Hi. My husband built my pc. He's passed on. I'm trying to figure out if I have an AGP or PCI graphics slot. The device manager says it's in a pci bus, but I could have sworn he told me it was an agp.

Here are some specs:

Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 1 per processor
Number of threads 2 (max 2) per processor
Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Package Socket 478 mPGA
Family/Model/Stepping F.2.9
Extended Family/Model F.2
Brand ID 9
Core Stepping D1
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 2992.6 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 15.0 x 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3000 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 Data cache (per processor) 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache (per processor) 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache (per processor) 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Frequency 199.5 MHz (1:1)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 8 clocks
Performance Mode disabled

System

System Manufacturer
System Name
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor Intel Corporation
Mainboard Model D865PERL
BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS Version RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.0406281350
BIOS Date 06/28/2004

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Kingston
Module 2 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Kingston

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Ultimate Edition (Build 6000)
DirectX Version 10.0

...as well as this:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=278229

Any help would be nice.

Thanks,
Blumey

Recommended Answers

All 43 Replies

device manager - display adapter
what do you have there?

device manager - display adapter
what do you have there?

Not sure I follow.

start>ctrl pnl>device manager>display adapters>

yup. and what do you have when you expand the display adapters?

*hangs head* This is why I need a new one:

It's a Gforce4 MX 420 Location: PCI bus 2 device 2 fucntion 0

it's an AGP.

%100 sure? I was just going to get one off Ebay (pinching pennies and stuff) and want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Spanks!
Blumey

never heard of a gforce4 that is not agp

The easiest way to find out, is to open up the case of your PC, find the gfx card (look for where your monitor plugs into the back of the case) Then look for tiny writing along the side of the gfx card on the motherboard. If it is PCI it would say "PCI EXPRESS x16". If it does not say that then you are looking at an AGP slot. When did you get this computer? PCI-Express is now the norm for most computers.

gforce 4 was when PCI was 32bit, not express, not even eXtended

If it is AGP I'm pretty sure it will look different from the other PCI slots. Oh and I'm also fairly certain there were GeForce 4 AGP cards.

When did you get this computer? PCI-Express is now the norm for most computers.

He put it together a couple of years ago. Would I need a new mother board in order to support PCI

FX 6200 nVIDIA FX6200 256MB AGP 256 VGA Video Card is what I got off Ebay.

I also want to add another gig of ram. Will any PC3200 DDR ram work, or do I need something specific? You guys are awsome. Thanks.

I also want to add another gig of ram. Will any PC3200 DDR ram work, or do I need something specific? You guys are awesome. Thanks.

it is best to try and get an exact match to the one you all ready have .
if you don't all ready have cpu-z get it here ,and run it, and click on SPD along the top and you and even get the manufactures name ,
http://www.filehippo.com/download/fb8873cb73ed83b32a7996aa7b56bdd2/download/

... you will probably run out of questions after that :)

I ask a million! Who better to ask than you guys, though? ;)

So. That Everest program...says that I have 4 slots for ram (4 DIMM)...meaning I can just get 2 more sticks of 512? Sorry. Being pesky. I just want to know for sure that I'm doing the right thing. :)

what does it show that you have? two dimms in four slots? what dimms do you already have?

In addition to the previous program posted, you can also try this:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/loader.aspx?Agree=Yes
Crucial offer all kinds of RAM at good prices, and their scan system programme helped me when i upgraded my RAM from 512Mb to 2Gb.
For running the QuickScan application, download the application from the link above, then run it. It will then open up your browser and tell you the results. On the left hand side, check under the Specifications heading and it will say how many slots you have, and what you have in the slots if anything. Under the slots that have RAM in them, it will say what type of RAM it is.
E.g. DDR PC3200.
Then if you want to buy the upgrades from Crucial, they show you varying options that you could buy. Or you can take this information with you, and buy the RAM elsewhere.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
Available Memory Slots: 2
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Model 2, Stepping 9
CPU Speed: 2992 MHz

You guys are so much help! Thanks!!

Not the right bit :P
If you look to the far left of the screen it will have 4 banks showing in a formation of 2 at the top of the box and 2 just below them. The 2 at the top will have 512Mb in them each, underneath the two that have 512Mb written in them see the attached picture if you don't understand what i mean.
The part circled is the part that we need to know!

Thanks, sorry for the confusion :)

Oh. Sorry. k...

this is from your first post ,
Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Kingston
Module 2 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Kingston

and the link i provided for the motherboard in another post showed that the board had 4 slots!!

I'll just have to open it up.

From your attachment you can use the following RAM types:
DDR PC2700
DDR PC3200
DDR PC4000
You are currently using DDR PC3200 in two of the four slots available. Seeing as you have the same RAM type as me, when i upgraded my RAM i jumped from 512Mb up to 2 Gb buy just buying two 1Gb sticks, and replacing the existing two 256Mb ones. As long as you get one of the three types of RAM i mentioned, your computer will benefit immensely. Also changing RAM over is a simple job. If you want details on changing over RAM do post back.

From your attachment you can use the following RAM types:
DDR PC2700
DDR PC3200
DDR PC4000
You are currently using DDR PC3200 in two of the four slots available. Seeing as you have the same RAM type as me, when i upgraded my RAM i jumped from 512Mb up to 2 Gb buy just buying two 1Gb sticks, and replacing the existing two 256Mb ones. As long as you get one of the three types of RAM i mentioned, your computer will benefit immensely. Also changing RAM over is a simple job. If you want details on changing over RAM do post back.

I agree; as long as you find the right type of RAM I think it is the easiest upgrade; just plug it in :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.