(Running Windows XP on Compaq Presario V5000)
Hi..
First of all, I've already done some troubleshooting, so this may help with your thoughts on the problem.
My LCD screen is not working properly. When I turn the laptop on, I can see a dim one-time flickering at about the time that the Compaq screen is changing to the Windows boot screen, although I can't see any images, and the whole screen is not brightening.
I tried hooking the laptop up to an external monitor, and I got to see the boot process up to the Windows boot screen, and then nothing else. I could "hear" the desktop startup chime, but that's all.
I ended up rebooting the computer in safe mode, and whalaaa, there was my desktop, although only on the external monitor. I reinstalled the display driver and was able to boot up normally with no problems...except that I still only have external display. I've tried toggling between both the laptop and external monitor, but still nothing.
At this point, I'm thinking that I just need a backlight replacement bulb?
(There's only a short flicker when screen changes are supposed to be taking place, which is towards the bottom of the laptop screen.)
Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

First you cant just replace the backlight/ bulb, you have to Replace the whole LCD screen, but before you do that try replacing the LCD inverter , i have done it many times and it works. Hope this helps.

First you cant just replace the backlight/ bulb, you have to Replace the whole LCD screen, but before you do that try replacing the LCD inverter , i have done it many times and it works. Hope this helps.

Okay...I will try that. MANY THANKS TO YOU for responding!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.