Please help me with an infection that just occurred (I have the file). As soon as I attempted an install of a downloaded program, AVG warned me about the infection and the files were/are being recreated continuously and each is considered an infection.

My system is Windows 7, x64 (AMD).

I am in the process of following the steps outlined in "Readme Before Posting".

Files are being continuously being created and deleted in C:\Users\Gary\AppData\\Local\Temp. Also, in c:\Windows\SysWos64, there are random 6-character .exe files being created and not deleted. TaskMgr shows they are executing briefly and then terminating as each starts up a new one (according to procmon). All files have the same timestamp of 8/3/2009 1:39pm. Also, there is one explorer.exe with the same timestamp. In /Windows, there is an explorer.exe stamped with the same date but earlier time. I submitted both explorers to jotti online scan and they are flagged as not infected. They are different sizes.

I will provide the requested files when I have them ready.

Thanks,
Gary Davis

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

So far, the virus scanners have not picked up anything other than AVG's initial find of the infected files in AppData\Local\Temp. It did not realize the 6-character files in System\SysWow64 were bad (though uploading one to virusscan.jotti.org did show some positives).

Windows malicious scan (non-full) did not show anything wrong. MBA-M is running a full scan now.

I noticed that the 6-character exe's were running on behalf of my logged on (administrative) user so I switched to log on as another user and the exe's did not start up on that user. I logged the "bad" user off and the processes stopped spawning. I then deleted all files in the AppData\Local\Temp and the 8/3/2009 files in Windows\SysWow64 (except the explorer.exe which got access-denied). I booted into safe mode and was still unable to delete the SysWow64\explorer.exe.

I then rebooted back into the "bad" user and the 6-char exe's did not return. I re-ran AFT-Cleaner and am running MAB-M now and will run the ESET Online Scanner next.

I have attached a screen shot from the jotti scan of the downloaded file that infected my PC.

Gary

The MAB-M found nothing new and ESet found an infected program that I downloaded earlier this morning but had not run (it's now deleted).

The PC's been stable since the reboot but there may be remnants of the infection lurking - hopefully not.

What does the dds.scr tool do? It's mentioned in the forum Readme but no details.

Thanks,
Gary

What does the dds.scr tool do? It's mentioned in the forum Readme but no details.

Thanks,
Gary

It is simply a scanner which shows much of what is on the computer, any new files installed, possible infected files. It won't hurt the computer, if you want to you can download, do the scan and post the logs here.

... if you want to you can download, do the scan and post the logs here.

I backed off the PC to the previous restore point from just prior to the infection.

I ran the DDS and am attaching the zip of the log files.

At this point, the PC continues to be stable with no obvious side effects from the infection.

Thanks,
Gary

Continue with the steps given in the sticky. Post back with the MBA-M log next.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.