Ok heres the story. Yesterday I tried to turn my laptop on and nothing happend so I looked it over and it turns out my 13 yr old brother decided to take it apart for a better look inside. Well I noticed that he took the CPU out and when he put it back in he didnt lock it totaly into place so im pretty sure its fried. Heres what happens when I turn it on: the power lights and the lock lights ie caps lock and so on flash constantly and the CD-ROM starts to run then shut off again and again. If the CD-ROM and the lights are getting power then the motherboard isnt fried right? Id like to get it going soon because im making a custom compartment for it in my Eclipse. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Gee I'm sorry 'bout that. Tough luck. A part of a motherboard can be fried meaning that some things will work while others won't. Lights powering on, unfortunately, doesn't mean your motherboard is all good 2 go.

Unfortunately, I'm no hardware expert. Perhaps someone else here would have some more definitive news for you. If I were you I'd actually just call your laptop/motherboard manufacturer and ask for their opinion. If it's under warranty, you can send it back to them and they'll replace the broken parts. (Actually, it depends what type of warranty you have, as it was caused by human error). Does your computer beep at all when your turn it on?

Sounds like a short: the power supply is trying to start up, it then detects an overload and then shuts down. This cycle will then repeat. I would open up the computer and check to see if the ribbon cables that interconnect the floppy, hd, keyboard, touchpad, etc are fully seated or maybe installed backwards.
Could also be the other way around: The power supply is not detecting enough of a load and shutting down then recycling.

Ok heres the story. Yesterday I tried to turn my laptop on and nothing happend so I looked it over and it turns out my 13 yr old brother decided to take it apart for a better look inside. Well I noticed that he took the CPU out and when he put it back in he didnt lock it totaly into place so im pretty sure its fried. Heres what happens when I turn it on: the power lights and the lock lights ie caps lock and so on flash constantly and the CD-ROM starts to run then shut off again and again. If the CD-ROM and the lights are getting power then the motherboard isnt fried right? Id like to get it going soon because im making a custom compartment for it in my Eclipse. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Sounds to me your chip isn't thuroughly secured to the board.. a chip that's not thuroughly secured doesn't mean it will be "fried"; does your chip have burn marks on it? It could be the case that the fan wasn't working or the chip was overclocked (jumpers were changed).

The CPU fan does run when I turn it on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.