Yesterday, on my work desktop, the WinPC
Defender stuff popped up. At that point, I could no longer connect to the internet. I am now on our laptop. I can't open the desktop unless in Safe Mode. Regular startup gives me an error about "Loading Personal Settings" and stays there. I have tried to run several virus remover software programs by downloading them via laptop and then to desktop, but they won't run because I don't have internet connection. I have XP. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Neither of these scans need internet access IF you can transfer them via the laptop to the infected computer. Both can easily be done OFFLINE.

Do the following using the laptop and transferring to infected computer:
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

In order to update the program you will also have to download to your laptop and transfer to the infected computer the manual update file which you can get HERE

Now MBA-M is made to be run in NORMAL mode if possible as it doesn't load all of it's drivers in safe mode. However it CAN be run in Safe Mode, it just will not be able to scan everything. But that may be all you need to then be able to boot to normal mode.
If you can run it in Safe Mode do so, following directions below. Once that scan is complete and you reboot, if it can boot to Normal mode then do the same Full System Scan again.

* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

Reboot the computer.

Next download and carry to the infected computer HiJackThis
You will need to run a Full System scan with it also. You will need to save the log.
I will need to see both logs. See if there is a way you can get the logs from the infected computer to the one you are using now and post those in your next post here.

Thank you! I am trying this now, although my flash drive isn't working in the infected computer. The light is going off and on slowly. I will get back with you. Thanks again.

Thank you! I am trying this now, although my flash drive isn't working in the infected computer. The light is going off and on slowly. I will get back with you. Thanks again.

Well, I got infected computer to recognize the drive. When I double click on the file I had downloaded, it does nothing! Any suggestions??

Well, I got infected computer to recognize the drive. When I double click on the file I had downloaded, it does nothing! Any suggestions??

See if you can Send it to the Infected computer.

See if you can Send it to the Infected computer.

I just did that and when I click on it, it has the hour glass for a few seconds and then stops and does nothing. I appreciate your help. I was able to get my Word documents off that computer and am sending it in for repair. Thanks again.

Sorry, probably the best idea.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.