Hi! I just read through a thread by crunchie from 2007 regarding a redirect problem with Internet Explorer. I was so impressed by the response (very user friendly) that I am posting my "problem" on this forum after Analyze This suggested I contact professionals for assistance. Please help!

To introduce the problem quickly...

I am trying to "fix" my boss' computer. He is the president of a small startup company where I am a VP of just about everything - including IT - even though I have no formal training... though I can follow directions well. A week ago the computer began giving error messages regarding Internet Explorer conflicting with the Data Execution Prevention feature (DEP) of Windows. It would shut down the browser each time he sent an error message and then a second screen would pop-up saying that the program was attempting to write to an unacceptable part of the memory (a different reference point each time). I was not in the office to see the error until yesterday. He was just moving the pop-ups off screen to work around them. In the interim I downloaded Firefox for him to get online. It also generated the same pop-ups. I just needed to stop the pop-ups for a presentation and had no choice but to completely disable the DEP feature by modifying the boot.ini file (noexecute=AlwaysOff). While the pop-ups stopped and IE could be accessed, now the IE browser is redirecting me to just about any site it wants to (with a brief flash of the correct site before opening others at its own whim). Also, the browser is very slow to open and stalls while opening AOL (which he cannot live without - his words not mine). I have attempted to uninstall/reinstall both IE 8 and 7 (after uninstalling 7 using the Start>Run %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe command). No luck! Firefox seems untouched by the redirecting and stalling issue but the president is not great at trying new browsers/programs so I have been asked to fix it. I was considering attempting some of crunchie's previous suggestions but he specifically says that part of his "fix" is specific to that user and his log.

Here is my hijackthis.log - I have never run this program before but crunchie seemed to be able to make a few determinations regarding how to proceed from the log elove posted way back when. I hope this is equally informative... and THANKS!!! I realize that you spend a lot of time looking through these logs and I would really appreciate any help you can provide. And I promise not to post such long-winded posts in the future!!!

Thanks,
Beth

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:15:09 PM, on 8/26/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\iS3\Anti-Spyware\SZServer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\STacSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\STOPzilla.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe
C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\RICHAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Google Toolbar\gtb7D.tmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=5071216
O2 - BHO: SITEguard BHO - {1827766B-9F49-4854-8034-F6EE26FCB1EC} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZSG.dll
O2 - BHO: STOPzilla Browser Helper Object - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZIEBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: STOPzilla - {98828DED-A591-462F-83BA-D2F62A68B8B8} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZSG.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVHotkey] rundll32.exe nvHotkey.dll,Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] C:\Dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPLJ Config] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hp LaserJet 1150_1300\SetConfig.exe -c Direct -p COM1: -pn "hp LaserJet 1300 PCL 6" -n 0 -l 1033 -sl 120000
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MFPMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\DELL\MFP1125\Monitor\Stsmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Ghost 12.0] "C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SNM] C:\Program Files\SpyNoMore\SNM.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotSync] "C:\Program Files\PalmSource\Desktop\HotSync.exe" -AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmctxth] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellAutomatedPCTuneUp] "C:\Program Files\DellAutomatedPCTuneUp\PTAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FolderShare] "C:\Program Files\FolderShare\FolderShare.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Pho] "C:\Documents and Settings\Richard McPhillips\My Documents\?asks\n?tepad.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [GetModule27] C:\Program Files\GetModule\GetModule27.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\common files\is3\anti-spyware\is3lsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\common files\is3\anti-spyware\is3lsp.dll
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} -
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Winlogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winmm64.dll
O21 - SSODL: WinCheck - {EAD8F454-EC03-4B47-A5B7-6534DA513FA5} - winmm64.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Pure Networks Platform Service (nmservice) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: STOPzilla Service (szserver) - iS3, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\iS3\Anti-Spyware\SZServer.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 11416 bytes

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Your computer is quite badly infected. Yet another example of how useless Norton is.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

Once done, post a fresh HJT log too.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Here is the log from Malwarebytes' (post full scan)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2702
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

8/26/2009 9:27:17 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-26 (21-27-17).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 173419
Time elapsed: 47 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 16
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 5
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm64.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bho_myjavacore.mjcore.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\testcpv6.bho (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\testcpv6.bho.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{17e44256-51e0-4d46-a0c8-44e80ab4ba5b} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{2e4a04a1-a24d-45ae-aca4-949778400813} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{80ef304a-b1c4-425c-8535-95ab6f1eefb8} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{ff46f4ab-a85f-487e-b399-3f191ac0fe23} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ead8f454-ec03-4b47-a5b7-6534da513fa5} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6b221e01-f517-4959-8c41-81948e7f2f17} (Adware.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{7d5dd829-6c90-42c5-b54c-2afa82f988ba} (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{0cb66ba8-5e1f-4963-93d1-e1d6b78fe9a2} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{15421b84-3488-49a7-ad18-cbf84a3efaf6} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{d88e1558-7c2d-407a-953a-c044f5607cea} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\testCPV6.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Illysoft (Rogue.SpyNoMore) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Illysoft (Rogue.SpyNoMore) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\wincheck (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load\scui.cpl (Hijack.SecurityCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load\wscui.cpl (Hijack.SecurityCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\gadcom (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\GetModule (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm64.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\GetModule\dicik.gz (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\GetModule\kwdik.gz (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\GetModule\ofadik.gz (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Here is the HJT Log:

Scan saved at 9:36:11 PM, on 8/26/2009

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\iS3\Anti-Spyware\SZServer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\STOPzilla.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
\?\C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM\WMIADAP.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=5071216
O2 - BHO: SITEguard BHO - {1827766B-9F49-4854-8034-F6EE26FCB1EC} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZSG.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_B7C5AC242193BB3E.dll
O2 - BHO: STOPzilla Browser Helper Object - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZIEBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: STOPzilla - {98828DED-A591-462F-83BA-D2F62A68B8B8} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZSG.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPLJ Config] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hp LaserJet 1150_1300\SetConfig.exe -c Direct -p COM1: -pn "hp LaserJet 1300 PCL 6" -n 0 -l 1033 -sl 120000
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MFPMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\DELL\MFP1125\Monitor\Stsmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Ghost 12.0] "C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotSync] "C:\Program Files\PalmSource\Desktop\HotSync.exe" -AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmctxth] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellAutomatedPCTuneUp] "C:\Program Files\DellAutomatedPCTuneUp\PTAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FolderShare] "C:\Program Files\FolderShare\FolderShare.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Pho] "C:\Documents and Settings\Richard McPhillips\My Documents\?asks\n?tepad.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [GetModule27] C:\Program Files\GetModule\GetModule27.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Pure Networks Platform Service (nmservice) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: STOPzilla Service (szserver) - iS3, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\iS3\Anti-Spyware\SZServer.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 11511 bytes

Turn on "show hidden files and folders". INSTRUCTIONS

Locate and delete the following. Only delete the things that are in bold.

C:\Program Files\GetModule\GetModule27.exe
c:\program files\common files\is3\anti-spyware\is3lsp.dll

once done, open HJT and place a tick next to each entry (if there).

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\common files\is3\anti-spyware\is3lsp.dll (there are 4 of these, tick them all)

Then close all browsers and click the "fix checked" button.

Now reboot your PC and post a fresh HJT log.

I cannot find C:\Program Files\GetModule\GetModule27.exe
and the other file gives me the following message when I attempt to delete it...

Cannot delete iS3lsp: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Suggestions?

I just found the GetModule folder located at:

C:\QooBox\Quarantine\C\Program Files\GetModule

There is no executable file to delete. In fact, there are no files in the folder.

(and I still am unable to delete the iS3 file).

Thanks!

C:\QooBox\Quarantine\C\Program Files\GetModule is a directory created by combofix. It is a quarantined directory. When did you run combofix? And can you post it's log?

See if you can uninstall GetModule in add / remove programs.

I don't have combofix on that computer. It does have Symantec which also quarantines files to the QooBox folder. It also has StopZilla which includes the the iS3 file you wanted me to delete (I think). I cannot remove the GetModule because it isn't listed as an option for currently installed programs. Sorry!

I just searched for "ComboFix" and two files came up - both from 9/1/08. They are ComboFix.txt and ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt. This second file is in folder C:\QooBox. Does that help?

If ComboFix is on here in any form it is because the computer's primary user (the president of my company) installed it unintentionally.

I just sat down with our president and reviewed the computer situation with him. Apparently, several months ago, he had an IT friend work on the computer after he clicked on a balloon purporting to be from Microsoft. It appeared to be a security update. After he clicked on the message he began receiving an unending bombardment of popups. His IT friend downloaded a series of programs on his computer (from his personal thumb drive) and attempted to fix the problem. He was unable to so he deleted the programs and downloaded StopZilla as a temporary fix (which actually appears to have solved the popup problem in that case). It is likely that this is when ComboFix was added to the computer but there is no executable file to select to run and provide a log.

Ok, it may be worth running combofix on the machine as combofix is often updated. You can get it HERE. Post it's resulting log.

Yikes! I ran the program and a blank screen popped up. Then another window popped up saying that a parasite was trying to attach to ComboFix and that it was being moved but that I should write down the file name (C:\WINDOWS\system 32\msbaokcytuw.dll) because "We may need it later." The message actually said that. Now a window pops up saying "This application has failed to start because msbaokcytuw.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I am trying to reinstall but the Unable to Locate Component box is blocking me from doing anything (FYI - the box header reads NirCmdC.cfxxe - Unable To Locate Component). Help!

Gets worse. The computer is totally locked up with "Unable to Locate Component" popups for the following:

pev.exe
hidec.exe
n.pif
nircmd.cfxxe
GSAR.cfxxe
rundll32.exe
SWREG.exe
swreg.exe
pv.com
SWXCACLS.cfxxe

It's looking like the machine may need to be formatted and reinstalled from scratch. The malware is obviously fighting back.

The computer was okay (to a certain extent) until I downloaded ComboFix. Now it is possessed. How do I get it off of the computer to stop the "Unable to Locate Component" boxes from popping up???

If I may Rik, the poster IS correct, these Winsock entries are related to Stopzilla.
Their "home company name is iS3

I think the poster should Uninstall Stopzilla.
This is a program with a "so-so" reputation. This other files you are looking for;
C:\Program Files\GetModule\GetModule27.exe
Does not show as running, at least during the latest HJT scan. The key files with this were removed by MBA-M.

Uninstall all that Stopzilla stuff, it's running all the time and is basically worthless, plus may be causing these difficulties.

If poster must, he can boot to Safe Mode and do all this removal along with those old combofix files he found.

Are all those pop-up warnings from Stopzilla? If so they very well could be false positives. Also Stopzilla may be causing the problem with combofix.
Uninstall it and be advised, it can be VERY Difficult to uninstall.

I will absolutely uninstall Stopzilla if that is what you think is the best solution - no problem - except that I cannot get by the "Unable to Locate Component" pop-ups indicating that msbaokcytuw.dll was not found. I just did a search for this .dll file and it is coming up in C:\WINDOWS\system32 as msbaokcytuw.dll.vir

How do I uninstall ComboFix and reinstall this now-missing .dll file???? so that I can uninstall Stopzilla and move forward with this problem solving venture?

Boot to Safe Mode to do all this. This should bypass the Stopzilla stuff. Then do the uninstalls from there. IF there really is a missing .dll file it likely was removed by MBA-M since this didn't happen until that program was run.
Boot to Safe Mode by shutting down, reboot and immediately begin tapping the F8 key. You should get a "choice screen" choose Safe Mode. Your desk top will look much different because video files are not loaded. Once the computer is fully booted into Safe Mode then begin by going to Add/Remove and uninstall everything Stopzilla. Then do a file search for Stopzilla by going to Start, Search, Files and Folders and be sure to also use the advanced options of searching in system files, hidden files and sub folders.
While you are there also do a search for GetModule and see if anything turns up, if it does, delete it. You might also look for Combofix and see if any files are found if you find them, delete them.
Once you have removed all that stuff then reboot to normal mode and see what happens. Obviously this stems from way back when the first infection was removed by somebody else, but the job wasn't completed, thus making it hard for you now.

I am in Safe Mode and trying to add/remove Stopzilla but it won't let me uninstall ANYTHING (let alone Stopzilla) saying...

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Told you Stopzilla was a pain in the backside to remove. Let me check something and I will get back ASAP.

Okay, so I was able to delete Stopzilla in standard mode (uninstall and delete remaining files). It appears that I was also able to delete the combofix files and I am not getting the annoying pop-ups about missing .dll's. I am attaching the new HJT log that I just ran because I didn't know what else to do and I thought it might show you something useful.... AND THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR CONTINUING TO HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Scan saved at 4:19:32 PM, on 8/27/2009

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DoScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_B7C5AC242193BB3E.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

--
End of file - 10616 bytes

It really shouldn't need that Windows Installer to get rid of Stopzilla.

When I said boot to Safe Mode, I meant Safe Mode period, not Safe Mode with networking by the way is that what you are using? You need to be in "straight" safe mode.

Yeah... I was just in straight safe mode. Still wouldn't do it... so I went back to standard and uninstalled it from the start menu and confirmed it was gone from add/remove programs. Then I searched for all stopzilla and is3 files. Deleted them, rebooted, and found nothing left.

If you cannot uninstall it at all try the free Revo Uninstaller and see if you can remove it with that.

Here is a page which gives instructions on using the Revo Uninstaller

Okay... just saw your last post. Since I have done the whole manual search and delete thing, would it still be a good idea to install and use the Revo Uninstaller. It looks like a pretty impressive uninstall software package and I want to be sure I get this as "right" as possible since it has obviously not been "fixed" correctly for quite some time. Also, since I have removed stopzilla, can you recommend a free anti-virus software? In the post that first brought me to your site, crunchie mentions a series of downloads and "checkers" that I have not heard of so I have never ventured to tempt fate by messing with them unassisted. Crunchie does provide instructions for running the AVG antispyware tool (pages 2 and 3 - see http://www.daniweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101096&highlight=internet+explorer+redirect+virus. I would like to know what you suggest. Also, M-BAM is running and has found no infected objects (yet!) which is great given that it found 16 in the first 8 seconds last night.

Yes, go ahead and use the Revo program just to be sure. Now as far as anti-virus programs, the computer all ready has an anti-virus program on it Norton/Symantec shows in the logs, is it not a current and up to date version?
Stopzilla was not an anti-virus program anyway, it claims it is an anti-spy and anti-hijack program and we can see how well that worked!
Well that post must be quite old as AVG anti-spy is no longer available as a stand alone program. It was incorporated into AVG 8 last year. Frankly, AVG isn't an anti-virus program I recommend.
The two I usually recommend are either Avast or Avira. Both are excellent. Both are available in Free versions also. So really the choice would be yours. I run Avira but I know many who run Avast and are very pleased. Either one would be a superior choice. Both offer scan scheduling and automatic updating. Avira does have an irritating, to some not to me, but to some...an irritating pop-up when it updates wanting you to purchase the paid version. All you do is "X" out of it. Avira doesn't scan email but of course would catch any virus which may be contained within the email and definitely will stop them Avast does scan each mail as it comes in. As I said, I use Avira and have for well over a year and am extremely satisfied. But the choice would be yours.
Check that Norton program however, it IS on there, it IS running. If it is ready to expire then of course it would be cheaper to uninstall and install a new free program if that is the way you want to go. If it isn't ready to expire then I think I would leave it.

Have you gotten the pop-up warnings anymore? How about the "missing file" alert?
MBA-M is THE program today for removal. Did you update before doing additional scans? That is the "cardinal rule" update before each and every scan as it has daily updates for sure and sometimes more than one update daily. It is really top of the line right now. Remember though it isn't a substitute for an anti-virus program it is an additional, must have scanner, removal program.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.