My motherboard stopped working on my dell & I have lots of important pictures on my Hard drive so I got a USB thingy to make it an external hard drive.

I have no problems with the computer recognizing the drive or accessing parts of what is on it. But I can't get to my personal files because I had a password protected account on my old computer.

Is there anyway that I can get this password off so I can access my precious files?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

if your mobo stop working how can u conn a external hdd, the connection is throught the mobo, right???? is this on a diff pc,

if your mobo stop working how can u conn a external hdd, the connection is throught the mobo, right???? is this on a diff pc,

yes.

unless you have used NTFS fule encryption, all you need to do is change the permissions on the files.

unless you have used NTFS fule encryption, all you need to do is change the permissions on the files.

how do i do that?
I tried right clicking the folder--->sharing & security --->and selecting share this folder with network users & other users on the computer & allow them to change the files

first of all, in folder options (in explorer - tools>folder options) in the "view" tab incheck "use simple file sharing".

after that on the folder that you can't access - rightclick>properties>security>advanced>permissions>add yourself, and check replace permissions.
apply that and go to the owner tab. choose yourself there as well and apply again.
click OK, and make sure your user appears in the list in the window (the one with the permissions and the "advanced" button)
make sure you have no denies checked and that full control is checked for you.

have fun

first of all, in folder options (in explorer - tools>folder options) in the "view" tab incheck "use simple file sharing".

after that on the folder that you can't access - rightclick>properties>security>advanced>permissions>add yourself, and check replace permissions.
apply that and go to the owner tab. choose yourself there as well and apply again.
click OK, and make sure your user appears in the list in the window (the one with the permissions and the "advanced" button)
make sure you have no denies checked and that full control is checked for you.

have fun

I don't have a "use simple file sharing" option in the view tab
i also don't have a security option when i click on the files
any other advice, please???

what os are u connecting this external HDD to????

what os are u connecting this external HDD to????

xp

did u creat an account on this other pc or r u logging on with a limited/restricted user account. log on as admin, and try accessing the drive, if u can see other files and folder it because u encrypt and password protect the files/folder when you were able to log in........ once you create or log on as admin enable file and priter sharing with this external drive attached.

did u creat an account on this other pc or r u logging on with a limited/restricted user account. log on as admin, and try accessing the drive, if u can see other files and folder it because u encrypt and password protect the files/folder when you were able to log in........ once you create or log on as admin enable file and priter sharing with this external drive attached.

sorry, but i have no idea what you just said
i had a password on my account when it was in my computer
on the other computer i can't see my files even when i log on as admin

i think your hard disk was used and some folders were protected with password on your computer so if you want to remove password you want to do
1.remove password softwere from that system while you connecting this hard disk on that system
2.u cannot open that folders untill u remove password loaker so u need to format c drive of hard disk which can remove password locker
tanku

i think your hard disk was used and some folders were protected with password on your computer so if you want to remove password you want to do
1.remove password softwere from that system while you connecting this hard disk on that system
2.u cannot open that folders untill u remove password loaker so u need to format c drive of hard disk which can remove password locker
tanku

yes, my hard drive was used on my old computer until the motherboard stopped working, therefore i cannot get the password off of it with that system, and i cannot format it because i need the files on it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.