Yeh I had webtrust installed b4 I deleted my bloody profile. It's not always accurate I just want you to know.

I have absolutely no idea what program you are talking about but the add-on I am talking about ISN'T something called webtrust (I have never heard of that) it is Web Of Trust W.O.T. there is NO profile required for Web Of Trust, there is no registration, nothing, it is simply a browser add on that warns you before you interact with a risky website, period. It doesn't stop you from going there, it just tells you if the site is risky, you can read the reasons why on the scorecard for the website and make your own decision to go there or not.

Click Tale got on there & they have a great program. I told them about it & they were shocked.

If you mean this web site http://www.clicktale.com/, why would they be shocked or concerned, their web site gets a favorable rating.

I saw that Xobni & didn't know what that was either although it looks interesting, but I don't use Outlook anymore, so why would I install it?

I don't know Why you would install it, I frankly don't care, but it can't install itself. I don't care who installed something, you asked the question and I am giving you the answer according to your logs. I didn't say this Xobini program was a bad program I am just telling you what WAS/IS installed on the machine.
Do a search for OpenCandy. Start, Search, Files and Folders and be sure to click Advanced and
Search system folders, Search hidden folders, Search subfolders. When the search is complete then delete all that is found.
By the way, in case you didn't know exactly what this Open Candy program does; it monitors your web searches and pops a window on your screen (even though I have block popups selected) asking if you would like to download a program that is selected for you.

I got the name wrong is all. It was the same add-on for Fx.

And I DIDN'T install Xobni. I told you that already.

As for clicktale, yes, I told them about Fx finding their site & they worked really hard to get the warning removed.

You sound like you are in a very bad mood. Please don't take it out on me. I'm not stupid.

MBW didn't find anything.

The search found Open Candy in document settings/user name/application. Should I just delete it from there?

If you mean this web site http://www.clicktale.com/ why would they be shocked or concerned, their web site gets a favorable rating.

Almost forgot this :)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:31:58 AM, on 11/22/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ATKKBService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\carboniteservice.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\PanelMgr\SSMMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\CarboniteUI.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Shelltoys\Personal Assistant\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.4\J2GDllCmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
C:\Garmin\gStart.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Michelle\Application Data\CBS Interactive\CNET TechTracker\TechTracker.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ask.com/?o=101677&l=dis
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: FlashFXP Helper for Internet Explorer - {E5A1691B-D188-4419-AD02-90002030B8EE} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashFXP\IEFlash.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pdfFactory Dispatcher v3] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\fppdis3a.exe" /source=HKLM
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nTrayFw] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Samsung PanelMgr] C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\PanelMgr\SSMMgr.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Carbonite Backup] C:\Program Files\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\CarboniteUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ASUS SmartDoctor] C:\Program Files\ASUS\SmartDoctor\\SmartDoctor.exe /start
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Personal Assistant] C:\Program Files\Shelltoys\Personal Assistant\assistant.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eFax 4.4] "C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.4\J2GDllCmd.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [gStart] C:\Garmin\gStart.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Michelle\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - Startup: CNET TechTracker.lnk = C:\Documents and Settings\Michelle\Application Data\CBS Interactive\CNET TechTracker\TechTracker.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quick View Plus.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: ICQ6 - {E59EB121-F339-4851-A3BA-FE49C35617C2} - C:\Program Files\ICQ6\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ6 - {E59EB121-F339-4851-A3BA-FE49C35617C2} - C:\Program Files\ICQ6\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_13) -
O16 - DPF: {FFB3A759-98B1-446F-BDA9-909C6EB18CC7} (PCPitstop Exam) - http://utilities.pcpitstop.com/Optimize2/pcpitstop2.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\570\G2AWinLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: ATK Keyboard Service (ATKKeyboardService) - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - C:\WINDOWS\ATKKBService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: CarboniteService - Carbonite, Inc. (www.carbonite.com) - C:\Program Files\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\carboniteservice.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe
O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Apache Software Foundation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\570\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare user log service (nSvcLog) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

--
End of file - 10866 bytes

Sorry if I sounded like I was in a bad mood, I apologize, I really am sorry and I certainly never meant to imply that you are stupid, because I certainly do not believe that you are. I guess I get frustrated when I read a log and then people doubt what I say. I sincerely hope you will accept my apology.

Now I have done some searching on the entries I noted from the combofix log. CNET Network and CBS Interactive are pretty much one and the same company as CNET Network was acquired by CBS Interactive in 2008. So this is why both of those entries show in the combofix log AND also in your latest HJT logs;
C:\Documents and Settings\Michelle\Application Data\CBS Interactive\CNET TechTracker\TechTracker.exe
Now, that takes care of two of the items noted. Doesn't explain that OpenCandy, but since is gets awful ratings it may very well have come in with something else and I am still leaning towards that CNET TechTracker since it is listed with the other three items at the same time. Note also one of those Xobini listings also seems to be listed in that OpenCandy folder. If you can find that OpenCandy again yes delete it.
I also went back through many of your previous threads here containing HJT logs over the last several months and have noted that Xobni shows in NONE of the HJT logs until you installed that CNET TechTracker on November 17th. So this leads me to believe that somehow it had to come in with that.
Now take a look at the comments for that TechTracker program on it's CNET download page now granted these are user reviews but who else to listen to than the users themselves. It gets a 2 1/2 star review out of a possible 5 stars, so it gets an average review.
But look at some of the "Con" comments:

Doesn't work, Filehippo's app blows this away.
I have "uninstalled" tech tracker via the new uninstall option and guess what, it's still on my computer. It's telling me to update software I don't have (for a price) and directing me to websites to give my money. Do not download this unless you like a problematic software app. I should have used my better judgement and listened to others reviews. Shame on Cnet for a "commercial" for pay for software. This really could have been a nice app.
...it keeps on tnterupting any thing i am trying to do
...I have tried this product 3 times now and it still keeps telling me some products are out of date when they obviously are not.
...Too many errors -
non-reporting of installed programs (less than 50% in my case), too many false-positives (i'm up-to-date, but CNET says I'm not). Software needs customisation option so you can say "thanks, but I DONT WANT to update this software.

Yes, there ARE some good reviews there but with the 2 1/2 star rating this says there are more "con" than "pro".
My recommendation, uninstall this if you can, several reviews note it is very difficult to uninstall.
Now I spent much of this morning going back through this whole thread, and as I said, many of your older threads, noting all you have said about various problems, reading all the logs again, the slowness of the computer loading programs, pages, etc.
I noted earlier about your graphics drivers and you said you had problems with this from the time of a reformat. Now I was mistaken in my post #2 when I said you had software for two graphics cards running, you actually have software for THREE!
ATI
ASUS
NVIDIA
You absolutely need to find out what graphics card is on your machine and uninstall the incorrect driver and install the correct one from the graphics card manufacturers website.
Right click on MY COMPUTER
Select PROPERTIES
Select the HARDWARE tab
Click DEVICE MANAGER
Expand DISPLAY ADAPTER by clicking on it
Listed here you will see the brand and model of Video Card that you are using. If you don't understand what you see then post it here and I will try to help.
Since much of this began, you say, recently and the graphic card issue began after a reformat I need to know, did your computer come with reinstall disks? If so, is there one with Drivers on it?
What brand of computer is it?
Michelle, we ARE going to get this worked out. Things like this drive me absolutely crazy and this isn't even my machine! I don't know how you have stood it for these many months!
Judy

commented: I really appreciate your replies [and your patience] :) +5

Hi there,

Oh geeze, I never got an e-mail notifying me that you responded. Hmm.

Thank you so much Judy, I really appreciate all your help & I have to clarify that I wasn't doubting you, I was just telling you I had no idea how it got there & thought maybe you could enlighten me on that.

It actually scared me, b/c I've been wondering if someone has access to my computer (remotely) & thought maybe this is what's happening.

I'm going to read what you said now & do that, b/c now my computer isn't even allowing me to move files from one folder to another :( Geeze.

Thanks

Mich :)

It actually scared me, b/c I've been wondering if someone has access to my computer (remotely) & thought maybe this is what's happening.

If somebody were going to PUT programs on your computer remotely without your knowledge they would certainly be much more malicious I would think. Now that of course would be possibly something somebody would do if they wanted to search through your business emails I suppose, Xobni IS a legitmate program for organizing Outlook emails which allows you to find info about contacts and such. But as you said, you no longer use Outlook so it wouldn't do anyone any good really, but that doesn't mean somebody else couldn't have installed it remotely either. I still believe it very likely came in with that TechTracker program.
One thing, earlier you said this:

Now I just rely upon my router's firewall.

That is most definitely NOT enough. It is just one piece of protection. The router firewall only protects what is connected to the router, that is all. You should have a firewall ON the computer. There are many which are very good and certainly other options other than Zone Alarm.

now my computer isn't even allowing me to move files from one folder to another

What happens when you try to do this? How full is the hard drive?

Ok, here's what I've done...

1. uninstalled the CNET Tech Tracker
2. Searched for Open Candy & deleted that.
3. Searched for Xobni & found this... XOBNISERVICEINSTALLER.EXE-2AE27AD0.pf (should I delete that?)

Found my Word doc (took me forever) that listed all of the drivers we had to install when we reformatted 1.5 yrs. ago. I have so much that always needs to be reinstalled, that I finally started a Word doc to keep track.

My computer is just a clone, no brand name & so it may have come with a reinstall disk, but I just checked, & I can't find anything in my box of CDs :( I found the drivers for the Asus, but I assume they are old hence us DLing them from the net.

Here are the notes that were in the Word doc...

It was an ASUS EAX300 Series, the download we got was from here:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=EAX300%20Series

to get the networking to work, we installed the nforce drivers for the motherboard: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html

4. When I went to look for the name of the graphics card (see below), first it only had 2 names there, not 3 & second, it looks slightly different than what I pulled from the word doc. I thought maybe it was a typo, but even the URL has the letter "E" in it.

ASUS AX300 Series
ASUS AX300 Series Secondary

As for how I can stand it, I vaguely remember when the problems started occurring. I think it was right after Fx came out with a new update, so I just assumed it was a Fx issue & would be fixed in the next update.

Time went on, I was busy working & as you know, cleaning a computer my size is a time consuming thing. I was also wondering if my computer was too packed although my HD isn't even 1/2 full the last time I checked & 1 GB of memory should suffice still, right?

I also did post my HJT logs on Daniweb a couple of times & no one found anything, so I thought it was just me.

Other times I thought it was the website I was on & that it was just a piece of crap when it came to code & that's why it wasn't loading properly.

Finally I got scared after I couldn't open up "My Computer" without it hanging & I started to have the same problem w/ Fx.

My assistant told me to reboot & then try it, but I didn't have the time (I have a lot of programs open generally when I'm working, so to reboot means I have to shut down what I'm working on) so I said I'll do it next time.

A couple of weeks later I finally remembered to check when I rebooted, & w/ hardly anything open it still hung, so I knew it wasn't the amount of programs open. I didn't think it was, but everyone likes to blame my work habits :)

Today has been scary not being able to drag & drop files. I think that's only happened to me once b4.

I ran Eset again & it found nothing, same with MBW.

Thanks Judy, I don't want you to take so much time away from your life. Wish it was something we could find easily & just fix.

Michelle :)

Actually, a lot depends on what programs you have open and running all the time. If these are resource intensive programs then...your employees are right :), you need to shut things down and reboot. With many programs this really is the only way to release the memory. If you have a large computer as you say and run labor intensive programs, then no 1GB of RAM is probably NOT enough. I am running a little 40GB Dell...I have 1.5GB of RAM. I am certain you could probably take more.
To really find out, go to http://www.crucial.com/ and do their FREE scan and it will tell you exactly how much RAM your system can handle, what you need and how much it costs...they are the cheapest place generally.

To get detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, go to http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and run that scan. That will tell you exactly what hardware is installed on the computer and we can go from there for correct drivers.
Both of these scans take just a few moments.
Come back with the info. I don't need logs, just the info.

By the way, you have a lot of unnecessary auto starts, which will slow the system, sap resources and also cause problems.
Judy

Re: firewall - but I Had a problem with it conflicting w/ other software a few years back.

Don't ask me what it conflicted with, I don't remember. That guy told me that all he uses is his router's firewall, so I thought it was fine.

Which firewall do you recommend?

Ok, stats of my HDs:

1. C - 41.3 GB Free, 17.7 Used
2. D - 50.9 Free, 6.14 GB Used
3. E - 58 GB Free, 12.0 Used

So as you can see, it's not the HD space.

Thanks

Mich

I have to go eat in a minute as I'm dying here. I will get the other 2 things done afterwards b/c my computer is freaking out since I decided to do a disk cleanup & compress each drive LOL

I agree I probably need more memory, but that clearly isn't the problem with things hanging b/c remember I said that happens even after I reboot when I don't have Fx or TB or Word/Excel open.

Also, someone told me a long time ago that having more than 1 GB of memory does nothing to speed up the computer. I can't remember his exact words, but he was saying to deal with the virtual memory settings or something (can't remember now).

Did things change with computers? Does having more than 1 GB allow the computer to use all of the memory?

I will have to find someone to walk me thru on the phone how to install it, b/c I'm not going to spend $50-75 just to install one stick.

I've never done it b4, but I've seen it done & I know it's fairly simple, I just don't know how many slots I have left & of course there's no way to tell other than opening the case, right?

Btw, I still need the instructions on unchecking programs to start when the computer is rebooted. You sent me something days ago, but it didn't work for me.

Also, one of the reasons I want certain programs to start, is so I don't forget to open them.

Yahoo for one has to restart otherwise I'll forget, but most of the other programs I start on my own, other than Anti Vir, etc.

Thanks

Mich

P.S. Suddenly my computer is allowing me to drag & drop files again.

Before it wouldn't do anything, even when I cut them, it would look cut, I'd go to the folder to paste & the paste was greyed out & the files would be back where they used to be.

You know I'm wondering if that Advanced System Care Iobit software was working. Wasn't it supposed to compress drives as well?

B/c this is taking a really long time. Maybe that's normal, I don't know.

Mich

Well, with further research you probably are ok with just the router firewall.
But the additional RAM I would say is something you need.
If you do the scan at Crucial it will tell you how many slots you have and what you can put in them.
Adding ram is literally a snap...because that is the sound it makes when you snap it in. And that IS all you do. I have done it a number of times. Takes longer to disconnect all the cords from the computer and open the case than it does to install the RAM. To be 100% accurate, an 8 year old child could EASILY install new RAM in a computer.
Most advice today tell you when you get a new machine START with 1GB of RAM...at the very least. Adding RAM is really and truly the most cost effective investment to speed up a slow machine.

Also, someone told me a long time ago that having more than 1 GB of memory does nothing to speed up the computer. I can't remember his exact words, but he was saying to deal with the virtual memory settings or something (can't remember now).

Here is a very simple and understandable explanation of Virtual Memory from Ask Leo and I honestly think is what is happening to your machine...freezing, not being able to work between programs, swapping files, etc. Read what he says very carefully:

Virtual Memory is simply the operating system using some amount of disk space as if it were real memory.

Exactly how virtual memory is implemented is complex and well beyond what I'd want to present here. But in an over-simplified nutshell it works like this:

*You run programs that need memory. The operating system takes care of tracking which program is using what portions of memory, and allocating each program the amount of memory it needs.
*Those programs will need more memory as they do their jobs. Opening a large document may cause your word processor to request additional memory from the operating system in order to hold the document.
*If there isn't enough memory available to satisfy a request, the operating system may decide that another program's needs are less "important". Some of that program's memory will be freed, first by writing the contents to disk (the memory is "swapped out"), and then allocated to the program making the request.
*Later when the program whose memory was swapped out needs it back, that memory can be "swapped in" by reading it back from disk. This might cause memory from another program to be swapped out to make room.

Also remember that the operating system itself is also just a program. So it too will have need for memory. It can allocate memery to itself and its memory may get swapped out to disk as other needs arise.

As I said, disks are slower than memory, so if the operating system is doing a lot of swapping between the two it's going to slow your computer down. If that's happening frequently or if your computer seems to be "thrashing" or constantly swapping in and out from disk, then it might be time to add some memory to your machine. It can be one of the most cost effective ways to increase your system's speed.

Does that description of "thrashing" or constantly swapping in and out from disk" sound familiar to you?

You know I'm wondering if that Advanced System Care Iobit software was working.
Wasn't it supposed to compress drives as well?

As I told you in the beginning, this company is very questionable at this time. I have seen many machines using this software with problems
Disk Compression, also an explanation from Ask Leo and IF it should be done AND on what files. FYI, I rarely do this and I use lots of programs and have never had my computer slow from not doing this. The only program which I do use compression on regularly is my Outlook Express...occasionally.
Here is Leo's explanation doing File Compression:

Using file compression to save space is nothing new, even when it's native in the file system used by Windows. But it's not necessarily a slam dunk....if good compression can "makes things smaller", what's the catch?
Compression is Work - One thing that they all compression algorithms share is that they require calculation. That means when you compress or decompress a file on your computer, your CPU needs to do more work than if the file were not compressed. Different algorithms have different characteristics - some require a great deal of CPU processing to compress the data, while the decompression can be lightning fast. Others compress comparatively poorly, but take less time to do it.

Compressing files that are already compressed doesn't help. - A file that has already been compressed by a reasonably good compression algorithm will typically not compress well if you try to compress it again with another. In fact, in the worst case, a "compressing" a compressed file can sometimes even make it bigger. And here's the catch within the catch: many files you use ever day are already compressed. Typically audio, video and image formats are already using compression algorithms as part of the file format. ".mp3", ".jpg", ".mpg" files, and similar, are all already compressed, and typically to not benefit much from attempts to compress them further....
If the files you're considering compressing are used infrequently, then they might be candidates. The "old files" from a disk cleanup utility probably fall into this category.
*If the files you're considering compressing aren't already compressed, then it could make sense. There's no way for me to know what files disk cleanup is pointing you at, so I can't say how this might apply to you.
*If you have a powerful enough CPU, you can compress files used more frequently. I definitely wouldn't compress files I use frequently on an older machine. It can slow down your machine as the CPU gets more involved in every disk access.
*Realize that compressed files and compressed file systems are harder to recover in the event of a crash. Make sure that you're appropriately backed up.
My advice? Don't bother. Compression on average will probably recover only about 50% of the space used by files you compress. If you're really running into space problems that have you looking at this, you're probably better off adding a hard drive to your system.
And in the long run, allowing your disk cleanup utility to compress old files likely won't hurt. It probably just won't get you a lot either.

OMG, forget that, I don't have 1, I have TWO GB of memory.

I can still upgrade, but clearly that's not the issue.

Here's the info from that scan...

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Total Memory Slots: 4
# Dual Channel Support: Yes
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz Model 15, Stepping 6
# CPU Speed: 2133 MHz

Ok, I had Belarc on my computer, but DLed the latest version.

I hope you can read this since it's hard to copy tables....

System Security Status
CIS Benchmark Score
Score
3.13 of 10 (details...)

Virus Protection
OK
Up-to-date

Microsoft Security Updates
OK
Up-to-date

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Exotic-3c629299 (in WORKGROUP)
Profile Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:24:49 AM
Advisor Version: 8.1e
Windows Logon: Michelle

Plan for your next computer refresh...
click for Belarc's System Management products

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.13 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI 1.XX
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0202 11/22/2006
Drives Memory Modules c,d
200.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
167.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY DVD RW DRU-710A [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] (57 MB) -- drive 1
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
ST3200826AS [Hard drive] (200.05 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 2020202020202020202020204E333144424D5133 2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_A1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM_A2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM_B1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM_B2' has 1024 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 63.44 GB 47.66 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 61.34 GB 54.77 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 0) 75.25 GB 65.22 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Administrator 7/29/2008 11:26:07 PM (admin)
Michelle 11/25/2009 12:08:34 AM (admin)
local system accounts
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

eFax 4.4 on eFax_4_4_Port
HP Officejet 5600 series on USB003
HP Officejet 5600 series fax on USB003
Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
pdfFactory 3 on FPP3:
Samsung ML-2240 Series on USB004
Samsung ML-2510 Series on USB001
Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller (2x)
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ASUS Extreme AX300 Series [Display adapter]
ASUS Extreme AX300 Series Secondary [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n HCHX506829, May 2004)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller Realtek High Definition Audio
Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
AntiVir Desktop Version 9.0.1.32
Virus Definitions Version Up To Date
Realtime File Scanning On
None discovered
Communications Other Devices

1394 Net Adapter
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.100 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:18:F3:FB:8B:B5

Networking Dns Servers: 24.226.1.93
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Asus Video3D Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft Serial BallPoint [Mouse]
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
Generic USB Hub
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (2x)
Generic volume shadow copy

See your entire network map...

new Network Map (mouse over IP address for physical address) [Back to Top]
IP Device Type Device Details Device Roles
192.168.1.1 Router Linksys / WRT54G v1.02.7 DHCP Server, Gateway, Web Server
192.168.1.100 Windows XP Workstation Exotic-3c629299 (in WORKGROUP),
exotic-3c629299.cgocable.net, Asustek Browse Master

Find your security vulnerabilities...

Missing Microsoft Security Hotfixes [Back to Top]

All required security hotfixes (using the 11/10/2009 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed.

Manage all your software licenses...

Software Licenses [Back to Top]

Avira - AntiVir Desktop 144b371e7d92167f17bd16e0012761c02f74415f
Belarc - Advisor d5878f2c
CISRA - Canon Utilities ZoomBrowser EX Canon ZoomBrowser
FinePrint Software - pdfFactory3 WFNH5-FD54B-3FP85
Hewlett-Packard - HP Image Zone Express 1
Hewlett-Packard - WebReg CN72RD800H04B2
Microsoft - ActiveSync 89569-397-5039022-04590
Microsoft - Internet Explorer 92318-600-5159762-22596
Microsoft - Office Professional Edition 2003 73931-640-3164455-57214 (Key: GDT3P-KVKW4-RHTV9-QD6JG-HXMQY)
Microsoft - WebFldrs XP 12345-111-1111111-18720
Microsoft - Windows XP Professional 76487-025-5159762-22596 (Key: FK773-8YT99-Q8CBJ-H6C6F-73MYY)
Nico Mak Computing - WinZip RWD7L-FH2R2-ELG2Z-V67EH-Y8QH2-TTJ0U

Find unused software and reduce licensing costs...

new Software Versions & Usage (mouse over i for details, click i for location) [Back to Top]

i
Acrobat.com
ı
i
Adobe Acrobat Version 9.2.0.124

i
Adobe AIR 1.1 Version 1.1
ı
i
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager Version 1.0.5.0
ı
i
Adobe Reader Version 9.2.0.124
ı
i
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. - Catalyst Control Centre Version 2.0.0.0
ı
i
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Catalyst® Control Center Version 1, 0, 0, 1

i
Alexander Roshal - WinRAR archiver Version 3.71.0.0
ı
i
Apache HTTP Server Version 2.0.52
ı
i
app_filter Module Version 1, 0, 1, 0
ı
i
Apple Inc. - Bonjour Version 1,0,6,2

i
Apple Inc. - QuickTime QuickTime 7.6.2 (1324)

i
ASUSTek Computer Inc. - ASUS GameFace Live Version 2.50 (2.50.0003)
ı
i
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - ASUS Keyboard Service Version 1, 0, 0, 0

i
ASUSTek Computer Inc. - ASUS VideoSecurity Version 3, 0, 0, 8
ı
i
ASUSTeK Inc. - ASUS SmartDoctor Version 4, 5, 5, 0

i
Atelio Software, Inc. - Ultra Tag Editor Version 2.4.3
ı
i
ATI Desktop Component Version 6.14.10.5125
ı
i
ATI External Event Utility for Windows Version 6.14.10.4201

i
ATI Smart Version 5.13.0021

i
ATI Technologies Inc. - Catalyst Control Centre Version 2.0.0.0
ı
i
Avira GmbH - AntiVir Desktop Version 9.00.01.32
ı
i
Belarc, Inc. - Advisor Version 8.1e

i
Canon Digital Camera Version 1.2.0.13

i
Canon Information Systems Research Australia Pty Ltd. - PhotoRecord Version 1, 6, 0, 12

i
Canon Utilities PhotoStitch Launcher Version 3.1.2

i
Canon Utilities RemoteCapture Version 2.7.0.10
ı
i
Carbonite InfoCenter Version 3.7.3 build 196 (Jan-09-2009)
ı
i
Carbonite Secure Backup Engine Version 3.7.3 build 196 (Jan-09-2009)

i
Carbonite Setup Version 3.7.3 build 196 (Jan-09-2009)

i
Cinematronics - 3D Pinball Version 5.1.2600.5512

i
Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - GoToAssist Corporate Version 9.0 Build 570

i
Corel Corporation Limited - PerfectFit 32-Bit Version 8.0.0.225

i
Corel Corporation Limited - Presentations for Windows Version 8.0.0.225

i
Corel Corporation Limited - Quattro Pro for Windows Version 8.0.0.227
ıı
i
Corel Corporation Limited - WordPerfect for Windows Version 8.0.0.225

i
Create Timer Install Disks

i
Driver Genius Professional Edition Version 8.00.0316
ı
i
filecheckertutorial Version 1.00

i
FinePrint Software, LLC - pdfFactory Version 3.30
ı
i
GARMIN Corp. - gStart Version 2.3.1

i
GARMIN Corp. - MapSource Version 6.15.6.0

i
GARMIN Corp. - UnlockWizard Version 3.1.2.0

i
GARMIN Corp. - WebUpdater Version 2.4.2.0

i
Garmin Training Center(r) Version 3.4.5.0

i
Google Chrome Version 0.0.0.0
ı
i
Google Update Version 1.2.131.7

i
Hewlett-Packard - HP Update Client Version 5, 0, 8, 1
ı
i
Hewlett-Packard - hpwuSchd Application Version 80, 1, 0, 0

i
Hewlett-Packard - Install Consumer Experience Version 5,3,0,75
ı
i
Hewlett-Packard Co. - hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series Version 053.000.013.000

i
Hewlett-Packard Co. - hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series Version 070.000.170.001

i
Hewlett-Packard Co. - hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series Version 111.000.006.000

i
Hewlett-Packard Co. - HP Image Zone Express Version 1.5.1.29

i
Hewlett-Packard Company - HP Solution Center Version 050.000.152.000
ı
i
HP PML Version 10, 1, 1, 6

i
I.R.I.S. SA - Registration Wizard Version 5, 0, 0, 2

i
ICQ ICQRun Version 1, 0, 0, 1

i
ICQ Version 6.0.0.7015

i
ID-Blaster Plus Version 2.00

i
IniCom Networks, Inc. - FlashFXP Version 3.6.0.1240

i
InstallDriver Module Version 7.03
ı
i
Intuit Inc. - QuickBooks Automatic Update Version 16.0 R7
ıııı
i
Intuit, Inc. - QuickBooks Version 16.0C R1

i
j2 Global Communications, Inc. - eFax Messenger (tm) Version 4.4.0.511

i
Javacool Software LLC - EULAlyzer v1.2 Version 1.02

i
Macromedia, Inc. - Shockwave Flash Version 7,0,19,0
ı
i
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Version 1.41

i
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7.0.18066

i
Microsoft ActiveSync Version 4.5.5096

i
Microsoft Application Error Reporting Version 12.0.6010.5000

i
Microsoft Clip Organizer Version 11.0.8164
ı
i
Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 8.00.6001.18702
ı
i
Microsoft Corporation - Office Source Engine Version 11.0.5525
ı
i
Microsoft Corporation - Windows Installer - Unicode Version 3.1.4001.5512

i
Microsoft Corporation - Windows Live Call Version 14.0.8064.0206

i
Microsoft Corporation - Windows Live installer Version 12.0.1471.1025

i
Microsoft Corporation - Windows Live Messenger Version 14.0.8064.0206

i
Microsoft Corporation - Windows Movie Maker Version 2.1.4026.0

i
Microsoft Corporation - Windows® NetMeeting® Version 3.01

i
Microsoft Corporation - Zone.com Version 1.2.626.1

i
Microsoft Data Access Components Version 3.525.1132.0
ı
i
Microsoft Office 2003 Version 11.0.8316

i
Microsoft Office Document Imaging Version 11.0.8166.2
ııı
i
Microsoft Office InfoPath Version 11.0.8161

i
Microsoft Office Isolated Converter Environment Version 12.0.6413.1000

i
Microsoft Office Outlook Version 11.0.8312

i
Microsoft Office Picture Manager Version 11.0.8161

i
Microsoft Office Save My Settings/Profile Wizard Version 11.0.8161

i
Microsoft Open XML Converter Version 12.0.6413.1000
ı
i
Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.3053

i
Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 3.0.6920.1427
ıııı
i
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Version 11.0.5721.5145

i
Monitor Calibration Wizard
ı
i
Mozilla Corporation - Firefox Version 3.5.5
ı
i
Mozilla Corporation - Thunderbird Version 2.0.0.23

i
MS Extra links

i
NETSCAPE Version 4.01

i
Novell, Inc. - WP Shared Code Version 2.3.0.0
ı
i
NVIDIA Corporation - ActiveArmor Firewall Version 2, 2, 0, 489

i
NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager Version 2, 2, 0, 464
ı
i
NVIDIA nSvcLog Version 2, 2, 0, 464

i
Pavel Cvrcek - MozBackup Version 1.4.9
ı
i
Personal Assistant Version 1, 0, 0, 1

i
PFREG.EXE
ı
i
Piriform Ltd - CCleaner Version 2, 25, 0, 1025

i
Safer Networking Limited - Secure Shredder Version 1.9.0.0

i
Safer Networking Limited - Spybot - Search & Destroy Version 1, 5, 2, 0

i
Safer Networking Limited - Spybot - Search & Destroy Version 1, 6, 0, 0
ıı
i
Safer Networking Limited - Spybot - Search & Destroy Version 1.6.0.3
ıı
i
Safer Networking Limited - SpyBot-S&D Version 1, 6, 2, 0
ı
i
Samsung PanelMgr Version 3, 1, 7, 0

i
SEC OpenFile Version 1, 0, 1, 0

i
SetLang.exe Version 1, 0, 2, 0
ı
i
SpywareBlaster Version 4.02
ı
i
Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U17 Version 6.0.170.4
ı
i
Trend Micro Inc. - HijackThis Version 2.00.0002
ı
i
VideoLAN Team - VLC media player Version 0.8.6.0
ı
i
WinZip Version 11.2 (8067)
ı
i
WinZip Version 11.2 (8094)

i
WordPerfect for Windows Version 6.1.0.0
ı
i
Yahoo! Messenger Version 9,0,0,2161

i
Zb Module Version 4.1.0.46

i Mouse over to see details, click to see where software is installed.
ı Marks software last used within the past 7 days.
ıı Marks software last used within the past 90 days, but over 7 days ago.
ııı Marks software last used within the past year, but over 90 days ago.
ıııı Marks software last used over 1 year ago.
Unmarked software lacks the data to determine last use.

Audit your security posture...

Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]
.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
no verification data KB958481 on 2/12/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB974417 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
.NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
no verification data KB958483 on 2/12/2009 (details...)
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
no verification data KB958484 on 2/12/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB963707 on 7/18/2009 (details...)
CAPICOM
no verification data KB931906 on 8/3/2008 (details...)
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
no verification data KB954711[SP] on 6/12/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB969613 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB969618 on 5/29/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB972581 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB973704 on 11/14/2009 (details...)
MSXML4SP2
no verification data KB936181 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB954430 on 12/8/2008 (details...)
Office Professional Edition 2003
no verification data KB907417 on 8/3/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB921598 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB923618[SP] on 8/3/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB943649 on 8/3/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB943973 on 8/3/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB945185 on 8/3/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB947319 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB950213 on 8/3/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB951535 on 12/8/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB953404 on 10/26/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB955439 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB957784 on 5/29/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB972580 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB973443 on 11/14/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB973475 on 11/14/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB973705 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB974554 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB975958 on 11/14/2009 (details...)
WGA
SP0
passed verification KB892130 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
Windows Media Format 11 SDK
SP0
passed verification KB929399 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
Windows Media Player 11
SP0
passed verification KB939683 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB954154_WM11 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB959772_WM11 on 3/28/2009 (details...)
SP2
passed verification KB936782_WMP11 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
Windows Media Player
SP0
passed verification KB952069_WM9 on 12/19/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB954155_WM9 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB968816_WM9 on 9/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973540_WM9 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
Windows XP
SP0
passed verification KB938127-V2-IE7 on 9/2/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB941569 on 8/4/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB950759-IE7 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB953838-IE7 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB956390-IE7 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB958215-IE7 on 12/19/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB960714-IE7 on 12/28/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB961260-IE7 on 2/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB963027-IE7 on 4/26/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB969897-IE7 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB969897-IE8 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB971180-IE8 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB971961-IE8 on 9/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB972260-IE8 on 8/6/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB974455-IE8 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB976749-IE8 on 11/8/2009 (details...)

Windows XP (continued)
SP10
passed verification MSCOMPPACKV1 on 8/2/2008 (Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP)
SP3
no verification data KB936929[SP] on 7/24/2008 (details...)
SP4
passed verification KB923561 on 4/26/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB938464 on 10/26/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB942763 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB946648 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB950760 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB950762 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB950974 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB951066 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB951072-V2 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB951376-V2 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB951698 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB951748 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB951978 on 7/24/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB952004 on 4/26/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB952287 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB952954 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB953839 on 8/21/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB954211 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB954459 on 12/8/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB954550-V5 on 2/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB954600 on 12/19/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB955069 on 12/8/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB955839 on 12/19/2008 (details...)
no verification data KB956391 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB956572 on 4/26/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB956744 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB956802 on 12/19/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB956803 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB956841 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB956844 on 9/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB957095 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB957097 on 12/8/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB958644 on 11/20/2008 (details...)
passed verification KB958687 on 1/23/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB958690 on 3/28/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB958869 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB959426 on 4/26/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB960225 on 3/28/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB960715 on 2/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB960803 on 4/26/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB960859 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB961118 on 3/1/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB961371 on 7/18/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB961373 on 4/26/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB961501 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB961503 on 5/29/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB967715 on 3/1/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB968389 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB968537 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB969059 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB969898 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB969947 on 11/14/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB970238 on 6/12/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB970653-V3 on 9/11/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB971486 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB971557 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB971633 on 7/18/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB971657 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB973346 on 7/18/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973354 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973507 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
no verification data KB973525 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973815 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973869 on 8/28/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB974112 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB974571 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB975025 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB975467 on 10/17/2009 (details...)
Windows
SP1
passed verification IDNMITIGATIONAPIS on 7/24/2008 (Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs)
passed verification NLSDOWNLEVELMAPPING on 7/24/2008 (Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs)

Click here to see all available Microsoft security hotfixes for this computer.

[installed security hotfix] Marks a security hotfix (using the 11/10/2009 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary)
[failing installed security hotfix] Marks a security hotFix that fails verification (a security vulnerability)
verifies OK Marks a hotfix that verifies correctly
fails verification Marks a hotfix that fails verification (note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)
Unmarked hotfixes lack the data to allow verification

Hmm, no, I don't think that's what the issue is.

The slowing down of the computer ONLY happens when I step away from the computer (even if it's for 2 secs), come back & click on Fx.

Or, when I open up the my computer window. Once that window loads, it's very fast & I don't hear the HD going nuts during this time.

There are times when I hear it running & I don't know what it is, but it's not when I'm locked.

If it was a problem with really large files, it would do it on everything from TB to Word, to a heavy Excel file I usually have open, & those never cause problems.

In the next week or so I'll try to find memory over here & take my CPU over & get them to put it in & Ill price check w/ the site you gave me.

Thanks

Mich

Well sorry I couldn't help you. Hope you find the answer.

Ok

Thank you

Ok

Thank you

Just remembered I didn't give you those auto starting programs which are not required to auto start and can be accessed by Start->Programs.
All of these run all the time in the background. You also need to remember that just not the particular file noted runs in the background but there are many other processes which may also be loaded with each individual program so one program may have several other processes running in connection with it. This can result in excessive resource usage which is unnecessary and taxing to the machine also.
The choice is yours of course but many of these will load faster if loaded manually.
You can disable these via msconfig but as this is just considered a trouble shooting tool really I would recommend using something like Mike Lin's Startup Control panel to control auto starts. Free, easy to use and it is a stand alone program so it uses no resources really.
Here is the list of unneeded auto starts and an explanation of each.

ATIPTA-Control panel for the ATI series of video cards allowing access to such features as display resolution, colour depth, etc. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Some users may need it if they have optimised their settings
HP Software Update-exactly what it says it is. Can easily be run manually, plus updates are fairly rare.
StartCCC-ATI's CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER. Required if you want to change graphics settings on a regular basis but you must have internet access and Microsoft's .NET framework installed. Note that this has "runtime" appended to cli.exe in the "Command" column of MSCONFIG. If not you can start the program manually via Start -> Programs -> ATI Catalyst Control Center -> Advanced -> Restart Runtime
QuickTime Task-System Tray access to Apple's "Quick Time" viewer from version 5 onwards
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher- Presumably speeds up the time it takes to load the Adobe Reader application. Your choice, but not required for Adobe Reader to function properly, actually only speeds time by a few seconds
AdobeARM-part of new Adobe Acrobat\Reader updater. Most info I have found recommends disabling this auto start.
ASUS SmartDoctor. ASUS SmartDoctor is a group of special tools to help users make the most of their ASUS graphics cards.
gStart-Added by the Garmin Training Center training tool. gStart.exe is a program that detects when you connect a Garmin GPS device and automatically launches the Training Center.
Google Update-used by Google products such as Picasa and Chrome, among others, to check for new updates.
Quick View Plus-Multiple file type viewer. Available via Start -> Programs
WinZip Quick Pick-Added with WinZip version 8.1. "The new WinZip Quick Pick taskbar tray icon gives you instant access to WinZip and your Zip files. Just left click the icon to open WinZip, or right click it to instantly reopen recently used Zip files, access your Favorite Zip Folders, open WinZip Help, or start WinZip itself.". You can right-click and close it - choosing to not re-load it at start-up

Judy

Thanks Judy, that was easy once I figured it out :)

Ok, I unchecked everything but the Smart Doctor b/c I'm still confused about that graphics card issue.

I guess you weren't able to figure that out?

Have a great wknd., & Happy Thanksgiving :)

Michelle

I'm still confused about that graphics card issue.

I guess you weren't able to figure that out?

I am sorry, had all this saved to post to you and forgot. It appears that you have the correct driver but maybe you need a newer edition. Don't know when you installed it but the latest edition came out in April of this year so you might check the page and see if the newer driver is the same one that you have.
You noted this earlier:

When I went to look for the name of the graphics card (see below), first it only had 2 names there, not 3 & second, it looks slightly different than what I pulled from the word doc. I thought maybe it was a typo, but even the URL has the letter "E" in it.

I may be wrong but I believe the "E" applies to the actual name of the card with is ASUS Extreme AX300 Series Secondary, which is where the "E" would come in.

Is there a reason you feel you need the Smart Doctor running all the time? Do you overclock your card? Do you change graphic settings all the time?

You might want to begin a thread in our Monitors, Displays and Video Card forums, there would be more people there who know about correct settings, video cards, etc., than I certainly do.
Judy

Hi there,

Ok, I'm confused as to what I should DL from this list. Can you tell?

So I should post there & tell them that I have 2 instances of the card on my computer & I'm getting that error message?

Also, I wanted to ask about this...

System Security Status
CIS Benchmark Score
Score
3.13 of 10 (details...)

Isn't that a very low score?

Thanks, hope you are having a great wknd.!

Mich

P.S. Forgot about addressing the Smart Doctor.

If you think I don't need it b/c of the graphic card issues, I can uncheck it, I just thought b/c I'm having problems, it would help.

Mich

Ok, I'm confused as to what I should DL from this list. Can you tell?

What list are you talking about?

So I should post there & tell them that I have 2 instances of the card on my computer & I'm getting that error message?

You don't have two cards on the system, only one:
ASUS Extreme AX300 Series Secondary [Display adapter]
What I first thought were two cards actually are the Display adapter from ASUS and then the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller so that was my mistake. You should check to see if there is an updated driver available

System Security Status
CIS Benchmark Score
Score
3.13 of 10 (details...)

What ARE the details given in that CIS Benchmark Score? That will tell you why it is 3.13 out of 10

Forgot about addressing the Smart Doctor.
If you think I don't need it b/c of the graphic card issues, I can uncheck it, I just thought b/c I'm having problems, it would help.

It isn't a required program. Honestly it might be the cause of your problems. If you uncheck it and stop it from running it isn't going to hurt anything. Try it for awhile and see if that makes a difference. You can always go back in and put the check mark back it, reboot and it will restart. This doesn't remove anything, it just stops it from auto starting.

1. Ok, I unchecked it.
2. The list of drivers, & when I went to go do a search, they don't have ASUS Extreme (only Innovations) & their year goes upto 2008, not 2009, so can you just shoot me the URL of where that new driver is so I can DL it. Thank you
3. That still doesn't explain why I keep getting this error telling me the graphics isn't available. Every time I reboot I get that popup.
4. Here's the details on the CIS Benchmark Score....

I don't understand any of this. Other than I haven't changed my p/w in a while.

Audit and Account Policies Section Score: 0.00 of 0.83
1. Audit Account Logon Events
2. Audit Account Management
3. Audit Logon Events
4. Audit Object Access
5. Audit Policy Change
6. Audit Privilege Use
7. Audit System Events
8. Minimum Password Age
9. Maximum Password Age
10. Password Complexity
11. Store Passwords using Reversible Encryption
12. Password History Size
13. Account Lockout Duration
14. Account Lockout Threshold
15. Reset Account Lockout Count Time

Event Log Policies Section Score: 0.00 of 0.83
1. Application Event Log: Maximum Size
2. Application Event Log: Restrict Guest Access
3. Security Event Log: Maximum Size
4. Security Event Log: Restrict Guest Access
5. System Event Log: Maximum Size
6. System Event Log: Restrict Guest Access

Security Settings
Anonymous Account Restrictions Section Score: 0.00 of 0.83
1. Network Access: Allow Anonymous SID/Name Translation
2. Network Access: Do not allow Anonymous Enumeration of SAM Accounts
3. Network Access: Do not allow Anonymous Enumeration of SAM Accounts and Shares

Security Options Section Score: 0.00 of 0.83
1. Accounts: Guest Account Status
2. Accounts: Limit Local Account Use of Blank Passwords to Console Logon Only
3. Accounts: Rename administrator account
4. Accounts: Rename guest account
5. Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media
6. Devices: Unsigned Driver Installation Behavior
7. Domain Member: Digitally Encrypt or Sign Secure Channel Data (Always)
8. Domain Member: Digitally Encrypt Secure Channel Data (When Possible)
9. Domain Member: Digitally Sign Secure Channel Data (When Possible)
10. Domain Member: Disable Machine Account Password Changes
11. Domain Member: Maximum Machine Account Password Age
12. Interactive Logon: Do Not Display Last User Name
13. Interactive Logon: Do Not Require CTRL+ALT+DEL
14. Interactive Logon: Message Text for Users Attempting to Log On
15. Interactive Logon: Message Title for Users Attempting to Log On
16. Interactive Logon: Number of Previous Logons to Cache
17. Interactive Logon: Prompt User to Change Password Before Expiration
18. Interactive Logon: Smart Card Removal Behavior
19. Microsoft Network Client: Digitally Sign Communication (if server agrees)
20. Microsoft Network Client: Send Unencrypted Password to Connect to Third-Party SMB Server
21. Microsoft Network Server: Amount of Idle Time Required Before Disconnecting Session
22. Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communication (if client agrees)
23. Microsoft Network Server: Disconnect Clients When Logon Hours Expire
24. Network Access: Let Everyone Permissions Apply to Anonymous Users
25. Network Access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously
26. Network Access: Sharing and Security Model for Local Accounts
27. Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level
28. Network Security: LDAP Client Signing Requirements
29. Recovery Console: Allow Automatic Administrative Log On
30. Shutdown: Allow System to be Shut Down Without Having to Log On
31. Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile
32. System Objects: Default Owner for Objects Created by Members of the Administrators Group

Additional Security Settings Section Score: 0.00 of 0.83
1. Suppress Dr. Watson Crash Dumps
2. Disable Automatic Execution of the System Debugger
3. Disable Autoplay from any Disk Type, Regardless of Application
4. Disable Autoplay from the Default Profile
5. Disable Automatic Logon
6. Disable Automatic Reboots After a Blue Screen of Death
7. Disable CD Autorun
8. Protect Against Computer Browser Spoofing Attacks
9. Protect Against Source-routing Spoofing
10. Protect the Default Gateway Network Setting
11. Ensure ICMP Routing via Shortest Path First
12. Help Protect Against Packet Fragmentation
13. Manage Keep-alive Times
14. Protect Against Malicious Name-release Attacks
15. Ensure Router Discovery is Disabled
16. Protect Against SYN Flood Attacks
17. SYN Attack Protection - Manage TCP Maximum Half-open Sockets
18. SYN Attack Protection - Manage TCP Maximum Half-open Retired Sockets
19. Enable IPSec to Protect Kerberos RSVP Traffic
20. Hide Workstation from Network Browser Listing
21. Enable Safe DLL Search Mode

Available Services and Other Requirements
Available Services Section Score: 0.00 of 0.63
1. Alerter Service Permissions
2. Clipbook Service Permissions
3. FTP Publishing Service Permissions
4. IIS Admin Service Permissions
5. Messenger Service Permissions
6. NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Service Permissions
7. Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Permissions
8. Routing and Remote Access Service Permissions
9. SMTP Service Permissions
10. SNMP Service Permissions
11. SNMP Trap Permissions
12. Telnet Service Permissions
13. World Wide Web Publishing Services Permissions

User Rights Section Score: 0.00 of 0.63
1. Access this Computer from the Network
2. Act as Part of the Operating System
3. Allow Logon through Terminal Services
4. Back up Files and Directories
5. Bypass Traverse Checking
6. Change the System Time
7. Create a Pagefile
8. Create a Token Object
9. Create Permanent Shared Objects
10. Debug Programs
11. Deny Access to this Computer from the Network
12. Force Shutdown from a Remote System
13. Generate Security Audits
14. Increase Scheduling Priority
15. Load and Unload Device Drivers
16. Lock Pages in Memory
17. Log on Locally
18. Manage Auditing and Security Log
19. Modify Firmware Environment Values
20. Perform Volume Maintenance Tasks
21. Profile Single Process
22. Profile System Performance
23. Remove Computer from Docking Station
24. Replace a Process Level Token
25. Restore Files and Directories
26. Shut Down the System
27. Take Ownership of File or Other Objects

Other System Requirements Section Score: 0.63 of 0.63
1. All Local Volumes NTFS
2. Restricted Group: Remote Desktop Users

File and Registry Permissions Section Score: 0.00 of 0.63
1. Permissions for HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer
2. Permissions for HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies
3. Permissions for HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\enum
4. Permissions for HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\PermittedManagers
5. Permissions for HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\ValidCommunities
6. Permissions for USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots
7. Permissions for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SeCEdit
8. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\tlntsvr.exe
9. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\tftp.exe
10. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\telnet.exe
11. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\subst.exe
12. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe
13. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\runas.exe
14. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\rsh.exe
15. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\rexec.exe
16. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe
17. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\regedt32.exe
18. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\regedit.exe
19. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe
20. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\rcp.exe
21. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\netsh.exe
22. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\net1.exe
23. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe
24. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\ftp.exe
25. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\eventtriggers.exe
26. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\eventcreate.exe
27. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\edlin.exe
28. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\drwtsn32.exe
29. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\drwatson.exe
30. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\debug.exe
31. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\cacls.exe
32. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\attrib.exe
33. Permissions for %SystemRoot%\system32\at.exe

=ep2002;1062260]1. Ok, I unchecked it.
2. The list of drivers, & when I went to go do a search, they don't have ASUS Extreme (only Innovations) & their year goes upto 2008, not 2009, so can you just shoot me the URL of where that new driver is so I can DL it. Thank you

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
When you get to that page do the following:
First Click Graphic Card
Then click ATi Series.
Then scroll all the way down through the list and choose the model which is EAX300 Series.
When the page opens you will see
134 files found
+VGA (5)<<<<-----This is what you want

+Utilities (85)***No
+Manual (44)***No

Click the + next to VGA and choose the very TOP driver, that is the most recent one.

As far as those CIS Benchmark Score listings, ignore them. I have no idea what they are or what they mean. I don't get those on my computer because I am not running XP Pro. So ignore them.

OMG, pls. tell me I didn't screw up.

The zip file I DLed was HUGE. I didn't look thru ALL the files there are sooo many of them, I just clicked on the first .exe I found (ATICIMUN.exe) & it was meant to uninstall everything, so I have no idea if I was supposed to do that or what :(

I tried to click on some of the other .exe files, but they gave me errors. HELP!!!

I haven't rebooted yet so the changes haven't taken place, but I don't know what to do now.

Michelle

Do you mean there were no instructions to follow?

Very often old drivers have to be uninstalled before new drivers can be installed.
Generally what is recommended is that old drivers be uninstalled, reboot. Tell Windows to "cancel" when it wants to reinstall the video card and then install the new drivers.
I believe this graphics card requires everything new when you do this, directx, everything.
I also found several notes on this Smart Doctor causing graphics problems, though this doesn't help of course with this issue now.

If you would prefer not to do this then allow Windows to go ahead and install the video card.

Hi Judy,

Sorry for the delay. I'm still sick, but I see you deleted my other thread.

Ok, my assistant helped me & we got the new drivers installed & it got rid of that popup box that told me there was a graphic card error, so that's great.

Unfortunately my computer is still causing problems & I really don't think it has anything to do with memory even though I will be getting another 2 MB soon.

I barely have anything open & I'm still having strange things happen like my main TB window just closed on it's own.

Similar things like that.

Thanks for all your help.

Michelle

Glad you got the graphic driver issue corrected.

but I see you deleted my other thread.

There was no need for that thread as all work was done in this thread and they pertained to the same issues.

strange things happen like my main TB window just closed on it's own.

I don't know what program you are talking about here.
Can you give me the settings you have for Virtual Memory?

TB = thunderbird

I can't remember how to get that, pls. tell me.

Thank you

Michelle

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.