I don't know if anyone has addressed this issue previously, but I am having a horrible time getting rid of this www.searchportal.com. Whenever I try to go to my start page in IE, this searchportal page comes up instead of my usual comcast.net page. I have tried everything short of uninstalling IE to get rid of this thing, but I can't. I went into regedit and reset my start page, I tried chaning it in IE internet options, and even when I change it, it changes back on its own. I am at my wit's end!! Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Any suggestions?

Yup. Since you have the SearchPortal hijack, you probably have other nasties as well. Let's do some general cleanup:

A) Run a full anti-virus scan, making sure that your anti-virus program is using the most current virus definition updates.

B) Download and run Ad Aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy (links are in my sig below).

Follow these directions for configuring Ad Aware (directions courtesy of our member "crunchie"):

1. Download and Install Ad-Aware SE, keeping the default options. However, some of the settings will need to be changed before your first scan

2.Close ALL windows except Ad-Aware SE

3. Click on the‘world’ icon at the top right of the Ad-Aware SE window and let AdAware SE update the reference list for the adware and malware.

4. Once the update is finished click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left at the top of the window) to access the preferences/settings window

1) In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected in green:
*Automatically save log-file
*Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
*Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

Under Definitions:
*Prompt to udate outdated definitions - set the number of days

2) Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select in green :

Under Driver, Folders & Files:
*Scan Within Archives

Under Select drives & folders to scan -
*choose all hard drives

Under Memory & Registry: all green
*Scan Active Processes
*Scan Registry
*Deep Scan Registry
*Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
*Scan my Hosts file

3) Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select in green:

Under Shell Integration:
*Move deleted files to recycle bin

Under Logfile Detail Level: (all green)
*include addtional object information
*DESELECT - include negligible objects information
*include environment information

Under Alternate Data Streams:
*Don't log streams smaller than 0 bytes
*Don't log ADS with the following names: CA_INOCULATEIT

4) Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select in green:

Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
*Unload recognized processes during scanning
*Scan registry for all users instead of current user only

Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
*Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

Under the Log Files:
*Include basic Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Include additional Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Please do not check or make green: Include Module list in logfile

5. Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.

6. Click ‘Start’

*Choose:'Perform Full System Scan'
*DESELECT "Search for negligible risk entries", as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat.

7. Click ‘Next’ and Ad-Aware SE will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected and clean automatically.

8. If Ad-Aware SE finds bad entries, you will receive a list of what it found in the window

9. Save the log file when it asks and then click ‘finish’

10. REBOOT to complete the removal of what Ad-Aware SE found

* Run SpyBot.

When you first run SpyBot, it will walk you through a Wizard which will perform a few critical functions (making a registry backup, getting the latest updates, etc.).

1. Perform all of the Wizard's tasks.
2. Run the program. Once it completes, have it fix everything it finds.
3. Reboot.

C) Boot into Safe Mode (do this by hitting the F8 key as the computer is booting) and:

- Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu, select "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

- For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete everything inside the following folders (don't delete the folders themselves though):

1. Local Settings\Temp
2. Cookies
3. History
4. Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

- Delete the entire content of your C:\Windows\Temp folder.

(If you get any messages concerning the deletion of system files such as desktop.ini or index.dat, just choose to delete those files; they'll be automatically regenerated by Windows if needed.)

- Empty your Recycle Bin.

- Reboot normally.

D) After doing all of the above:

- Download HijackThis (link also in my sig). Create a new separate folder on your drive for HijackThis, move the program into thids folder, and run it from there. (Don't run HJT from within any Temp or Temporary Internet folder, and don't run it directly from your desktop.) Do not have HJT fix anything yet, only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...". Save the log in the folder you created for HiajckThis, open the log in Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the log here. The log contents will tell us a lot about what "nasties" have crept into your system, and once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.

I know the above all looks pretty involved, but unfortunately it's the "standard drill", and it will help.

Thanks for all the help!!!! I did everything in the original reply and I am pasting my HijackThis log to this email...hope this helps us get the problem solved.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:53:56 PM, on 11/22/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\inetdata\services.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehSched.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\waol.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\shellmon.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aolwbspd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\My Downloads\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hpdarc.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.searchportal.info/10039/
F1 - win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\inetdata\services.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\System32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows AdControl] C:\Program Files\Windows AdControl\WinAdCtl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xp_system] C:\WINDOWS\inetdata\services.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [xp_system] C:\WINDOWS\inetdata\services.exe
O4 - Startup: IMStart.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterMute\IMStart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {0335A685-ED24-4F7B-A08E-3BD15D84E668} - http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/128985-NZIL/PhPSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} (AOL Content Update) - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/1881054c9ef971349015/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/suite/yautocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/popcap/zuma/popcaploader_v6.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3B0B6E92-9CAC-4BE9-A299-37711FBC82B1}: NameServer = 205.188.146.146

OK-

1. I believe the searchportal hijack is related to the CoolWebSearch (CWS) family of hijackers. Please download the CWShredder utility from here. Open the program and click the "Fix" button; it will scan your system and automatically fix any CWS infections it finds. *Note that some of the CWS variants are extremely difficult to remove though, so CWShredder might not do the trick entirely.

2. You are running an old version of HijackThis. Please download the latest version (1.98.2) from here, run the program, and post the log from that version.

When you download and run HijackThis, please keep the following in mind:

Create a separate, new folder for it somewhere on you hard drive (something like C:\hijackthis or C:\downloads\hijackthis will do). This will allow HJT to create a backup file in this folder, which you can use to restore your settings if you have HJT “fix something that it shouldn’t have. Don’t run HJT directly from your C:\ folder, your desktop, or from any Temporary, Temporary Internet, or Temp folder.

Thanks!!!
I downloaded and ran CWShredder and I also downloaded and ran the new HijackThis. Here is the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 6:29:19 PM, on 11/24/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\inetdata\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehSched.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\waol.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\shellmon.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aolwbspd.exe
c:\program files\InterMute\SpySubtract\CWShredder.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis[1].zip\HijackThis.exe

F3 - REG:win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\inetdata\services.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\System32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows AdControl] C:\Program Files\Windows AdControl\WinAdCtl.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Startup: IMStart.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterMute\IMStart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {0335A685-ED24-4F7B-A08E-3BD15D84E668} - http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/128985-NZIL/PhPSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} (AOL Content Update) - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/1881054c9ef971349015/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/suite/yautocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/popcap/zuma/popcaploader_v6.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3B0B6E92-9CAC-4BE9-A299-37711FBC82B1}: NameServer = 205.188.146.146
O18 - Protocol: cetihpz - {CF184AD3-CDCB-4168-A3F7-8E447D129300} - C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hpuiprot.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis[1].zip\HijackThis.exe

1. You are still running HJT from within a Temporary folder; please move it to its own folder which does not live within/under any Temp or Temporary folder. The contents of Temp folders aren't permanent, and often get deleted in the course of routine system clean-up and/or troubleshooting.

Create a new folder such as C:\HijackThis, C:\Downloads\HijackThis, or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis and move the program to that folder.

2. Temporarily disable System Restore. Info and instructions are here.

3. Once you've moved HJT into the new folder, make sure to close all Internet browsers (Internet Explorer, AOL, etc.) and run HJT again. Have HTJ fix these entries:

F3 - REG:win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\inetdata\services.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)

(Note those last two "04" entries: they look the same in the log, but they're really two different registry entries; make sure you fix both.)

4. Delete the entire C:\WINDOWS\inetdata folder.

5. Empty your Recycle Bin and reboot your computer.

Let us know if that does the trick.

Okay, I did everything except delete C:\Windows\inetdata folder, because I wasn't allowed to . I received an error message that said the disk was full, write protected or the file was in use. Additionally, I deleted everything in the folder except one file which was called 'services'. I got the same message. Did I do everything right?

Did I do everything right?

Unfortunately, no; but that was my fault. The "services.exe" program in the inetdata folder is root of the problem, and you do need to delete it.

You couldn't delete it (or the inetdata folder itself) because the services.exe program was still running, and that was because I forgot one crucial instruction in my last post:

After having HijackThis fix the entries I mentioned, I should have had you do the following; please do this now:

- Reboot into safe mode (you get to the Safe Mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up).

- Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu, select "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

- Delete the entire C:\WINDOWS\inetdata folder.

- For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders:

1. Local Settings\Temp
2. Cookies
3. History

(If you get any messages concerning the deletion of system files such as desktop.ini or index.dat, just choose to delete those files; they'll be automatically regenerated by Windows if needed.)

- Reboot normally.

- Run HJT again; if the problem still persists, post a new log.

I did everything, and finally...success!!! Thanks so much for all of your help. I guess the only thing left is for me to ask if there is anything I need to do to prevent this program from attacking again. I have installed ZoneAlarm and deny all programs that ask for permission to run.

Unfortunately, no; but that was my fault. The "services.exe" program in the inetdata folder is root of the problem, and you do need to delete it.

You couldn't delete it (or the inetdata folder itself) because the services.exe program was still running, and that was because I forgot one crucial instruction in my last post:

After having HijackThis fix the entries I mentioned, I should have had you do the following; please do this now:

- Reboot into safe mode (you get to the Safe Mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up).

- Delete the entire C:\WINDOWS\inetdata folder.

- For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders:

1. Local Settings\Temp
2. Cookies
3. History

- Reboot normally.

- Run HJT again; if the problem still persists, post a new log.

Glad we could help you banish the Gremlins! :)

There are a few things you can/should do to minimize your chances of future virus/malware infections. The firewall is a good start; here are some other suggestions:

1. Use Windows Automatic Update function to keep your system as up-to-date as possible with the most current Microsoft security and bug fixes.

2. Stop using Internet Explorer as your web browser. Because IE is so closely tied into the Windows operating system itself and contains so many security flaws, switching to another browser such as Netscape, Firefox, or Opera will greatly reduce the avenues through which spyware/adware/hijackers/etc. can infect your computer.

3. Install preventative utilities such as SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard (links are in my sig below), especially if you absolutely have to continue using Internet Exploder. These utilities protect areas of your system known to be vulnerable to malicious attacks.

4. Tighten up some of Internet Explorer's existing, default settings to make it more secure. Some info on that can be found here.

5. Obviously-install a good anti-virus program and enable its "auto-protect" and email-scanning features.

6. None of your utilities are of much good if you don't check for updates frequently; updates for anti-spyware/anti-virus programs can be released as often as ever two or three days.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.