I was attempting to fix a video problem (all my videos feeds from Netflix were coming through in bright purples, greens, reds, yellows, etc.) and thought I had it solved. I was attempting to reboot - as the system requested I do, when all of a sudden the hard drive started revving up like it was a sports car. It got faster and faster and louder and louder and then I quickly pulled the plug on the machine (maybe a bad idea).

Anyway, when I restarted the machine, nothing comes up. It goes through the Dell logo screen and offers the option to press F2 or F12, but when I do either, nothing further happens. It's as if there is nothing else there.

I have a back up hard drive (Maxtor) and I could access it, but I can even get to a C prompt to do anything...

Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions?

My father's old computer had a problem similar with the loud race car noise, but it was not his HDD, it was his CD drive. It may be your optical drive if you have a certain CD in it. If not, get another HDD and plug in that one in place of the other one to see for sure if it really is your HDD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.