Another option is to use your XP CD to do a repair installation of XP. You will not lose any info, but you will need to redownload any security updates or service packs.

Here is your answer this works - After you remove all the bad trojans on your windows pc go to run command and type regedit, browse to HK_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International "highlight it" on the right look for "StimeFormat" you will notice it says "Virus Alert!" modify it to look like this under value entry: h:mm:ss tt (now just logoff and log back on :)

Thanks, blazenlead, it worked beautifully.

Now all I need to do is find out why I can't see the C: drive in Explorer.

(I can however see it if I right click "start" and choose 'explore' and that is how I access it right now.)

I've superantispyware, amongst others, work on my machine and I don't believe there's any malware in there at the moment. Just residual screw ups such as the time/date thing you found for us.

You wouldn't have a similar fix for the Explorer C: drive thing?

regards,

ab :)

Thanks, blazenlead, it worked beautifully.

Now all I need to do is find out why I can't see the C: drive in Explorer.

(I can however see it if I right click "start" and choose 'explore' and that is how I access it right now.)

I've superantispyware, amongst others, work on my machine and I don't believe there's any malware in there at the moment. Just residual screw ups such as the time/date thing you found for us.

You wouldn't have a similar fix for the Explorer C: drive thing?

regards,

No problem
Go to regedit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
highlight explorer and make sure NoviewOnDrive setting looks like this:
NoViewOnDrive=dword:00000000
You should now log off and log back on :)

For the trojans I used avast and ran a boot time scan and it took care of all trojans that causes these headaches. www.avast.com the home version is free and dont forget to register to get your free key. I requested viruses/trojans to be deleted.

Go here if you need more regedit fixes they helped me.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Note: you can always right click and choose edit to find the paths after you download them to your local drive. hope this helped.

Thanks very much for that. I'm downloading Avast and I'll give it a run. That's a totally excellent site you pointed me to - but highly technical on first glance. I can't even, yet, figure out how to search for what you might want.

And I'll have search because my registry doesn't have the key you mention. It has one called 'nodrives', maybe that could be doing it?

I've attached a screengrab of my regedit screen.

Kellys korner actually has a part there where they say superantispyware is the best - but I still get a positive with AVG on every boot up and something else I ran found heaps (but wouldn't remove them until I bought it and I won't buy it because I suspect it of being a trap).

So I'll believe one has to use more than. Even more than the best.

I would like to know how they get in. How do they get to alter the registry without me knowing? Without my resident protection knowing?

regards,

ab

Thanks very much for that. I'm downloading Avast and I'll give it a run. That's a totally excellent site you pointed me to - but highly technical on first glance. I can't even, yet, figure out how to search for what you might want.

And I'll have search because my registry doesn't have the key you mention. It has one called 'nodrives', maybe that could be doing it?

I've attached a screengrab of my regedit screen.

Kellys korner actually has a part there where they say superantispyware is the best - but I still get a positive with AVG on every boot up and something else I ran found heaps (but wouldn't remove them until I bought it and I won't buy it because I suspect it of being a trap).

So I'll believe one has to use more than. Even more than the best.

I would like to know how they get in. How do they get to alter the registry without me knowing? Without my resident protection knowing?

regards,

ab

AB,
Thanks for the screen shot
Here is what you need to do.

Change your NoDrives value to a zero it should look like this:

NoDrive = 0x00000000(0)

Log off log on :)

AB
Make sure you are scanning for spyware on your computer for every user account you have. Log in to each account and do a spyware scan.
Avast has a screensaver scan while the computer idles turn it on. They can be getting in through email links. Dont open emails that are not from your known friends. I got mine through email links.
:)

Thanks again. That's twice you've helped me. I can now see all of the C: drive from Explorer. What a simple way of screwing up your computer they had before them!

It never occurred to me it'd be a registry key. Why on earth such keys?

I didn't check that screengrab until now. How that screengrabpro banner got stuck in the middle of it I don't know. It still enabled you to see the key I was talking about though. So I suppose it worked out okay.

I'll do that scan for every user account. I've only got three.

Thanks again.

regards,

i just ended up getting the Virus Alert! icon right next to my time in the task bar, i cant open my c-drive when i try to CTRL+ALT+Delet it says the Systems Admin took that abbility away from me, yet im the admin for my pc, i cant get to my display, and my abbility to Fast switch is gone as well, i did have a background link on my background, but its gone for now, but for the moment, i dont knwo what to do to get rid of it, each time i try to get any spyware/adware remover, either the setup ends up getting currupted, or the link off the page isnt accessable, is there anything i can do?

Tensokun. There sure is something you can do. Read the stickies at the top of the forum, then start your own thread explaining your problem and post your logs :).
Welcome to Daniweb :)

ok so i had this virus tonight.. what a nightmare, i did the program you guys said to use the virus is gone now but now my desktop has a grey icon that wont go away.. any idea how to get rid of it? i can see my wallper if i lower my taskbar then it goes grey its weird, any idea how to fix this would be greatly appreciative .. thanks guys

nevermind i figured out there was a weird icon so i closed it lol dunno wht that was but thanks for the help... no fucking idea how i got this virus!! all i know is i got it through AVG.. i will NOT use avg ever again

ok i noticed my "recent files is gone.. and my music, on the start menu.. how can i make those come back?..

ok nevermind i figured it out.. lol >.>;

hey..so basically im new to all this...where do i even start from SAFE MODE???

i need some serious help...how do i download anything???

so, i ended up figuring all that out. Thank you for all your help. If something similar to this problem creeps up again, I will post again. Thank you so much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.