So the past week has been a fun one. I have had my wow account hacked, im guessing via key logger, because i dont give away my account info to any one, nor do i go to random sites and type in my info.

Along with that, my MSN likes to close once it starts up. Windows says "Windows Live Communications Platform has stoped working Aproblem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

The only tips windows gave me is to download my updates, which i did.

I ran the Hijackthis. and i clicked the top button "Scan and log" And a .txt poped up after 20 seconds, (Guessing the scan was that fast). The following is what was in the .txt.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:37:07 AM, on 11/24/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18828)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
C:\Windows\System32\WLTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\paltalk.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Taskmgr.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\Windows\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim] "C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe" /d locale=en-US
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmager] C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\Users\voz\AppData\Local\Temp\ciegbc.dll,Set1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\Users\voz\AppData\Local\Temp\3941xxx.dll,CE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MS_MASTER] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Users\voz\AppData\Local\Temp\yMaster.dll,w
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: PalTalk.lnk = C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\paltalk.exe
O9 - Extra button: PalTalk - {4EAFEF58-EEFA-4116-983D-03B49BCBFFFE} - C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\Paltalk.exe
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77F23EB-E7AB-4502-8F37-247DBAF1A147} (Windows Live Hotmail Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr01/photouploadcontrol/VistaMSNPUplden-us.cab
O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt.inf_c204e27d\aestsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt.inf_c204e27d\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 6367 bytes

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hi and welcome to daniweb,
Please Download ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune
• You can put ATF-Cleaner on your Desktop for easy access

RUN ATF-Cleaner.exe.

-- Click on ATF-Cleaner to run it
-- Where it says Select Files To Delete, Check the Select All Option
-- Click Empty Selected > OK
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.
Reboot the computer

Please Run the ESET Online Scanner and post the ScanLog with your post for assistance.

* You will need to use Internet Explorer to to complete this scan.
* You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program.

* Be sure the option to Remove found threats is Un-checked at this time (we may have it clean what it finds at a later time), and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked.
* When you have completed that scan, a scanlog ought to have been created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please post that log for us as directed below.
Reboot the computer.
Run a new system scan with HJT (yes it is a very quick scan) save the log, post back here with all three logs.
Judy

Ok, I followed your suggestions.

First i did the ATF-Cleaner. Went very smooth

Next was the Malwarebytes anti malware program. At first i did a quick scan (I was click happy) And got 2 things it found The second was a full scan, which found nothing. Below are both reports, Short scan first.

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ctfmon.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\msnmager (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

=========End of first report========

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3224
Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

11/24/2009 12:52:10 PM
mbam-log-2009-11-24 (12-52-10).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 203674
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 25 minute(s), 37 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

======== End of Second Report =======

Then after a restart i did the Eset scan. Here is the log for that, It found one item.

C:\Program Files\AVerMedia HC82 Express-Card Hybrid Analog\Driver\Vista_x86\MCEEncoderx86.exe probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent application

Then one more restart and i did the hijackthis scan. At first it said windows wasn't allowing a script to be written. The box said to "Run as admin" Which i did, and it worked fine i think.

Scan saved at 2:54:20 PM, on 11/24/2009

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MS_MASTER] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Users\voz\AppData\Local\Temp\yMaster.dll,w
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: PalTalk.lnk = C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\paltalk.exe
O9 - Extra button: PalTalk - {4EAFEF58-EEFA-4116-983D-03B49BCBFFFE} - C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\Paltalk.exe
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77F23EB-E7AB-4502-8F37-247DBAF1A147} (Windows Live Hotmail Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr01/photouploadcontrol/VistaMSNPUplden-us.cab
O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt.inf_c204e27d\aestsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt.inf_c204e27d\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 5368 bytes

Also i keep getting Zone Alam Alerts from Spooler Subsystem app trying to connect to the internet every time i restart. Each time i say no.

I was asked once for a Com Surrogate to connect to the internet from zone alarm. Google answers says its a program by vista, but its a horrible program and if anything gets into the program, the virus can work with out showing up in the task manager. So i said no to that program as well.

Thank you so much for the first response. Anything else i can do let me know. I still have that 1 program that Eset found, which i never got rid of yet.

Are you saying the ESET program did not fix or remove what it found?
It should have done so, or did you not tell it to fix anything?
If you didn't tell it to fix then you should run the scan again and this time have it fix whatever it finds.
But if you DID tell it to fix and it could not, let me know.
Also;
Do you know what this is?
It is located in a Temp file but is running automatically at start up, never a good idea.

ESET did find 1 file, but i told it not to delete the program. The first responce said "Be sure the option to Remove found threats is Un-checked at this time (we may have it clean what it finds at a later time), and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked." I will re-run ESET and delete that program.

And i do not know what thoes 2 programs are. But i do get errors on start up that C:\Users\voz\AppData\Local\Temp\yMaster.dll The exact windows text is the following:

Error loading C:\Users\voz\AppData\Local\Temp\yMaster.dll

The specified module could not be found.

Yes, run the ESET again, sorry I forgot to have you remove when I pasted the instructions. As for the one I asked about it evidently is gone if start up can't find it. We'll take care of that when you post back with the results of the ESET scan.
After you do the ESET scan run another HJT scan and post back with both logs.
Judy

I did the Eset scan, Once the file was found i stoped the scan, and this time the "delete files" box was checked. I wanted to stop the scan because last time it took about an hour. But i am running a full scan now and lets hope it doesn't find anything.

After i deleted the program (I think) I did the Hijackthis scan. Here is the report.

Windows was restarted twice, and both times it couldn't find that program C:\Users\voz\AppData\Local\Temp\yMaster.dll If its gone, can i do something so i dont have to click on that error box each time i restart?

And what about that other program? Should something be done about that?

Scan saved at 3:38:17 PM, on 11/24/2009

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10c.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Online Scanner\OnlineCmdLineScanner.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab

--
End of file - 5811 bytes

I did the Eset scan, Once the file was found i stoped the scan, and this time the "delete files" box was checked. I wanted to stop the scan because last time it took about an hour. But i am running a full scan now and lets hope it doesn't find anything.

After i deleted the program (I think) I did the Hijackthis scan. Here is the report.

If you stopped the ESET program before it had completed the Full Scan then it was not run properly and there is no guarantee that the program was removed properly, so the HJT scan you did after really isn't to be trusted either.
Please allow ESET to complete a Full Scan, when the scan is complete THEN is when you can do another HJT scan and post that log, until then I can't offer any suggestions.
Judy

Just did the full ESET scan. 101321 items scaned. Nothing was infected, nothing was cleaned. Scan status: Finished.

here is the HJT scan.

Scan saved at 9:40:33 PM, on 11/24/2009

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10c.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IELowutil.exe

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

--
End of file - 5784 bytes

Run HJT again and place a check mark next to the following entry:

Once you have placed the check mark click the Fix Checked button.
Exit HJT and reboot.

Now for that Zone Alarm warning, this is supposed to be for a networked printer. The request for access will try to connect to the internet even for a stand alone printer with remote access not enabled. Choose Always Deny access. Unless you're on a network, there is no reason for the Print Spooler to connect to the internet.

Click: Remember this answer the next time I use this program. when Zone
Alarm pops up with Spooler SubSystem App again.
Judy

kay. i checked the fix this. after the restart here is the hijackthis report.

Scan saved at 9:02:52 AM, on 11/26/2009

Running processes:

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

--
End of file - 5343 bytes

Your log looks clean, are you still having problems?

Not that i know of. I am able to run msn with out problems. Windows start up doesn't give me any errors about that dll program.

All i am woundering now is, how do i prevent these key loggers. Avira does a good job blocking stuff i think. I get a few pop-ups from avira saying a html script virus is trying to load, and i always click deny access. And keyloggers/malwear is different from spywear & virus's correct? Would a normal anti virus program protect me?

I wouldn't say im new to computers. i dont DL stupid random stuff, i dont open up emails from people i dont know, and if i do, msn does block it, i dont play around with torrents. I dont think i should be getting malwear and stuff. Any thoughts?

I dont think i should be getting malwear and stuff. Any thoughts?

A MUST have is SpywareBlaster.

SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware--it prevents it from being installed in the first place. SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs. It can also block spyware/tracking cookies in IE, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, and many other browsers, and restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites.

I wouldn't run a computer without it. Download, install, update, Enable ALL protection, including Restricted Sites. Close the program, that's it. It doesn't run in the background but protects your computer from all the nasties.
You need to check for updates on a regular basis. It doesn't update often but check every week or so to be sure. When there is a new one, download, install, enable and close.
The last thing you need to do is set a new, clean Restore Point. To do this do the following:
. Do this by right Clicking My Computer and choose Properties. Go to the System Restore Tab and place a checkmark in Turn off System Restore. You will receive a warning that you are about to turn off System Restore and ask if you are sure, click yes.
System Restore will shut down. Wait a minute or two and then do the reverse and turn it back on. This way if you do need System Restore you will be certain that the restore points are clean.
If you feel all is well we can mark this one Solved.
Judy

Yep. Nothing funny is going on, so you can mark this one solved. Thanks a ton.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.