Hi,

I have Windows 98 installed and IE 6. The latest fixes are installed from Microsoft website. Last time I used the computer, several weeks ago, it was fine.

The computer wont load Ebay, will load Yahoo but not the title bar etc at the top of the page and wont then load any of the linked pages when you click the links.

It will not load www.microsoft.com but will load support.microsoft.com.

It seems that its just useful websites/ sites I visit frequently it doesn't like.

I assumed this was some sort of virus - have used Mcaffee free virus scan over the net - found one trojan and I deleted the file. I installed Avast and have run that, found another trojan and deleted the file.

I have scanned for adware and Spyware and removed the relevant items.

I have removed temp files and all temp internet files and cookies.

I then installed Firefox browser and that behaves in the same manner as IE 6.

When trying to load ebay, after a few seconds the message at the bottom left of the IE screen reads: //C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/navcancl.htm

I have also tried the control panel option to repair IE 6. I then restored back to an earlier version - same problem - and then downloaded the IE 6 update to restore to IE 6.

If you would need further details of the problem, please let me know.

If anyone knows how to cure this without a complete reformat and reinstallation, please could they let me know as I have been trying for several hours now,

A Hijack This report will be posted shortly (thanks 'caperjack' for the earlier help and suggestions in the IE forum).

Many thanks in advance,

Pete

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Here is the HIJACK THIS log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:33:22 PM, on 4/3/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CYBERMEDIA\CMAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\HP SOFTWARE UPDATE\HPWUSCHD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INVENTEL\GATEWAY\WLANCFG.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHMAISV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVPERSONAL\AVGCTRL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NIKON\NKVIEW6\NKVMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPQTRA08.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.co.uk/
O3 - Toolbar: Wanadoo - {8B68564D-53FD-4293-B80C-993A9F3988EE} - C:\PROGRA~1\WANADOO\WSBAR\WSBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CyberMedia Agent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\CYBERMEDIA\CMAGENT.EXE" /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wlancfg] C:\Program Files\Inventel\Gateway\wlancfg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast! Web Scanner] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ashMaiSv] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ashmaisv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] "C:\PROGRA~1\AVPERS~1\AVGCTRL.EXE" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [avast!] C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: NkvMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
O4 - Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search with Wanadoo - res://C:\PROGRA~1\WANADOO\WSBAR\WSBAR.DLL/VSearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {4E62C4DE-627D-4604-B157-4B7D6B09F02E} (AccountTracking Profile Manager Class) - https://moneymanager.egg.com/Pinsafe/accounttracking.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/vso/en-us/tools/mcfscan/2,0,0,4458/mcfscan.cab

A further update - the computer just rebooted itself while I was sat here posting the log and replies on the laptop!

Actually not much in the log to be worried about ,or would cause you problems that i can see ,

close all open windows and browsers,just hijackthis open .and scan and fix the folowing .

this one is optional but resource hog ,
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE

O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

Ok, thanks for that - I've done this now but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, thanks very much for the assistance though!

Pete

Ok, thanks for that - I've done this now but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, thanks very much for the assistance though!

Pete

Yeah ,i knew that those fixes werent goin to help but they needed to be fixed .not sure whats causing you problem!

open IE /tools and empty temp internet file if you haven't allready

I'd like to suggest another program for you to try, I've found it can find things most other programs can't.

It's called CounterSpy and you can get it from here:

http://www.download.com/3000-8022_4-10337358.html

It has a 15-day free trial which will be plenty of time to get your system cleaned up, or you can purchase it for $20 (US). After you download it, install it; when asked for a registration number, just click next.

Before scanning the first time, make the following adjustments to the settings:

CounterSpy Settings

At the very top, click on File, and then Check for updates
When it’s finished updating, click the ‘Close’ button

Under ‘Spyware Scan’ on the left, click on ‘Run a spyware scan’
In the left pane, click on ‘Scan Options’
Mark ‘Full system scan’
Check all boxes under ‘Full system scan,’ including ‘Save these options’
In the right pane, near the bottom, click ‘Manage Schedule’
On the left side, select your preferred schedule options
On the right side, under ‘Scheduled Scan Options,’ check:
‘Always run a deep scan’
‘Automatically remove spyware cookies’
Click the ‘Update Schedule’ button

At the top, click on ‘System Tools’
Double-click on ‘History Cleaner’
Check the following options (if they are not grayed-out):
‘Internet Explorer History’
‘Internet Explorer Cookies’
‘Kazaa’
‘Temporary Internet Files’
Review the list for any other ‘History’ items you wish to clean
At the bottom, click ‘Remember checked’
Click on the ‘Clean History’ button
Click the ‘Yes’ button, and then the ‘OK’ button

Click ‘Back’ at the top
Double-click ‘My PC Checkup’
Click the ‘Start’ button
In the first part of the list, uncheck everything up to any ActiveX entries; the entries you uncheck can be checked later, individually, to ensure they won’t interfere with your browsing habits (for maximum protection, however, you may leave them all checked)
Leave all ActiveX entries checked
In the second part of the list ‘(Items already changed below…),’ leave all entries checked
Click the ‘Continue’ button
Click the ‘OK’ button

At the top, click ‘Spyware Scan’
On the right side, click the ‘Scan Now’ button
This will take awhile depending on the size of your drive(s), number of files, CPU, etc. (40 minutes on my computer)
When the scan is complete, use the drop-down arrow next to each entry and select ‘Remove’ (if you see any entries that you think you may wish to keep, ‘Ignore’ them for now and post them for recommendations)
Select ‘Create restore point’ if you want CounterSpy to create a Windows XP System Restore point
At the bottom, click ‘Take Action’
Click the ‘Close’ button and exit the program

Delete the entire contents of these folders (not the folders themselves):

Local Settings\Temp
Cookies
History
Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Delete the entire contents of your C:\Windows\Temp folder.

Delete the entire contents of your C:\Temp folder (if you have one).

Do a search for *.tmp and delete all entries found.

(Note: if any of these temporary files cannot be deleted while in ‘normal mode,’ try Safe Mode.

Empty your Recycle Bin.

Now, reboot, close all browser windows, scan with HJT, and post a new log.

Thanks for your reply - I'll give it a go at the earliest opportunity - the PC is part way through a defrag at the moment,

Thanks,

Pete

I'd like to suggest another program for you to try, I've found it can find things most other programs can't.

It's called CounterSpy and you can get it from here:

http://www.download.com/3000-8022_4-10337358.html

sure looks a lot like microsofts antispyware program !

Edit: I just found out why ,it powered by Giant ,same as microsofts !!

2nd Edit ,my microsft antispyware ,stoppen working when i uninstall counterspy !!!

Hi again,

I've done all of the above which removed a few more spywares etc - all the temporary items are now gone. Pasted below is the latest HJT log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:25:45 PM, on 4/4/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CYBERMEDIA\CMAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\HP SOFTWARE UPDATE\HPWUSCHD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHMAISV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVPERSONAL\AVGCTRL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INVENTEL\GATEWAY\WLANCFG.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUNBELT SOFTWARE\COUNTERSPY CLIENT\SUNASDTSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NIKON\NKVIEW6\NKVMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPQTRA08.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/
O3 - Toolbar: Wanadoo - {8B68564D-53FD-4293-B80C-993A9F3988EE} - C:\PROGRA~1\WANADOO\WSBAR\WSBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CyberMedia Agent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\CYBERMEDIA\CMAGENT.EXE" /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast! Web Scanner] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ashMaiSv] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ashmaisv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] "C:\PROGRA~1\AVPERS~1\AVGCTRL.EXE" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wlancfg] C:\Program Files\Inventel\Gateway\wlancfg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SUNASDTSERV] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUNBELT SOFTWARE\COUNTERSPY CLIENT\SUNASDTSERV.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunasServ] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [avast!] C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: NkvMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
O4 - Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search with Wanadoo - res://C:\PROGRA~1\WANADOO\WSBAR\WSBAR.DLL/VSearch.htm
O16 - DPF: {4E62C4DE-627D-4604-B157-4B7D6B09F02E} (AccountTracking Profile Manager Class) - https://moneymanager.egg.com/Pinsafe/accounttracking.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/vso/en-us/tools/mcfscan/2,0,0,4458/mcfscan.cab

log looks clean to me !

sure looks a lot like microsofts antispyware program !

Edit: I just found out why ,it powered by Giant ,same as microsofts !!

2nd Edit ,my microsft antispyware ,stoppen working when i uninstall counterspy !!!

That's logical. If it's indeed the same engine they share DLLs.
Many programs have very messy uninstallers that don't check whether DLLs are used by others and just delete anything they may have installed themselves...

That's logical. If it's indeed the same engine they share DLLs.
Many programs have very messy uninstallers that don't check whether DLLs are used by others and just delete anything they may have installed themselves...

Yes Logical and a warning for those with microsoft antispyware loaded .don't load the other ,main difference is CounterSpy workes with 98 microfts doesent .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.