By the way FYI...the website you listed where you got your infected file is noted on W.O.T. as

Bad Host/ Website. Do not visit them.It may contain virus/ads....can be extremely dangerous if you click on the wrong link...engaged in the distribution of malware

By the way FYI...the website you listed where you got your infected file is noted on W.O.T. as

That may explain everything! Kinda weird though since I've been using their "MSN patch" for at least 2 or 3 differents MSN versions and it was always working just fine!

That website is officially deleted from my bookmarks! And, so far, everything is still running smoothly.

You know you may be able to do what you want to do with a simple registry edit I found on THIS Microsoft Windows Live page.
I checked out at least multiple web sites listing that patch that you wanted to install and all of them had listings in WOT and several other places that this patch itself contained malware. I would frankly be very leery of using this from anywhere.

Go with the Microsoft Registry Edit.

You know you may be able to do what you want to do with a simple registry edit I found on THIS Microsoft Windows Live page.
I checked out at least multiple web sites listing that patch that you wanted to install and all of them had listings in WOT and several other places that this patch itself contained malware. I would frankly be very leery of using this from anywhere.

Go with the Microsoft Registry Edit.

Wow!! That works just fine!! Thanks alot!

So glad it worked. See, this shows you, use proven CLEAN programs. Visit only clean, proven web sites.

commented: One of the best 1-line posts you're likely to find in a good while +36

So glad it worked. See, this shows you, use proven CLEAN programs. Visit only clean, proven web sites.

You have a point there!

Here is something I really recommend as an add-on to your browser
Web-Of-Trust or W.O.T.
This is what I used to begin my search on that program you downloaded. The website itself, right now, shows as ok with WOT but if you click on the WOT button added to the browser and then on their Rating Scorecard for that site is where I got the additional comments on the software they offer for download...not good. So for now the website itself is "ok", have a feeling that will change, but because some of those programs they offer send you to not so good links in order to get them, well that made me suspicious and I began checking out other sites offering the same program...none of the comments were good, as you saw. Will WOT protect you completely? No, there isn't anything that will do that but it sure will give you a "heads up" on whether to trust or not.

Here are examples of two websites:
The one you listed, which I will not list the address of here has this Rating Scorecard, at the moment it ranks like this:
Trustworthiness
Ads & Cookies, Bad host website, spam ads, spyware, distributes malware
Reliability
Same comments as above
Privacy
Same comments as above
Child Safety
Lower rating because of all the above.

Now here is Rating Scorecard for CNet download site generally considered a very safe site.
Without exception every rating read this way:
Absolutely great site, all downloads pre-scanned for malware, only 1% chance you can download something bad, excellent, highly recommended.

Try WOT.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.