My brother downloaded AlertSpy, which will scan for spyware but requires you to pay to delete them.

I have uninstalled it but I am still receiving messages that pop up on my desk top warning me of various security alerts (spyware, trojans, suspicious traffic etc). The messages direct me to one of alertspy's many websites where I'm once again prompted to pay.

For an inexperienced user these messages would be quite frightening and it's disgusting that the Alertspy should use these intimidatory tactics to get sales.

Anyway, please tell me how I can stop these messages from appearing.
Task Manager tells me that the file crss.exe (or something similar) is running but this is a system file and not a virus copy (although I've learned that some viruses can hijack this file and use it to send messages).

Please help,
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

1. Download and install Ad-Aware SE, keeping the default options. However, some of the settings will need to be changed before your first scan

2.Close ALL windows except Ad-Aware SE

3. Click on the‘world’ icon at the top right of the Ad-Aware SE window and let AdAware SE update the reference list for the adware and malware.

4. Once the update is finished click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left at the top of the window) to access the preferences/settings window

1) In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected in green:
*Automatically save log-file
*Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
*Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

Under Definitions:
*Prompt to udate outdated definitions - set the number of days

2) Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select in green :

Under Driver, Folders & Files:
*Scan Within Archives

Under Select drives & folders to scan -
*choose all hard drives

Under Memory & Registry: all green
*Scan Active Processes
*Scan Registry
*Deep Scan Registry
*Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
*Scan my Hosts file

3) Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select in green:

Under Shell Integration:
*Move deleted files to recycle bin

Under Logfile Detail Level: (all green)
*include addtional object information
*DESELECT - include negligible objects information
*include environment information

Under Alternate Data Streams:
*Don't log streams smaller than 0 bytes
*Don't log ADS with the following names: CA_INOCULATEIT

4) Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select in green:

Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
*Unload recognized processes during scanning
*Scan registry for all users instead of current user only

Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
*Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

Under the Log Files:
*Include basic Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Include additional Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Please do not check or make green: Include Module list in logfile

5. Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.

6. Click ‘Start’

*Choose:'Perform Full System Scan'
*DESELECT "Search for negligible risk entries", as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat.

7. Click ‘Next’ and Ad-Aware SE will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected and clean automatically.

8. If Ad-Aware SE finds bad entries, you will receive a list of what it found in the window

9. Save the log file when it asks and then click ‘finish’

10. REBOOT to complete the removal of what Ad-Aware SE found

Download & instal Spybot S&D 1.3 from here. Update it before scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. This program will prevent the install of bad activex controls that it has knowledge of. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it. Reboot

Download HijackThis selfextracting zip version from here. Once downloaded, double click on the file & it will install into it's own, permanent folder.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

thanks a lot, i'll try it when i get home

hijack log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 13:58:21, on 14/03/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msn.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.freeserve.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;<local>
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.02.3000.1002\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.freeserve.com/
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmessengersetupdownloader.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual CD v4 Security service (SDK - Version) (VCSSecS) - H+H Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe

All clear.

I really appreciate the help, Crunchie, but unfortunately the messages still persist.

Go here and download and run Silent Runners.vbs. It generates a log, please post the information back in this thread.

"Silent Runners.vbs", revision 32, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows XP
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"

Startup items buried in registry:
---------------------------------

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"Sonic RecordNow!" = (no data)
"MsnMsgr" = ""C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background" [MS]

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"msnappau" = ""C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"" [MS]
"TkBellExe" = ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot" ["RealNetworks, Inc."]
"QuickTime Task" = ""C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime" ["Apple Computer, Inc."]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\
{306D6C21-C1B6-4629-986C-E59E1875B8AF}\(Default) = (no title provided)
\StubPath   = ""C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msgsc.dll",ShowIconsUser" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\
{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}\(Default) = "AcroIEHlprObj Class" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll" ["Adobe Systems Incorporated"]
{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}\(Default) = (no title provided)
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll" ["Safer Networking Limited"]
{9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4}\(Default) = "ST" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.02.3000.1002\en-xu\stmain.dll" [MS]
{BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0}\(Default) = "MSNToolBandBHO" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\
"{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}" = "Display Panning CPL Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "deskpan.dll" [file not found]
"{88895560-9AA2-1069-930E-00AA0030EBC8}" = "HyperTerminal Icon Ext"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hticons.dll" ["Hilgraeve, Inc."]
"{F0CB00CD-5A07-4D91-97F5-A8C92CDA93E4}" = "Shell Extensions for RealOne Player"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpshellext.dll" ["RealNetworks"]
"{DEE12703-6333-4D4E-8F34-738C4DCC2E04}" = "RecordNow! SendToExt"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "c:\Apps\RecordNow\shlext.dll" [null data]
"{A5110426-177D-4e08-AB3F-785F10B4439C}" = "My Phones"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile\File Manager\fmgrgui.dll" ["Teleca Software Solutions AB"]
"{e57ce731-33e8-4c51-8354-bb4de9d215d1}" = "Universal Plug and Play Devices"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\upnpui.dll" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\
INFECTION WARNING! AtiExtEvent\DLLName = "Ati2evxx.dll" ["ATI Technologies Inc."]

Running Services (Display Name, Service Name, Path {Service DLL}):
------------------------------------------------------------------

Ati HotKey Poller, Ati HotKey Poller, "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe" ["ATI Technologies Inc."]
RIP Listener, Iprip, "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" {"C:\WINDOWS\System32\iprip.dll" [MS]}
Simple TCP/IP Services, SimpTcp, "C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe" [MS]
SmartLinkService, SLService, "slserv.exe" [" "]
Virtual CD v4 Security service (SDK - Version), VCSSecS, "C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe" ["H+H Software GmbH"]

Winsock2 Service Provider DLLs:
-------------------------------

Namespace Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
000000000001\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]
000000000002\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\winrnr.dll" [MS]
000000000003\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]

Transport Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
0000000000##\PackedCatalogItem (contains) DLL [Company Name], (at) ## range:
%SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll [MS], 01 - 03, 06 - 15
%SystemRoot%\system32\rsvpsp.dll [MS], 04 - 05

----------
This report excludes default entries except where indicated.
To see *everywhere* the script checks and *everything* it finds,
launch it from a command prompt or a shortcut with the -all parameter.
----------

Nothing bad there. Do you have messenger running at all?
Try running Adaware and spybot in safe mode.

What do you mean by messenger?

Well it turns out my firewall wasn't enabled, and since turning it on the messages have stopped.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

You're welcome :).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.