Hi,
Recently I've made a conversion from FAT32 to NTFS on the disk C of my laptop where XP Pro is installed. On the same disk of the laptop it was already existent a partition D with NTFS, which I use to store my data.

Since the moment I made the conversion a problem appeared: when I try to copy or move a file from C to D the operation doesn't complete and remains suspended; if I cancel the operation, the file copied on D can't be used and if I try to cancel it the system announces me that the resource is blocked (using Unlocker I see that the resource is being blocked by Explorer, so then I unblock and cancel the fake copy from D).

Is there anyone that could tell me what has happened and how can I solve the problem without reformating?
Thanks in advance.

No problem, all you need to do is convert your FAT32 drive to NTFS or your NTFS drive to FAT32. If you can see the diskdrive in windows (I assume your using windows if your using NTFS)

Open a cmd prompt and type:
Convert C: /FS:NTFS

Or of corse the others alternative :)

BTW you should not have to change your file system like this, I am just recommending this as NTFS indexing is far better than FAT32 and will cost you alot less headaches. (Like this one)

It sounds like you have a problem with the fat32 filesystem. I would before converting your drive to NTFS run a full defrag and a chkdsk /F C:

No problem, all you need to do is convert your FAT32 drive to NTFS or your NTFS drive to FAT32. If you can see the diskdrive in windows (I assume your using windows if your using NTFS)

I have already made the conversion from FAT32 to NFTS, before your reply (read again my first message)! When the partition was FAT32, there was no problem. The problem I am talking about appeared precisely because of the conversion.

I have already written that XP Pro (obviously Windows) is installed on my laptop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.