I am still struggling with the adware guys! Haven't been able to delete it. I got the upgrade for Norton Antivirus 2005 hoping it would help but it only tells me what I already knew, that I have it and where they are located, but it will not remove them. I went to their website and downloaded their instructions for removal, but they tell me to use Add/Remove to delete it and they don't even appear in that list! So I want to ask any of you ingenious techies to help me out. I cannot see the WinAdToolsX at all and the other one doesn't let me remove it. I have followed all the other instrecutions previously given (delete cookies, empty temp files, etc., running Ad-Aware and Spybot, Trojan Hunter, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, a firewall, anti-pop-up software,but the problem persists.) I detected the source of IExploreSkins when I visited the Toolbar.cab in Safe Mode. It was injected into my computer when I downloaded WinZip's free trial software (from their site!) I unistalled the thing, but the adware remains. I would post a HijackThis log but the last time I did it, nobody could see anything wrong in it, so I will not waste your time with that since it didn't help, besides, I no longer have a way to unzip it. Can anyone help me delete these vermin? They are slowing me down a lot! I operate on WinME.
Thank you!

IExploreSkins.exe is located at
C:\Windows\Temp\Toolbar.cab

The WinAdToolsX.dll
is located at
C:\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\0VIN2E3D\bridge-c18[1].cab

How do I reach in there? I can find the IExploreSkins one in the Toolbar.cab while on Safe Mode but it will not let me touch it!

Thank you Cruchie! I got the new version of HijackThis that doesn't need WinZip! Here's my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 12:52:20 PM, on 1/20/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\IWP\NPFMNTOR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKUFIND.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB05.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPERPROFESSIONAL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SNDSRVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK\HIJACKTHIS_SFX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SmcService] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperProfessional] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPERPROFESSIONAL.EXE"
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

Thank you again guys! :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Clear out your Temporary internet files and other temp files.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel >Internet Options.

Under the General tab click the Delete temporary internet files,
delete all Offline content as well. Clear out Cookies.

Also, go to Start > Find/search > Files or folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit > select all -> File > delete.

Empty/delete the entire contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp folder, if you have one. (Contents but not the folder itself.)

In order to view these files you may have to select 'show hidden files/folders.' Instructions on how to here.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Thanks Crunchie! I thought I had done all of that, but this thing keeps coming up! I'll try again. I missed a step or two. (By the way, it doesn't
show the files when I am in Safe mode. It only shows one of them in the "cab" in Safe Mode but it won't allow itself to be deleted. I will try with the show hidden files again, but I have done that severla times and they files won't be seen there. Maybe they are getting sneakier.)
Take care! :o

If what crunchie advised didn't work you can try this:

for WinAdsToolSX.dll

To uninstall these modules from memory, type regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\downlo~1\ followed by the DLL file name, e.g. regsvr32 /u “%systemroot%\downlo~1\HDPlugin1015.dll. Remember to add the quote marks. Delete the files after uninstall by typing del followed by the file name e.g. del hdplugin1015.dll or rename it to another extension e.g. ren bridgex.dll bridgex.bak. Doing so will enable you to know how often the spyware came back.

You may also wish to run regedit (Start, Run, type regedit at prompt) to remove any traces of the above or some other suspicious entries in the following keys. Please be sure you know what you are doing because a wrong deletion may cause your system to become unstable.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ModuleUsage
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

Also do a scan using Spybot Search & Destroy or any other spyware removal tools and fix any problem that it detects.

Reboot in safe mode by pressing F8 when the computer is restarting.

step1: run adaware SE in my signature

step2: click start--run--type "regedit"--and check the run folders at the end of these paths for suspicious looking keys, if your not sure about a key type it in google to find out what it is. (don't delete anything you're not sure of)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

step3: open the c:\documents and settings\(user name)\local settings(if you cant see this folder then click tools-folder options-view tab-check show hidden files [tools is at the top with "file", "edit", etc.])\temp <--clear out this folder and also the temp internet folder.

step4: open c:\program files\windows\system32 and select the view as "details" so you can see the date they were modified. Arrange them by date and look at the more recent ones for any signs of .holax or anything that looks like a virus or a suspicious .dll, like I said earlier if your not sure what it is type it in google.

step5: make sure you got all the windows updates, you have a up to date virus scanner, and I suggest a firewall like ZoneAlarm (pay attention you only need the free firewall) [http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/promotions/zap4/zap_trial.jsp]

the whole time you should be looking for that winadtoolsx or the other one.If you see any signs of them delete em

Thank you guys! I will try ALL the suggestions because I haven't been able to get rid of these critters yet.
Take care!

If you plan to edit the Registry, you should make a backup before making any changes. At the top of the Registry window, click on the Registry menu, click Export Registry File. In the Export range panel, click All, then save your registry as Backup.

Thank you! I went into the regedit after I had followed ALL the instructions all of you had given and by the time I did, there was no trojan keys I could delete, somehow, they were gone. I still, though have a straggler. I have a piece of it that comes up when I first go online, but I ignore it. My firewall announces that something is trying to communicate with my computer and I deny it access. It is a lot better than before. Less crashes. It says that my .DLLs have been altered. But I don't even dare to address that.
Take care!

Close all browser windows, scan with HJT, and post a new log please.

I deleted WinZip (for obvious reasons, since it was the thing that got me in trouble in the first place) and now I cannot get HijackThis to open. I've tried, but I cannot get it to open. It asks to be unzipped and to unzip it with WinZip.
Sorry. :o

Thanks, Caperjack! I just downloaded it. We're having one storm after another in Arizona and today there's lightning in the forecast, so I don't know if I'll have the chance to make my log today. I'll make it and post it as soon as I can.
Take care!

Hi! In a peaceful moment between back to back storms hitting our area, I was able to use the new HijackThis download, here's my log guys:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:00:56 AM, on 2/23/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\IWP\NPFMNTOR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKUFIND.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB05.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPERPROFESSIONAL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SNDSRVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SmcService] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperProfessional] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPERPROFESSIONAL.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Begone] C:\FREESCAN\FREESCAN.EXE -FastScan
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

Thank you as always, for all your help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.