower the ussage in a game but it wont help the graphics card any.

Hope this helps
TJ

I have no idea when it comes to virtual memory. I only deal with the physical parts of it. How would you upgrade the virtual memory? Would you need to do it through the BIOS or do you actually need to buy more?

I don't know if you can upgrade virtual memory unless you have a oldering iron handy! , so yeah you will have to purcahse a new graphics card.

No u dont need to do through the Bios, You can do it through the Operating System.

Right Click My computer go to Properties.
Go to the Advanced tab Click On Prefromance,
Then go to the Advanced Tab. Youll see Virtual Memory. Click Change, then click custom size.

This wont help with grapics car but it will help witht he CPU ussage u where talking about.

I don't know if you can upgrade virtual memory unless you have a oldering iron handy!

WTF - Virtual memory = swapfile on the hard disk

Thats why when you run out of RAM the hdd light goes on. RAM = electrric - fast HDD = mechanical - slow

But i dont know why were even talking about Virtual memory anyway. Windows manages it automatically.

I meant to say soldering not 'oldering' btw, and i thought u meant the onboard memory on the gfx card, which you definatly can't take off and put something else on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.