I believe I had a virus last month, called itself something referring to a security program. I have AVG 8 and I don't remember it calling my attention to it. Well, I ran a scan and deleted infected files, ran "Registry Cleaner" and "Pit Stop Optimizer" and cleaned everything as well as I can (I use my computer for my work, but I'm certainly not even close to understanding the inner workings of how and why computers do things).

Now it seems since that fateful day, my AVG won't update. I also have lost my AVG firewall altogether. My Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware are out of date.

Also, all my Google searches are redirected every single time. I have to "copy" and "paste" the addresses into the address bar to get where I requested to go.

As far as AVG goes, I would just unload and reload my licensed package from the website...but I can't get to the website to do that. I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello again, I posted the other day and I could still use someone's help. I'm not hearing anything back from AVG at all and I still have a problem of redirecting google and the AVG Firewall dissapearing. IE won't go to avg.com where I can re-download my software.

You people are smart, I've been reading these posts. It sounds like the one's that offer help know what they are talking about...I could sure use some of that knowledge.

I'm new at this, so I don't know what programs to download and run, or even what to look for if I did run them.

PLEASE HELP ME O SMART ONES!!

Hi and welcome to the Daniweb forums :).

==========

Read the Read Me posts at the head of the forum and follow the instuctions there. Post back when you are done.

Download HijackThis Executable from here. Save it to your desktop.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and then go to the format Tab and make sure that wordwrap is unchecked. Copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

I'm having the same problem, same exact thing. Can anyone fix this?

I'm having the same problem, same exact thing. Can anyone fix this?

I downloaded "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware", ran the full scan and it fixed the problem. Seems that some "fake" program is out there and gets on your computer (it downloads itself, without your permission). You can get the Malware program from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It worked for me, I hope it works for you too.

I downloaded "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware", ran the full scan and it fixed the problem. Seems that some "fake" program is out there and gets on your computer (it downloads itself, without your permission). You can get the Malware program from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I downloaded Dr.Web - CureIt! on my laptop (not the infected computer) and put it on a flash drive. Took, that, put in on my desktop, then ran the scan (quick scan to get the real bad stuff out - then full scan). It worked really well. My desktop (as far as right now) is fixed. We'll see how it goes. AVG works now, and so does google, yahoo, msn. No more go.whatever B.S.

Thanks for telling us :icon_rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.