Hello everyone,
I have an e-machine T2984 computer that recently stopped powering on. The monitor powers on fine but the tower itself does not power on. I checked the AC outlet and the power cord supplying the unit. Both of them are working fine. I also opened the computer with the power connected to the AC outlet and noticed a little green light that stays on, on the motherboard. I am not sure but I think that the light is located next to the processing chip (there is a big heat sink and fan next to the light). There is also a soft humming sound coming from the power supply area when the power plug is plugged into the AC outlet the computer will not turn however.
Can I get some advice on what to do to resolve the failure? I would like to fix this computer if it’s possible rather that get a new one.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

HI
This could be that you need a new power supply, try starting computer and look at power supply fan see if this fan works if it does not it's more than likelly your power supply is bad.
Disconnect power supply from wall and remove power supply and have it checked at a local best buy or a computer store.
Make sure when replacing it you have the correct one since they are several different power supply and also make sure you install a surje protector if you don't have one installed.
Hope this helps
Jaime

hey
Thanks for the response. You were right about the power supply. There is no power to the fan on the power supply when I try to turn the computer on.

One more question!
Is it possible for the power supply to be repaired rather than replaced with a new one?

here is a question to you do u have another computer available to you?

the reason for this question is that you can try the power supply inanother computer and i can BET my pay check for the month of december it will work.

Hey,
That's a hefty BET. What makes you think that the Power Supply is not the problem. The reason I am asking is because you must have some strong insight to make such a bet. Please fill me in on the details.

here is a question to you do u have another computer available to you?

the reason for this question is that you can try the power supply inanother computer and i can BET my pay check for the month of december it will work.

Hey,
That's a hefty BET. What makes you think that the Power Supply is not the problem. The reason I am asking is because you must have some strong insight to make such a bet. Please fill me in on the details.

Hey,
I've repaired several emachines that had the same problem. Let me guess you have had that machine 1 year and 9 months. LOL That always seems to be the failure time. Anyway usually what happens is that the power supply goes bad in emachines, I've heard that they don't always take out the motherboard as well, but I've had to replace both every time. I think that emachines use a proprietary power supply, I'm not positive. You could buy a new power supply and you can find a socket A motherbaord at ebay sometimes really cheaply (though not always guaranteed to work). You could also go and buy a new power supply and motherboard, but you will have to buy a new CPU and maybe memory. That will cost about 200 bucks. I wouldn't waste time trying to get the components to work, it's just a waste of time(I know I tried, my grandmother's emachine did this and I tried everything to save them some cash. Which I know, if I had really loved them I wouldn't have let them buy an emachine, but hey; they didn't ask before they bought one) Just bite the bullet and get some new ones.

Hey,
I've repaired several emachines that had the same problem. Let me guess you have had that machine 1 year and 9 months. LOL That always seems to be the failure time. Anyway usually what happens is that the power supply goes bad in emachines, I've heard that they don't always take out the motherboard as well, but I've had to replace both every time. I think that emachines use a proprietary power supply, I'm not positive. You could buy a new power supply and you can find a socket A motherbaord at ebay sometimes really cheaply (though not always guaranteed to work). You could also go and buy a new power supply and motherboard, but you will have to buy a new CPU and maybe memory. That will cost about 200 bucks. I wouldn't waste time trying to get the components to work, it's just a waste of time(I know I tried, my grandmother's emachine did this and I tried everything to save them some cash. Which I know, if I had really loved them I wouldn't have let them buy an emachine, but hey; they didn't ask before they bought one) Just bite the bullet and get some new ones.

Hey again,
Thanks for the heads up! Your experience and information has be helpful in making my decision on whether or not I should get a new computer. I think i will just play around with this one for fun and just by a new one for use.

thanks again.

Hey no problem glad I could help

HI
This could be that you need a new power supply, try starting computer and look at power supply fan see if this fan works if it does not it's more than likelly your power supply is bad.
Disconnect power supply from wall and remove power supply and have it checked at a local best buy or a computer store.
Make sure when replacing it you have the correct one since they are several different power supply and also make sure you install a surje protector if you don't have one installed.
Hope this helps
Jaime

I'm sorry, I gave this a bad rep. I changed my mind, I didn't understand what you were saying. But now that I do, you're right.

Hey, I have the same problem exactly, only with an Emachines T2742. We took out the power supply box of the wall, and we have noticed that something rattles in there when the box is turned. It sounds like a small object. Would anyone have any ideas of what it might be, and if it is replaceable?

Hey, I have the same problem exactly, only with an Emachines T2742. We took out the power supply box of the wall, and we have noticed that something rattles in there when the box is turned. It sounds like a small object. Would anyone have any ideas of what it might be, and if it is replaceable?

Exactly what happened to my wife's computer (t2984). After the vacation it just stopped working. When I took out the PSU I saw a capacitor falling. That is lame, that means that the quality control is nonexistent for the PSU. Take your PSU away and do not try to use it. It might fry all other components.

Never the less I replaced the PSU and had the computer working for another year. Last weekend the motherboard died.
Fun lots of fun.

I love computers but hate electricity Ive shocked with electricity so many times,hardcore.very funny. IT techies should never attemp to repair a PSU.Stubborn me has abided by this rule untill a week ago trying to repair a psu I did what I did...Kaboom!!! Today Im still living, but never do I repair a psu again. conversion is fine but reairing is like Bin Ladin (god knows where he is) creating a one of his favourates

I also have a T2984 which will not boot up. I opened up the T2984 and shorted across the switch but confirmed that is not it. What confuses me is that there is a green LED that is lit on the mobo when the power supply is plugged in. Is that telling me that the power supply is good, but that because the mobo is bad, I cannot start up? I am not sure, as I have heard that there are multiple output levels from a power supply. Perhaps the 3.3v is working, and the 12v is not?

I do not have a replacement power supply (only some older ones without the square 4 pin connector), as I am considering simply upgrading to a new system. I was hoping to make an informed decision about whether to buy a new power supply or not.

Basically, the original power supply provided with your e-machine (and others) has a manufacturing defect. When the power supply fails, it usually takes out the mother board and often the Celeron D340 (or Pentium 4) that came with your unit. In some cases, it even takes out the PC2700 DDRAM sticks. Given the price of that unit, it's generally not cost effective to repair. You can however go to E-Bay and often find an Intel D845EPI (Chipset 845GV) motherboard (sometimes in a bundle with a 2.93Ghz CPU) for around $60 to $70. This whole power supply issue resulted in a successful class action suit against Gateway (mother company of E-Machine) that was settled approximately one year ago.

Basically, the original power supply provided with your e-machine (and others) has a manufacturing defect. When the power supply fails, it usually takes out the mother board and often the Celeron D340 (or Pentium 4) that came with your unit. In some cases, it even takes out the PC2700 DDRAM sticks. Given the price of that unit, it's generally not cost effective to repair. You can however go to E-Bay and often find an Intel D845EPI (Chipset 845GV) motherboard (sometimes in a bundle with a 2.93Ghz CPU) for around $60 to $70. This whole power supply issue resulted in a successful class action suit against Gateway (mother company of E-Machine) that was settled approximately one year ago.

Thanks for your note, Jaguar. I replaced the power supply and confirmed that the power supply did blow the mobo. I decided I was better off replacing the machine.

By the way, I've been busy googling for a while, and could not find any info on a class action suit. I found lots of folks asking to be part of one, but no actual suit. If you have any info on it, I would be very grateful if you passed it on.

Hello everyone,
I have an e-machine T2984 computer that recently stopped powering on. The monitor powers on fine but the tower itself does not power on. I checked the AC outlet and the power cord supplying the unit. Both of them are working fine. I also opened the computer with the power connected to the AC outlet and noticed a little green light that stays on, on the motherboard. I am not sure but I think that the light is located next to the processing chip (there is a big heat sink and fan next to the light). There is also a soft humming sound coming from the power supply area when the power plug is plugged into the AC outlet the computer will not turn however.
Can I get some advice on what to do to resolve the failure? I would like to fix this computer if it’s possible rather that get a new one.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Been working with this motherboard 210882 which goes in Gateway and E machines (T2984)(340/80/512). A friend had me look at it and wouldn't power up. Just fans blowing when plugged in. Bought a replacement for 80.00 off ebay and hooked it all up with a new power supply and it works great. As I was putting it back together and place the old 56k modem (since it wasn't my machine) in and did a final post. The green lite at the top of motherboard lite up and a red lite also flashed once. No post beeps for error. Just toasted it. I feel this motherboard is short lived and has power issues that burn the system out over time (too short a time) If you have one of these systems. Don't waste your time. Pull what you can off the system and upgrade. Lucky for me I got a replacement board from a Ebay seller, but once this things posts fine. It's going to the owner with the warning that it might only last very long and to back up files. I have had more problems with Emachines than any other system.

the way to check the power supply is to remove all connectors and connect the green wire and the black wire: it should come on. If it does not it is broken. If it comes on, remove the cover and look for burning marks, I have had seveal with visible evidence of their non-functioning. Indeed, sometimes the motherboard goes as well, I do not know what went first (cause effect problem...).

I have machine t2984 and I have replacing the power supply but the fan and the CPU is not working.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.