I have tried everything I can think of to get IE back. First IE 7 stopped working and advice from India ended up with suggesting downloading the new version IE Beta 2 which doesn't work either. Have tried disabling add-ons...no good. I get the message check
HTTP port 80
HTTPS port 443
FTP port 2
HOW do I do that?!!!! I am an amateur at this.
I also looked at Firewall settings in Control box which looked perfectly normal (not xtra high)...
I hate to give up and call some-one expensive in. I suspect a Microsoft update because it had been perfectly alright. Outlook Express is working and Yahoo for the internet as now. Any ideas?
Would very grateful. In simple language please. Would RegCure be likely to help...do other people who know about these things use this ? Thanks. Julia

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

hi, i wouldn't use regCure yet or ever maybe !
when do you get this error .
have you tried Firefox browser

Why wouldn't I use RegCure? Has detected approx 1400 errors?? But I haven't signed up yet.
I guess I am just used to IE but will try Firefox. My guess is that it won't download because of whtaever is blocking IE....I tried the Google ...silver? whatever... and that was blocked.
Technology is wonderful...when it works!
Thanks.

Failed to Connect        
The connection was refused when attempting to contact en-gb.[url]www.mozilla.com[/url].

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
    *  Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    *  Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network connection.
    *  Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

I tried to download Firefox...
this is what I get...
????

RegCure is a scam. Says there are errors when they arent. Wil lalso charge you more than they say and will install spyware and viruses on your machine. Looks like a problem with your firewall or maybe malware from the regcure trial.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
post the log back here

Thanks I will hold my fire/money then...RegCure has lots of good reviews and while I know that can be faked ...there are a LOT of good reviews.
Something is stopping IE from working ..yes'firewalls' but HOW do I check them? I have looked in the obvious places (Control box). And all I can find out by other means is that the ports are not working.
Now I will try your suggestions which should have done first. THANKS!

Thankyou...
will try that tomorrow though I will be surprised to find any evil on my machine as Norton is constantly checking.
THANKS very much All...I am such a novice bur hate to give in to the £45 an hour mob!

Julia, believe jb on RegCure. A waste of money, imo. What it detects are benign and useless things like unassigned file extensions, stored "history" items like MRU [most recently used] lists for applications, and some of the keys and values for uninstalled apps. It won't actually fix anything except by pure chance. Your registry is huge, 1400 items are as nothing. And they probably rarely get read by anything; some are revolved out.
Save the firefox 3.04 file to another computer, transfer it by thumbdrive, run it to install; if FF will browse it will give us an idea as to which direction the fault lies.
Turning off your firewall and turning on the Windows firewall may help, may not.
A problem may arise in that all? browsers use a lot of native Windows OS files so the fault may carry over to FF. But we shall see. Opera is another good browser.
MBAM will be difficult to update without a connection, if you wish to employ it as a check. But download, save the installer file from http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html, then dl this latest updates file: http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/mbam-rules.exe , both to a thumdrive.
Run the installer, when it completes uncheck the Launch and Update boxes. Next, dclick the mbam-rules.exe file, it will install into MBAM.
Start MBAM via the icon and ...
Select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you... do not click the Save Logfile button.
When it completes examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Post the Notepad log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].

Yeah, the registry function in CCLeaner (free) is probably better lol

Post the malwarebytes log. I wil move this to the malware boatrd.

Compufuss

After 7 hours scanning!!!! You must be the first to know....
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1306
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

24/11/2008 18:38:34
mbam-log-2008-11-24 (18-38-34).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 143287
Time elapsed: 6 hour(s), 57 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 50

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8e13dde1-e013-47ec-9c4c-27c2f78bdd26} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\Bug Doctor Help.chm (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\Get Bonuses (2).url (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\Get Bonuses.url (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\unins000.dat (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\bug.swf (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fixing_error-disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fixing_error-normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fixing_error-pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fixing_error-rollover.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fix_complete-disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fix_complete-normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fix_complete-pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\fix_complete-roll_over.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\LiveUpdate_disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\LiveUpdate_normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\LiveUpdate_pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\LiveUpdate_rollover.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\main_disable.jpg (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\main_enable.jpg (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\main_pressed.jpg (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\main_roll_over.jpg (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\mask.bmp (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\mask1.bmp (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scan.swf (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scancomplete.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scanning_error-disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scanning_error-normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scanning_error-pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scanning_error-rollover.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scan_complete-disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scan_complete-normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scan_complete-pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\scan_complete-roll_over.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\schedule_disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\schedule_normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\schedule_pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\schedule_rollover.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\SubMainDisable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\SubMainNormal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\SubMainPressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\SubMainRollOver.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\support_disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\support_normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\support_pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\support_rollover.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\Thumbs.db (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\unlock_key-disable.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\unlock_key-normal.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\unlock_key-pressed.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Bug Doctor\skin\unlock_key-roll_over.gif (Rogue.BugDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I couldn't believe how long the scan took and I was uncertain as to whether I could use the computer at the same time!
Anyway...there WAS some rubbish as you see...but whether that will make any difference to IE is another matter...let's see!

[B]ALAS [/B]NO Luck

This is the log from Microsoft Explorer 'diagnosis'Rathet a lot!
Last diagnostic run time: 11/24/08 18:46:23 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.
info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: no
info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes
No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info Could not get proxy settings via the Automatic Proxy Configuration mechanism
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.254
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.64
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host 207.46.192.254 was successfully reached
info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully reached
info The default gateway is OK

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.64

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection 2, Device=1394 Net Adapter #2, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

What I also meant to say was THANKS ALL and obviously Norton lets some through and I am glad to have installed Malware stuff ....But IE remains coy! Any ideas? Should I get rid of it completely? (lose my long list of links)....
Is it true that I should have turned Norton off when I installed IE8 Beta2 ??? ... It didn't tell me to do that.
Time for a large scotch! I thought it was going to scan until next year!

Is your DNS server down? It cant seem to contact it...

try and use IE to go to 74.53.219.188

It should take you to daniweb. If the IP abobe works, but www.daniweb.com doesnt, then it confirms you have a DNS error

Secondly, a vundo infection was found. Check its fully removed by running VundoFix.

http://vundofix.atribune.org/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.