I'm experiencing a similar problem and I ran (as crunchie suggested) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which discovered 12 items my previous anti-spyware (STOPzilla, I can't believe I paid for it as I usually never buy this kind of thing) didn't find. STOPzilla has stopped working after I booted up today and my original problems (not being able to access my Control Panel or perform a Windows Update) are still problems that it never fixed anyways. I'm posting my Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware results here now:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.21
Database version: 971
Windows 6.0.6000

12:36:40 PM 7/20/2008
mbam-log-7-20-2008 (12-36-40).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 144515
Time elapsed: 52 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 9
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ekvgsnw.bltm (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ekvgsnw.toolbar.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vac.video (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7fcab5d2-b5f4-407f-b920-a41a13f29488} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{b9fb244b-358c-4c6f-a063-bd66e8d3427a} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{ca71ec92-1809-4352-8671-451fce3d607b} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{ae0635a6-2b7d-46bd-ac4b-7c5192d04a0f} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\newmediacodec.videosupport (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\mediaeldoradocodec (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\MediaEldoradoCodec (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\MediaEldoradoCodec\install.ico (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MediaEldoradoCodec\Uninstall.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
---------------------------------------------------------

Please help me as the guys at STOPzilla (even though I paid for their product, which won't even run anymore) aren't helping!

Thanks,
DrGAKMAN

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What anti-virus program are you using? What firewall?
What happens when you try to get to Windows Update? What happens when you try to open the Control Panel?

Hi,

First of all, could you post a Hijack This log as this will reveal all the processes linked to the problem. Make sure that you close all other instances of any program before you run it.
Again, did you run a full system scan with a good, trusted anti-virus software like AVG? If it does find any viruses, it will quarantine them, or attempt to heal them. After running the scan, get SDfix from here. Just run the program, and it should re-enable all disabled components.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.