I may be doing something wrong, it says error, cannot access the registry

Bloody hell - it's probably a Vista thing . . .LOL.

-- Did you try RightClicking and running as Administrator?

Also, do the drill down with registry editor and check if MSFS key exists now.
I've had users get error messages and yet still have the keys created.

If that doesn't work, we'll try another way.

PP :)

nope, still not there, admin doesn't come up on right click but I tried it again anyway

nope, still not there, admin doesn't come up on right click but I tried it again anyway

OK - let me double-check some things & I'll get back to you.

Sorry for the delay - I guess I'm "in demand" these days LOL!

Let's try this:
Open a command prompt (start>run>type cmd)
At the prompt, copy&paste the following and hit ENTER each time:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS" /v "Installed" /d "1" /f

then

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS" /ve /f

You should get a confirmation/success message each time. Then, drill down and verify MSFS key.

Let me know if that works.

first one says: ERROR: Access is denied, 2nd did nothing

first one says: ERROR: Access is denied, 2nd did nothing

OK - Let's try this:

Open Registry Editor and RightClick on HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and select Permissions
Select Everyone and check the box to Allow Full Control and click APPLY
Click OK

Then try the command prompt reg add step again and let me know.

I'll be back in 30 min or so.

ACCESS Denied, it hates me :(

got to go to bed, sorry, hate to bail but I've got my grandson at 7:00 am and he is 2yrs old and happens to be visually impaired so I need my rest :) He's a handful. I'll check in tomorrow, thank you.

At first i never thought vista could be so vulnerable to viruses unlike xp. I was shocked when i noticed my laptop is starting to act weird. I used to use ComboFix before,when i don't know what virus is residing in my computer. Try to use Malwarebytes,ComboFix and Removeit pro, that usually solves my problem when I'm not really sure what virus is in my computer

At first i never thought vista could be so vulnerable to viruses unlike xp. I was shocked when i noticed my laptop is starting to act weird. I used to use ComboFix before,when i don't know what virus is residing in my computer. Try to use Malwarebytes,ComboFix and Removeit pro, that usually solves my problem when I'm not really sure what virus is in my computer

This situation is a bit different :)

got to go to bed, sorry, hate to bail but I've got my grandson at 7:00 am and he is 2yrs old and happens to be visually impaired so I need my rest :) He's a handful. I'll check in tomorrow, thank you.

No problem! We've all got "real lives" and they take precedence.....

This freaking Vista is really annoying.

-- Try running Regedit with an "elevated command prompt" and then try the permissions change from a few posts ago (post #126).

To get the elevated prompt, Click Start > All Programs > Accessories, RightClick Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.

There are a couple other options to try as well. I'll post them Tuesday if the above fails to work.

PP:)

still says Access Denied... Vista is like a plague, one small thing rapidly infecting the whole system... (it's an exaggeration, I know but, can you tell I really don't like Vista? Though I do think it is a Vista/Adobe thing, there were a lot of other people with the same error, just no cure for it that I could find for Vista anyway.

still says Access Denied... Vista is like a plague, one small thing rapidly infecting the whole system...

I do not know how much of an exaggeration that is.....
It's that bloody UAC - Now, you did say you disabled this, but I want to double-check that.
Also, there are a couple programs we can try as well.

I ought to be available to wade back into the fray this evening :)

PP

I checked the UAC again earlier, it still says it is off. I'll check back tomorrow.

ok, had a weird issue this morning, the touch pad wasn't responding properly, the screen went crazy, it wouldn't shut down so I had to unplug it. Rebooted in safe mode and did a system restore to 11/16/09 system checkpoint. The cursor is now acting up again and the anti virus program was disabled. I got it back on and updated but I am not sure what happened. It's the never ending computer issue... :( Maybe I need a Mac

It's the never ending computer issue... :( Maybe I need a Mac

LOL! . . . Macs have problems too :)

I've been unexpectedly busy this week (not that I'm complaining given the economy) so please bear with me.

-- For the registry issue, please download and install subinacl.exe

We'll have another crack at the registry. My fear, though, is that we'll finally be able to add the desired key and then Adobe will still have an issue with it..... But, I'd still like to give it a try.

-- For the other issues, we'll need another combofix log. Hold off on that for now until I can go back over some things.

-- And, just to complicate things a bit more . . . . Are you able to create a New Administrator account on the ill computer? Let me know.

For the registry issue, please download and install subinacl.exe

Downloaded and installed the program,

Are you able to create a New Administrator account on the ill computer? Let me know.

not sure about the admin account, how do I create a new admin account? Seems as though I may have done this before but cant' remember how or when or why

Downloaded and installed the program

Great! We'll get to that later.
I'd like to try the below first.

not sure about the admin account, how do I create a new admin account? Seems as though I may have done this before but cant' remember how or when or why

Try steps 1 2 7 8 & 9 in the linky below. Be sure to save the new password, etc....

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67567-administrator-account.html

I have to get back to work - If I can't check in later, will be back Thursday.
Let me know if you have an problems with new account creation.

Great! We'll get to that later.
I'd like to try the below first.

Try steps 1 2 7 8 & 9 in the linky below. Be sure to save the new password, etc....

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67567-administrator-account.html

I have to get back to work - If I can't check in later, will be back Thursday.
Let me know if you have an problems with new account creation.

ok, have done this, no problems

ok, have done this, no problems

Great!

First, use the new account and see if you are able to install Adobe.

It probably won't be that easy . . . . LOL!

If that fails, try using the new account and open an elevated command prompt (as you did when creating new account) and then try the steps in posts 124 and 126.

Let me know how you fare. Back on Thursday.

If that fails, try using the new account and open an elevated command prompt (as you did when creating new account) and then try the steps in posts 124 and 126.

ok, tried it all again in the new account, still getting access denied :(
I'm so frustrated, I know you must be too. I'll try to spend some time searching for adobe solutions again tomorrow. Just in case I missed something somehow.

ok, someone said they did this and it worked http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400769.html

If I try this will it affect my other adobe programs? I don't want to cause myself more issues. I even tried going through and one by one turning on all the individual permissions in all the adobe registry folders and the windows folder, still came up with the same error. I can find lots of people with the issue, just no good solutions.

so I found and did this http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331303.html and now I can open acrobat pro again but can't update till I get the disk from the office because with no plug ins the updater no longer works, nor the repair... progress? maybe

so I found and did this http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331303.html and now I can open acrobat pro again but can't update till I get the disk from the office because with no plug ins the updater no longer works, nor the repair... progress? maybe

I am not sure how everything "fits together" with Adobe suite, so I really can't offer much there. My typical solution is to remove it all and try again - but we can't do that here.

-- I'd like to try the registry again with the tool you downloaded.
I am going to put together a little command for it. What is the exact username you log onto the compy with?

my everyday log in account is: Auberey
the admin account is just: Administrator

don't know what it means but something downloaded Microsoft Office pro yesterday which corrupted my office home suite so I had to remove it and reinstall it, no idea how this happened, it was some file with the name Bootstrap... something IDK, I think the machine has a mind of it's own.

If, after I update, fix or whatever needs to be done to Acrobat pro, it works properly, I will not need Acrobat reader anymore, could possibly be one of the issues according to the tech note I read today because of duplicate plugins or something. I had reader first and did not uninstall it when I installed the newer Adobe Suite. It may have nothing to do with any of it though. Thank you for your patience. :) I really do appreciate it.

don't know what it means but something downloaded Microsoft Office pro yesterday which corrupted my office home suite so I had to remove it and reinstall it, no idea how this happened, it was some file with the name Bootstrap... something IDK, I think the machine has a mind of it's own.

That's odd.
The "bootstrapper" kind of controls the update/install/setup, if I am not mistaken.
Not sure why it would run out of the blue unless it was set to auto-update....

If, after I update, fix or whatever needs to be done to Acrobat pro, it works properly, I will not need Acrobat reader anymore, could possibly be one of the issues according to the tech note I read today because of duplicate plugins or something. I had reader first and did not uninstall it when I installed the newer Adobe Suite. It may have nothing to do with any of it though.

We can try uninstalling Reader - let's wait for now. I'd like to try that reg key again.

Thank you for your patience. :) I really do appreciate it.

Happy to help.
I enjoy a challenge as much as the next person :)

Let me put together that program for the registry. I'll try to post it tonight.

Let me put together that program for the registry. I'll try to post it tonight.

OK - Let's give this a whack at it:

-- Download the attached FixPerms.zip to your Desktop and Extract FixPerms.cmd from the ZIP to the folder where subinacl.exe was installed ---> C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

Then, open an Elevated Command Prompt
At the prompt, type: cd "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" ENTER
-- Note cd <space> "%programfiles%. . . . ..

Then, type: FixPerms.cmd ENTER

Let it run for as long as it takes - might be a while as subinacl.exe "walks" the registry.
When it finishes, press any key and a log ought to pop up. Please post that for me.

Let me know if you run into any trouble.

Best Luck :)
PP

it says FixPerms.cmd is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

it says FixPerms.cmd is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

OK - Either it wasn't extracted from the zip or it wasn't located properly.

Try extracting it to the desktop and then Copy and paste FixPerms.cmd into the C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Resource Kits\Tools folder.

Open the elevated command prompt and type or copy&paste:

C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\FixPerms.cmd
and hit Enter

That ought to do it.

If not, I'll rewrite the .cmd file when I get home.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
#### PERMISSIONS AFTER FIX ####

it was in the correct file, and only took a minute to run?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.