hi

I am Hoping some one here can shed some light on this. I have a toshiba satellite pro laptop but it's refusing to turn on.
it was working fine 2 days ago and was last shutdown as normal.
With the AC power supply plugged into the laptop the DC-in light comes on (green) as well as the battery indicator witch flashes orange.
With the Battery out and the AC power in all i get is the DC-in light coming on thats it
with the AC power out as well as the battery i get nothing at all.
thanks for any reply. :)

Recommended Answers

All 70 Replies

First thing to try, reseat memory sticks (remove and put them back). Check what will happen.

I have removed & reseated memory stick and also tried using other slot, but symptom remains the same.

So, it was a power issue.

Check your AC power adapter voltage output. Maybe the power adapter is bad and doesn’t provide enough power to boot up the laptop.

Remove the power cord and the battery for about 10 seconds then put the battery back in to its compartment. In this time power up your computer with only a battery source. See what will happen.

I have checked the psu and it is giving out 15v ok.
Powering up from the battery only, does not get anywhere. No lights, nothing.
The battery was good when I last shutdown the laptop so the problem dosn't seem to be the power source.
Any further suggestions greatly appreciated

I'm having exactly the same problem (satellite pro 2100). When I press the power-on button the only thing that happens is that the diskette bay makes a sound, the battery-charging light goes off for a second and then dies. I tried to switch the RAM sticks with no result. Any help would be very appreciated!
// Edit: I tested the power supply, and it's fine... So no idea what's wrong

The flashing orange light means that the battery is charging. When they give up, they do so quickly and indeed they can cook if plugged in for a long time with no power being drawn.

That means they can short or cause a short. Them really disturbing thing in Swa's case is that with no battery in, there is no boot up which indicates damage to the mainboard.

I think you need professional help here.

Dudes! I found the (maybe temporary, only time will tell) solution! You just need to disconnect the CMOS battery from the mainboard for a few seconds, and rejoice! It boots!
Well it worked for me, maybe someone else will find it usefull ^^

Dudes! I found the (maybe temporary, only time will tell) solution! You just need to disconnect the CMOS battery from the mainboard for a few seconds, and rejoice! It boots!
Well it worked for me, maybe someone else will find it usefull ^^

Hi!
I am having the same problem, but I havent tried anything yet. I am not very good with computers should I have someone else take the CMOS battery out for me?

Hi,
Just to give an update on my original post, it turned out that after much testing. the motherboard and battery had given up for good. It appears that (as sispishio suggested) when the battery gave up, it gave a power surge to the motherboard which in turn fried it. Ultimately I have had to replace the motherboard and battery, and all is well again. This is not a job for novices though, and can be quite time consuming. I hope to be uploading a guide on dismantling the Toshiba Sat Pro shortly and I will post details once it is available.

Hi!
I am having the same problem, but I havent tried anything yet. I am not very good with computers should I have someone else take the CMOS battery out for me?

Hi Rhonda,
If you let me know your exact symptons I will try and help. To remove the cmos battery you will have to dismantle a lot of the laptop to reach it. As i stated this isn't easy but I will post a guide shortly if you wish to take that route, although it is unlikely that it will be the culprit as even if the battery is flat, you should still be able to bootup.

Thanks for replying! I got it to turn on; it was the battery. I did learn more about my laptop in doing some research.
Thanks again!

removing the battery and power cord for 10 seconds worked for me. Thank you very much

i have a laptop, toshiba satelite pro.. im having kinda the same issues... but mine comes on like normal.. then it freezes just before.. i get to the logon screen. ive tried powering up on safe mode... but it didnt work... i dont know what to do, ive tried taking the battery out.. and leaving it then putting it back on but im still having the same... problems.. can anyone help me..?

i have tried doing that and it doesnt work.. anything else i can try?

The fact that it is freezing just before the logon scren suggests it is a problem with the operating system software and not the hardware. What version of windows are you running??

I had the same problem with my pro 2100, turned out to be very simple. There is a void behind the hard-drive; some 'not particularly' rough treatment of your laptop and the hard-drive can fall off it's pins.

When i discovered this and pushed hard-drive back on the laptop works fine; now I have filled the void with card and wedged the hard-drive in.

Hope this helps.

N

when i try to instal windows xp to my sattellite pro laptop,the inetial start up of windows was occured,and then xp asked me to press enter to instal xp after that the blue screen shows me THERE IS NO HARD DISK CONECTED TO THE SYSTEM PRESS F3 TO EXIT FROM THE SET UP.FORMERLY I USED WINDOWS7.please help me

My toshiba laptop isn't charging i just got a universal laptop charger and there wasn't anything wrong with the battery but it's still not charging what else could be the problem.
please someone help me.

sign, Janika

I also have a toshiba satelite A200-1RK it won't switch on! The power light comes on when plugged into the AC and when I switch it on the blue standby button comes on, then the blue hard drive button flashes once and then ....... Nothing!!!!!!!! I've tried all if the turn it off, remove battery hold down power button etc etc none of it works! Has anyone any other ideas please???

i have a clients toshiba satallite laptop L450D 11W i have replaced screen and this morning refused to turn on i have dismantled the keyboard & taken all screws out from underneath laptop but i am unable to lift plate which keyboard was sitting on
removed battery & memory cards and replaced the fan and processor does not seem to function,i have worked on many pc desktops/ laptops i think maybe the proccessor has come to its end. i am hoping for sensible answers.stuart

I'm having the same issue, my Toshiba Satellite doesn't turn on after shut it down. If I unplug the power source it is turn on, I'm not sure what can be the problem.
Any suggestion will be appreciate. Thanks
John

Pull all power from the machine including battery, now hold the power button for 30 secs, plug in the ac adaptor and switch on

It didn't worked. I can hear for few seconds the fan and after that nothing.
But it can be turn on battery and it's freezing when I plug the power.
What could be the problem ? Could be the DC jack ?

People have a nasty problem with sitting there laptops on their laps, Beds or sofa's, this blocks the fans underneath from cooling down the processor which eventually over heats and shuts down the machine, with persistent use in this way the processor becomes damaged and will no longer boot up the machine.

globalss: Have you tried using another adaptor? - remember to use one that as the same voltage as the one that came with your machine.

The other thing you can try is to remove the ram from the machine and try and turn it on without them - if it comes on, turn it off again and place your ram sticks in one by one, this will determine whether you have faulty ram or not.

From what i am hearing from the posts above it sounds like it could be a power problem either with the dc jack on the machine or your power adaptors.

Good Luck Everyone - I know Toshiba's have dodgy main boards.

Take your laptop apart and find the chip with a white and a black wire connected to the chip and unscrew it and push it in as far as it will go and screw it back in that worked for my 2 toshiba laptops

my lap top is not turning on

fans not working
screen not working

nothing happens when i turn on except the blue light that glows when we power on .i havnt used it for 2 days.....but after the 2 nd day this happens........
my laptop is toshiba satelite a201cr

nothing happens when i turn on except the blue light that glows when we power on .i havnt used it for 2 days.....but after the 2 nd day this happens........

Same exact problem..Is this the board problem? i dont know what to do with this laptop..Throw it ? or sell its parts?

the model is toshiba a100 and the blue indicator is on when i put the charger but no reaction.Even the fans are dead..

I have a Toshiba Satelitepro a100
On switch on the fan runs for 20 sec. then stops this results in the machine locking up.. Could somone please inform me how to fix this problem.( How to make the fan run all the time)
Very pleased for any information
Best regards
tony

Toshiba Pro A100 problem With fan not running.
The problem has now been solved. The problem was caused by an upgrade of Zone Alarm which has now included antivirus and spywear . This was in conflict with Avast that was installed on my comp. The removal of Avast solved the problem. The fan dos's not run all the time this is normal and only runs when required to cool the processor.This is to conserve the battrey.
Hope this helps other people
Best regards
Tony

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.