I use Windows XP. This problem started a few days ago. Everytime I go online, after approximately 2 hours or so, give or take, every website/page I try to access turns up with a 'Cannot find server' page, and I have to refresh at least 3 - 5 times before the proper page shows up. Either that, or more than half the images are missing and the links are all over the place. If I reboot my comp, the problem goes away, at least, for 2 hours or so. The first time it happened, I thought it was a one time thing, faulty internet connection and all. Could this be caused by a worm/virus? Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

By the way, I am using Internet Explorer 6. The problem occurs with all websites. I have a DSL connection.

Try cycling the power of your DSL modem first. If that does not help, try the following;

Open a command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit the enter button. This will clear the dns cache of all entries.

Let us know how you go.

Try cycling the power of your DSL modem first. If that does not help, try the following;

Open a command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit the enter button. This will clear the dns cache of all entries.

Let us know how you go.

Erm, I don't really know what you mean by cycling the power, (turn off the modem and turn it on again? I've tried that b4) but I tried the second method [Run > ipconfig /flushdns] so I'm waiting to see now if it will act up again in 2 hours or not. (I just rebooted the comp when the problem popped up again) Thx!

Erm, I don't really know what you mean by cycling the power, (turn off the modem and turn it on again? I've tried that b4)

Yes, that's what I meant :).

It didn't work, I had to reboot my comp again. >.<

Have you tried upgrading to IE7, or perhaps try Firefox or Opera to try and isolate the problem?
If it happens in IE only, then we can say it's an error there. If all browsers display the same behaviour, it's obviously something elsewhere.

Have you tried upgrading to IE7, or perhaps try Firefox or Opera to try and isolate the problem?
If it happens in IE only, then we can say it's an error there. If all browsers display the same behaviour, it's obviously something elsewhere.

I can't upgrade to IE 7 because I'm using Service Pack 1 (I tried installing Service Pack 2, then IE 7, but it gave me so many problems I used System Restore to remove it. >.< So I don't know if it would have worked or not, because IE7 wouldn't let me access any pages/sites) and I'm not familiar enough with Firefox or any other browsers to want to try using them.. Are there any possible alternatives? The problem crops up almost after exactly 1 hour or so everytime, 1 second it's fine, the next everything crashes.

The reason I requested that you try another browser was to see where the problem might lie. If you have no problems with a 3rd party browser, then the problem is with IE.
All browsers work the same way and do not take long to get used to.
In the meantime try this;

Try running IEFIX.htm which will repair IE and run a System File Check.

The reason I requested that you try another browser was to see where the problem might lie. If you have no problems with a 3rd party browser, then the problem is with IE.
All browsers work the same way and do not take long to get used to.
In the meantime try this;

Try running IEFIX.htm which will repair IE and run a System File Check.

I think it worked, it's been 4 hours and nothing has happened yet. XD Thx!

No worries. Post back if it returns.

No worries. Post back if it returns.

>.< It has returned. Problem not solved.

Let's have a look at an hijackthis log just to eliminate any nasties.

Download HijackThis from here. Download it to your desktop and NOT a temporary folder.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:12:33 AM, on 4/16/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\AIMWDI~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\lg_fwupdate\fwupdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\servupdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\iFinger\iFinger.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSIService.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\Program Files\tmnet streamyx\streamyx.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kay\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1624F640-49AC-11D3-8ABD-00C04FA95EE0} - C:\PROGRA~1\iFinger\IFINGE~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.5000.1021\en-us\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FFFFFEF0-5B30-21D4-945D-000000000000} - C:\PROGRA~1\STARDO~1\SDIEInt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.5000.1021\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AIMWDInstallFilename] C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\AIMWDI~1.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Language\Language.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LGODDFU] "C:\Program Files\lg_fwupdate\fwupdate.exe" blrun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows USB Monitor] servupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows USB Monitor] servupdate.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: iFinger.lnk = C:\Program Files\iFinger\iFinger.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: TabUserW.exe.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Star Downloader - C:\PROGRA~1\STARDO~1\sdie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: iFinger - {936E5D60-596C-11D3-BB96-00600816DF55} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {48884C41-EFAC-433D-958A-9FADAC41408E} (EGamesPlugin Class) - https://www.e-games.com.my/com/EGamesPlugin.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7AC5F0DA-6858-4CC4-BC14-7250DF266272}: NameServer = 202.188.1.5 202.188.0.133
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe

--
End of file - 8116 bytes

Locate the following file and upload it for a scan and post back the results.

servupdate.exe

http://virusscan.jotti.org/ or to http://www.virustotal.com/en/virustotalf.html

Service load: 0% 100%

File: SERVUPDATE.EXE-03090480.pf
MD5: ccdb5bf284c9fbd043d1ee75186630ab
Packers detected: -
Bit9 reports: File not found

Scan taken on 16 Apr 2008 03:33:42 (GMT)
A-Squared Found nothing
AntiVir Found nothing
ArcaVir Found nothing
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found nothing
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV Found nothing
CPsecure Found nothing
Dr.Web Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus Found nothing
Fortinet Found nothing
Ikarus Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found nothing
Panda Antivirus Found nothing
Sophos Antivirus Found nothing
VirusBuster Found nothing
VBA32 Found nothing

I still do not like the look of that file. unless you know what it is, can you do the following;

Locate the file again and right click on it. Select Properties and post back everything you can about it.

==

Please download ComboFix by sUBs from HERE or HERE

• You must download it to and run it from your Desktop
  • Physically disconnect from the internet.
  • Now STOP all your monitoring programs (Antivirus/Antispyware, Guards and Shields) as they could easily interfere with ComboFix.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a log. Please save that log to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log
  • Re-enable all the programs that were disabled during the running of ComboFix..

Note:
Do not mouse-click combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

I tried running CF but when it came to preparing the log file, it went on for over an hour and a half until I exited it. But even after that, I had to reboot the comp cos there were no icons or anything else on my desktop. Was it supposed to take a long time? The window just said 'Preparing log file, do not run any programs until CF has completed' or something like that. I disabled my Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect before running it.

Property of Servupdate : http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5162/serveupdatexj7.jpg

Is that file found anywhere else on your pc? Not sure why combofix did not finish.

Please download and install AVG antispyware tool

• Close all other Applications Select language click Ok
  • Click I Agree
  • Click next
  • Click Install
  • Click Finish
  • Wait and AVG antispyware will open to the main screen automatically.
  • Wait again a few minutes and AVG antispyware Should Auto update itself. If it doesn't click update at top of screen.
  • It is very important that you get updated
  • When updating has finished. Close AVG antispyware.

If you have an "always on" connection to the internet, physically disconnect that connection until you are finished with Safe Mode and have rebooted back into normal mode.

• Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear use arrow up to highlight
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode hit enter.
  • For additional help in booting into Safe Mode, see the following site: HERE

You MUST manage to get into Safe Mode for the fix to work.

Make sure to close all open windows/programs/folders. Have nothing else open while AVG antispyware performs its scan!

• Run AVG antispyware.
  • Click on scanner at top of AVG antispyware screen.
  • Click on Settings.
  • Under How to Act click on Recommended Action and choose Quarantine.
  • Under How to scan all boxes should be selected.
  • Under Possibly unwanted software all boxes should be selected.
  • On right side under Reports: click on Do not automatically generate report after every scan.
  • Under What to scan select scan every file.
  • Click On scan Tab.
  • Click on Complete system scan.
  • Let the program scan the machine It can take awhile give it time.
  • When scan has finished at bottom of screen click Apply all Actions.
  • Click Save report
  • Click Save Report as (Save as window's screen should pop up.)
  • Click desktop.
  • Click Save.
  • Exit AVG antispyware.

Reboot back to normal mode.
Post the log here.

I'm sitting for my finals next week, so I don't have time to tackle my PC. I'll be back with a post on how your proposed solution worked, but for now, I'll be absent for 2 weeks. ^^;

No worries :). Good luck.

No worries :). Good luck.

I'm back! And the problem seems to have dissapeared by itself. ._. Which is kinda super weird.. but even if I leave the connection on from morning till night, nothing happens.

Computers, eh :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.