Compaq Presario 6370us.

I turn it on, after a few seconds, the fans begin to spin and stop within 3-4 seconds. Nothing else happens.

I put in a new power supply. No change. I cleaned it good (it was REALLY dirty). Thinking the compound on the heatsink might be degraded, I removed and re-did it. No change.

I disconnected everything. Right now, I have the PSU, CPU and motherboard only, but when I put in the power, the same thing happens. The fans don't run long enough to feel the air.

Can someone tell me what to try next? I am on the verge of ordering a new motherboard.

BTW, I have removed cmos and battery for short periods and overnight. I have changed out the battery. I have removed the ram.

Now, I'm just looking for a new direction. Thanks for any help.

MsMimi

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I don't think the spinning mobo fans is a problem unless the CPU is hot before you start (which it won't be).

Messing around with CMOS isn't a good idea and you have presumably set the jumper on the mobo to restore CMOS to default? Yes?

Anyway, you say you can't reach POST. But you haven't described some important detail. With the PC assembled, does it beep when booted? Does the keyboard flash a coupe of times? Does the HDD whirr? That sort of stuff.

does the monitor show that it's getting a signal?

I don't think the spinning mobo fans is a problem unless the CPU is hot before you start (which it won't be).

Messing around with CMOS isn't a good idea and you have presumably set the jumper on the mobo to restore CMOS to default? Yes?

Anyway, you say you can't reach POST. But you haven't described some important detail. With the PC assembled, does it beep when booted? Does the keyboard flash a coupe of times? Does the HDD whirr? That sort of stuff.

Thanks for your response!

I didn't go into bios. Never got that far. I simply removed the cmos jacket over a pin 1-2 to 2-3 and removed the battery. Then, I returned the battery and jacket.

No beeps, no flash on keyboard, no hdd whirr, no nothing. The only way I know the power is still on is a green light on the back of the power supply box. I tried first, of course, with hdds connected, ram intact, video card plugged in, etc. I finally removed everything down to bare bones.... nothing but mobo, cpu and psu.

MsMimi

check the mobo power conn, the wires from the power button to the mobo. if those are intact then u have a busted mobo.

Thanks bobbyraw. I figured as much and have been trying to locate a duplicate mobo for this Compaq Presario 6370us. It is a Pentium 4, so probably worth saving. Thank you for your help.

u r welcome, do a search u might be able to find a refurb one some where

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.