TB = thunderbird
I can't remember how to get that, pls. tell me.
Thank you
Michelle

Not sure either what you mean by that Michelle, how to get what? If you all ready have Thunderbird on the computer you don't need to get it again, or do you mean you need to reinstall it?

Sorry Michelle, realized that you probably meant didn't know how to find virtual memory.
Here is how:
On Windows XP, look in Control Panel: System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory.
Here is an explanation of Virtual Memory which is fairly simplified and easier to understand:

Virtual memory is conceptually somewhere between RAM and hard disk space; it's disk space used to maximize the amount of RAM available to programs.
*You run programs that need memory. The operating system takes care of tracking which program is using what portions of memory, and allocating each program the amount of memory it needs.
* Those programs will need more memory as they do their jobs. Opening a large document may cause your word processor to request additional memory from the operating system in order to hold the document.
* If there isn't enough memory available to satisfy a request, the operating system may decide that another program's needs are less "important". Some of that program's memory will be freed, first by writing the contents to disk (the memory is "swapped out"), and then allocated to the program making the request.
*Later when the program whose memory was swapped out needs it back, that memory can be "swapped in" by reading it back from disk. This might cause memory from another program to be swapped out to make room.

Also remember that the operating system itself is also just a program. So it too will have need for memory. It can allocate memory to itself and its memory may get swapped out to disk as other needs arise.

As I said, disks are slower than memory, so if the operating system is doing a lot of swapping between the two it's going to slow your computer down.

General recommendations would be for machines running your 2GB would be set swap space to be about twice RAM or perhaps less say 1 and 1/2 times the amount of RAM installed.

I finally remembered what else the computer is doing that concerns me:

1. I think it's changing my cookies or IP address or something, b/c I'll go onto a site where I have to log in, & it will ask me my security question as if I'm not using the same computer I was using last time.

This has happened several times on 2 different sites. I keep answering the question, then the next time I log in it asks again.

2. Same thing happens with Fx. I thought it was just a Fx issue, but I have a strong feeling it's not.

I have a user name & p/w saved in my p/w area in Fx & it keeps changing back to another p/w. Every time I copy & paste in the correct one & Fx saves the correct one b/c it gives me the "change" button to click on, then every time I go back to the site once I've rebooted, it has the wrong p/w in it & I have to do it all over again.

Before I tied to find the entry in the p/w area to delete it, but Fx doesn't show all the entries properly, so I couldn't find it.

One time I did delete one entry I thought it was it, but it didn't help, same problem over & over again.

Thanks

Michelle

The computer shop I just called said they would be willing to test the memory that's already there which is a good idea.

Do you know of any sites that test the current memory & maybe the HD for bad sectors?

Thanks

Michelle

I finally remembered what else the computer is doing that concerns me:

1. I think it's changing my cookies or IP address or something, b/c I'll go onto a site where I have to log in, & it will ask me my security question as if I'm not using the same computer I was using last time.

This has happened several times on 2 different sites. I keep answering the question, then the next time I log in it asks again.

2. Same thing happens with Fx. I thought it was just a Fx issue, but I have a strong feeling it's not.

I have a user name & p/w saved in my p/w area in Fx & it keeps changing back to another p/w. Every time I copy & paste in the correct one & Fx saves the correct one b/c it gives me the "change" button to click on, then every time I go back to the site once I've rebooted, it has the wrong p/w in it & I have to do it all over again.

Before I tied to find the entry in the p/w area to delete it, but Fx doesn't show all the entries properly, so I couldn't find it.

One time I did delete one entry I thought it was it, but it didn't help, same problem over & over again.

Thanks

Michelle

This has to do likely with the way cookies are saved on the computer. If you empty them all then all of these types of cookies...the ones which remember your user name and password on specific sites will also be deleted. There are also some sites, like banks and such, which are set up to NOT allow these to be saved for security reasons. You will always have to sign in at these sites, no matter what. In Firefox you have to tell it to SAVE the password you put in there if it is different from the original one you saved. I don't believe if you have a different password for each site that it will save them all.

The computer shop I just called said they would be willing to test the memory that's already there which is a good idea.

Do you know of any sites that test the current memory & maybe the HD for bad sectors?

Thanks

Michelle

Why do you need to test it yourself if the computer shop is going to do it?
I have a disk which came with my computer containing Memtest and that will test the hard drive so I have never used any online testing like that which would be very comprehensive.

Oops, didn't see this until just now.

Ok, I think this is what you want...

Total Paging File: 4092 MB

Is that right?

Thanks

Mich

Sorry Michelle, realized that you probably meant didn't know how to find virtual memory.
Here is how:
On Windows XP, look in Control Panel: System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory.
Here is an explanation of Virtual Memory which is fairly simplified and easier to understand:

General recommendations would be for machines running your 2GB would be set swap space to be about twice RAM or perhaps less say 1 and 1/2 times the amount of RAM installed.

It's hard for me to read what you wrote b/c of my bad eye, but I don't think you are understanding me.

I'm not saying I expect the bank to remember my p/w, I'm saying it's asking me the sercurity question b/c it thinks I've changed computers, so that means the IP address is being changed (I think).

I'm also saying that when I change the p/w (this is on non bank types sites like my own) in Fx it doesn't change it, it keeps reverting back to the p/w that isn't correct.

Hope I'm clearer now.

Thanks

Michelle

This has to do likely with the way cookies are saved on the computer. If you empty them all then all of these types of cookies...the ones which remember your user name and password on specific sites will also be deleted. There are also some sites, like banks and such, which are set up to NOT allow these to be saved for security reasons. You will always have to sign in at these sites, no matter what. In Firefox you have to tell it to SAVE the password you put in there if it is different from the original one you saved. I don't believe if you have a different password for each site that it will save them all.

B/c I don't want to have to pay for it if I don't have to.

Michelle :)

Why do you need to test it yourself if the computer shop is going to do it?
I have a disk which came with my computer containing Memtest and that will test the hard drive so I have never used any online testing like that which would be very comprehensive.

It's hard for me to read what you wrote b/c of my bad eye, but I don't think you are understanding me.

I'm not saying I expect the bank to remember my p/w, I'm saying it's asking me the sercurity question b/c it thinks I've changed computers, so that means the IP address is being changed (I think).

I'm also saying that when I change the p/w (this is on non bank types sites like my own) in Fx it doesn't change it, it keeps reverting back to the p/w that isn't correct.

Hope I'm clearer now.

Thanks

Michelle

I don't believe it is EVER going to remember your security question answer...that is the point of the security question. If a stranger logged on they might be able to figure out your password but chances of them knowing the answer to your personal security question is very unlikely. There would be no point of having a security question at all if it can easily be saved on the computer.
Look at my attachment. Do you have Firefox set up like this?

No, you aren't understanding me. I don't expect it to remember my security answer, I expect it to know that my computer is still my computer & I'm not logging in from a different computer.

Never mind, that's ok & yes, of course that's how my Fx is set up.

Thanks

Michelle

Are you deleting your cookies? Are you deleting your temp files? If so, doesn't matter how you have Firefox or IE set up, you will have to sign in each time. This is how they are remembered, with those cookies but if you delete them all then, no, it will not remember.
If you are using something like CCleaner to remove temp files and internet temp files then they will be removed. There are any number of reasons why this is happening, has absolutely nothing to do with a website thinking you are signing on from a different computer.
You also have to have your Privacy settings set to Keep Cookies until they expire and not have them clear when you close Firefox

Ok, I think we finally figured it out. Thank you :)

Fx must have changed something in one of their new versions, so in the privacy tab it didn't look like those options were available, but they were, they were just hidden under a different drop down menu.

I didn't realize it was deleting cookies every single time I closed Fx LOL

What about my virtual memory, was that # ok?

Thanks Judy :)

Michelle

Ok, I think we finally figured it out. Thank you :)

Fx must have changed something in one of their new versions, so in the privacy tab it didn't look like those options were available, but they were, they were just hidden under a different drop down menu.

I didn't realize it was deleting cookies every single time I closed Fx LOL

What about my virtual memory, was that # ok?

Thanks Judy :)

Michelle

Default and recommended size of this file is 1.5 times the amount of physical memory on both the minimum and the maximum. That way the page file does not dynamically grow and shrink. On your 2GB of RAM this would be 3072MB but other than increasing the amount of disk space it takes it probably is ok.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the nudge :)

Ok, does that # go in the initial size or the max size fields or both?

I didn't really understand what you said above other than the # you gave me.

Thanks

If you read my reply above I said BOTH.

on both the minimum and the maximum. That way the page file does not dynamically grow and shrink. On your 2GB of RAM this would be 3072MB

Reboot the computer after you change this

Hi, it looks complicated, I often encounter this ,very low speed. What's the easy solution to fix this.

Hi, it looks complicated, I often encounter this ,very low speed. What's the easy solution to fix this.

As you see not often easy solutions. If you have a problem please create your own new thread and somebody will be happy to help you there. It is much better to work with ONE person and ONE computer per thread.

Ok, so I finally rebooted (you know how long it takes me to do that LOL) & believe it or no, when I go to My computer now, it opens up real fast, so that's great, BUT, that problem was fixed b4 I changed the virtual memory, so I'm wondering what was fixed?

I tend to like knowing what was wrong in the first place, but clearly I don't think we are going to get the answer to that.

I think since I rebooted the Fx hanging issue is solved, but since I just rebooted yesterday I don't know yet. Wow, I'm soooo happy.

Thank you soooo much Judy. Merry Christmas & a VERY Happy New Year.

Michelle

Michelle, honestly couldn't tell you WHAT fixed it...LOL. We did so much, let's put it down to...Christmas elves...LOL!
Merry Christmas to you too.
Judy

Just one thing b4 I mark it, hopefully over the next few days I'm going to try & run the Mem test (since I have to close everything) & I don't know how to deal with BIOS setting by myself, so I'll let you know if anything crops up.

Thanks

Michelle

Hi there,

Ok, so memory is fine & everything seems to be working a bit better now, no more hanging of the My computer window & although Fx is still sluggish when I click on a window once the computer has been inactive for a few minutes, it was better than b4.

What's still happening though is that again, every time I reboot, I have to answer security questions on sites I frequent every day, input my postal code into the TV Guide site b/c it's not remembering it, so the cookies or whatever remembers that I'm using the same computer isn't working even though I changed it a while ago.

Hope you are having a great New Years Even Judy

Thanks & TTYL

Michelle

You have too many processes running in the background and during the startup. Some can be turned off especially those startups on the task area. Maybe, freeing up some processes can help a little bit.

You have too many processes running in the background and during the startup. Some can be turned off especially those startups on the task area. Maybe, freeing up some processes can help a little bit.

juddsear, this thread is six months old. No point in posting here it is solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.