OK, I already had malware downloaded, and ran through th steps provided on th first post in nasties thread. Once again th malware scan locked up my puter when it hit th cyberlink camera files. Can't just open taskmgr and close not responding app, I mean REALLy locked up. I have to do a hard stop (hold onoff button down).
I did manage to get through a quick scan without lockup, it showed no viruses or malware.
A little more info, I have my acct (admin) puter guru (admin) and my sons acct. I have to log into sons acct to get to th web with any success, it just ends up locking up if I try any other acct. I still lock up occaisionally on sons acct but not often.
Th offending problems began a few weeks ago when I booted up one mornin and I had an AOL homepage instead of my page. Things have gotten progressively worse although I finnally managed to load up all important downloads from windows. I still can't load HP downloads, and most scans lock up before finishing or come up empty.
Sorry to be trouble here folks, Thanks for any suggestions

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

OK, I already had malware downloaded, and ran through th steps provided on th first post in nasties thread. Once again th malware scan locked up my puter when it hit th cyberlink camera files. Can't just open taskmgr and close not responding app, I mean REALLy locked up. I have to do a hard stop (hold onoff button down).
I did manage to get through a quick scan without lockup, it showed no viruses or malware.
A little more info, I have my acct (admin) puter guru (admin) and my sons acct. I have to log into sons acct to get to th web with any success, it just ends up locking up if I try any other acct. I still lock up occaisionally on sons acct but not often.
Th offending problems began a few weeks ago when I booted up one mornin and I had an AOL homepage instead of my page. Things have gotten progressively worse although I finnally managed to load up all important downloads from windows. I still can't load HP downloads, and most scans lock up before finishing or come up empty.
Sorry to be trouble here folks, Thanks for any suggestions

Boot into Safe Mode and then run SuperAnti Spyware and MalwareBytes. Also run Spybot Search and Destroy. Run one at a time, it will take a while.

It sounds like your web browser got hijacked and then some nasty malware got distributed. Do those basic scans and some one can else can help you further with what you need to do next.

Malwarebytes runs best in normal mode.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Post new HJT log.

Ok I followed th instructions to safe mode and booted into it. Ran SuperAnti Spyware, found 54 tracking cookies, removed em and began Malware. It runs till it locks up everything (program not responding) have to hard stop. Ran it again same thing. Should I run th third step without results from second?

Should I run th third step without results from second?

Which 3rd step?

Boot into Safe Mode and then run(1) SuperAnti Spyware and(2) MalwareBytes. Also run (3)Spybot Search and Destroy. Run one at a time, it will take a while.

To be honest, Spybot is not what it once was and in my opinion, is not worth running.
SuperAntiSpyware is good, but you cannot beat MBA-M today.
As I stated above, MBA-M is designed to run best in normal mode, not safe mode.

To be honest, Spybot is not what it once was and in my opinion, is not worth running.
SuperAntiSpyware is good, but you cannot beat MBA-M today.
As I stated above, MBA-M is designed to run best in normal mode, not safe mode.

The issue he is having though is the system locks up when it hits a certain area. From what I understood in his first post he tried in both normal start up and it locked up and the same thing in safe mode.

True about SpyBot I still run it though cause not every program catches everything. But the amount of time it takes to scan is ridiculous.

The issue he is having though is the system locks up when it hits a certain area. From what I understood in his first post he tried in both normal start up and it locked up and the same thing in safe mode.

Thank you StandardsDT,
I have an AOL virus we believe. may even be-( hpqins13.dat )
It might be hiding in my cybercam files since the scans lock up repeatedly. I lost my camera and file access within a day of th wackyness beginning.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.