Hi Everyone,

I am on normal mode at the moment, but usually when this problem first started, I could only go on Safe mode with networking. Right now, I am unable to access my computer and all desktop shortcuts, and several otehr programs.
Every time I start my computer up, I get these application errors while it's loading:

TosHKCW.exe
TFNF5.exe
TouchED.exe
AClntusr.EXE
IMJPMIG.EXE
IMEKRMIG.EXE
ImSclnst.exe
TINTSETP.EXE
TaskSwitch.exe
AexAgentActivate.ese
Udatecrui.exe
Reader_sl.exe
MaxMenumgr.exe (This is my External Hard drive [Maxtor])
AdobeARM.exe
UnlockerAssistant.exe
qttask.exe
ctfmon.exe
Apntex.exe
SHSTAT.EXE
MSASCui.EXE
Igfxtray.exe
snippingtool.exe

They all have the same message - Application failed to Initialize properly
[Error: 0x0000142]

The .exe errors change sometimes, they're not always the same. Also, I am not an admin i'm not able to do the sfc.

Any feedback would be awesome, thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 44 Replies

You don't say what operating system you are running. If you are not the Administrator then WHO is?
If you are running XP you don't need to be Administrator to do error checking:
Open My Computer. Right Click on "C" Drive...this assumes that your main hard drive IS "C" drive.
When you right click then choose Properties. When Properties opens choose Tools, Error Checking, Check Now. A box will open, put check marks in BOTH options. Click Ok. You should then receive a message saying it cannot run now but must run on the next reboot. Click ok and Reboot.
SFC will run, it will take awhile so just be patient. Once it is complete the computer will fully boot.
Are you using a Firewall? If so which one? None of those programs are necessary for the running of the computer so am not certain why these would be causing these problems. Have you been able to do any av scans or tried any since this began, and WHEN did it begin? Had you installed anything new just prior to this or changed ISP's or something?

I am not able to access my computer, I don't know why..but it just loads and nothing happens..also, I am part of a school network

I am not able to access my computer, I don't know why..but it just loads and nothing happens..also, I am part of a school network

Am not certain what you mean by it loads and nothing happens. If nothing happens then it ISN'T loading.
If you are part of a school network then you should have an IT office there which would help with problems. I know the college my granddaughter attends has an IT office which will help with these types of problems. Have you checked with them?

Am not certain what you mean by it loads and nothing happens. If nothing happens then it ISN'T loading.
If you are part of a school network then you should have an IT office there which would help with problems. I know the college my granddaughter attends has an IT office which will help with these types of problems. Have you checked with them?

WHat I mean is I click the program, and it has the hourglass for a second or 2, then it doesn't actually open.
I am on School holidays, so I am not able to get the IT department to fix problems with my computer.
Also, I am using Windows XP, SP2
I did an AV scan, but found nothing, and also a spyware check but nothing too

WHat I mean is I click the program, and it has the hourglass for a second or 2, then it doesn't actually open.
I am on School holidays, so I am not able to get the IT department to fix problems with my computer.
Also, I am using Windows XP, SP2
I did an AV scan, but found nothing, and also a spyware check but nothing too

For some reason I am not able to get msconfig up, it gives me the 0x0000142 error again.

What spyware program did you use?

What spyware program did you use?

I use Spyware Blaster.

By the way, I did that right clicking on c drive on safe mode, and it did this long scan when I rebooted, but It still didn't fix the problem.

Also, to your first reply to my thread; I recently installed 'Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC 2009', and I am pretty sure it started at that point, but I removed Speedupmypc a few days ago, because I thought it was doing damage

I use Spyware Blaster.

By the way, I did that right clicking on c drive on safe mode, and it did this long scan when I rebooted, but It still didn't fix the problem.

Also, to your first reply to my thread; I recently installed 'Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC 2009', and I am pretty sure it started at that point, but I removed Speedupmypc a few days ago, because I thought it was doing damage

You were right to uninstall that SpeedUpMyPC, those one for all all for one programs really DO cause more problems than they are worth.
Now for SpywareBlaster...that IS a great program. I install it on all computers that I work on, BUT it isn't a removal program, it is a protection program. So you need to do a scan with a removal program. The best one out there right now is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M). .
Download it to your Desktop.
* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

REBOOT after running MBA-M!

Now if at all possible the above needs to be done in Normal Mode. MBA-M is made for running in Normal mode as it won't load all it's drivers in Safe Mode. However if you cannot do anything with it in Normal Mode then Safe is better than nothing. Follow the same directions. Once you have run the scan then post back here with the log.
Judy

You were right to uninstall that SpeedUpMyPC, those one for all all for one programs really DO cause more problems than they are worth.
Now for SpywareBlaster...that IS a great program. I install it on all computers that I work on, BUT it isn't a removal program, it is a protection program. So you need to do a scan with a removal program. The best one out there right now is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M). .
Download it to your Desktop.
* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

REBOOT after running MBA-M!

Now if at all possible the above needs to be done in Normal Mode. MBA-M is made for running in Normal mode as it won't load all it's drivers in Safe Mode. However if you cannot do anything with it in Normal Mode then Safe is better than nothing. Follow the same directions. Once you have run the scan then post back here with the log.
Judy

I have uninstalled my Spybot S&D because I don't want any conflicts with software (I've had it with an anti-virus scanner before.

I have uninstalled my Spybot S&D because I don't want any conflicts with software (I've had it with an anti-virus scanner before.

Don't you mean SpywareBlaster? There is NO way that SpywareBlaster conflicts with ANY program because SpywareBlaster does NOT run in the background, if fact it does not run at all.
If you mean the program SpyBot it wouldn't conflict with any program either as long as the TeaTimer portion is not used. That is EASILY turned off. TeaTimer can interfere with fixes done which is why it is recommended that it be turned off.
Please post back and clarify which program you mean. If you uninstalled SpywareBlaster then you have uninstalled the ONE piece of protection that you have.

Where is the MBA-M log?

Don't you mean SpywareBlaster? There is NO way that SpywareBlaster conflicts with ANY program because SpywareBlaster does NOT run in the background, if fact it does not run at all.
If you mean the program SpyBot it wouldn't conflict with any program either as long as the TeaTimer portion is not used. That is EASILY turned off. TeaTimer can interfere with fixes done which is why it is recommended that it be turned off.
Please post back and clarify which program you mean. If you uninstalled SpywareBlaster then you have uninstalled the ONE piece of protection that you have.

Where is the MBA-M log?

I have the log here attached to my reply.

It found 2 infected files (on Safe Mode)

EDIT: sorry, I uninstalled Spybot Search and Destroy

No attachment on the post. Please copy/paste we would rather NOT have to open files uploaded from a possibly infected computer.

I am very sorry.

here it is:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3573
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

16/01/2010 11:19:45 AM
mbam-log-2010-01-16 (11-19-40).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 196146
Time elapsed: 20 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowCpl\1 (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\forceclassiccontrolpanel (Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoToolbarCustomize (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

You didn't follow directions given for Malwarebytes' you are supposed to REMOVE everything found and reboot the computer. Your log shows clearly on everything found

-> No action taken.

Please update it again, TRY to run it in Normal Mode. This time REMOVE everything found and reboot. Post back with the log.

You didn't follow directions given for Malwarebytes' you are supposed to REMOVE everything found and reboot the computer. Your log shows clearly on everything found
Please update it again, TRY to run it in Normal Mode. This time REMOVE everything found and reboot. Post back with the log.

Unfortunately I couldn't run it in normal mode. After all the errors on startup I got in normal mode, I received a Blue screen, and it shut down my computer automatically.

I rebooted and still had the problems.
Here is my log now:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3573
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

16/01/2010 11:21:05 AM
mbam-log-2010-01-16 (11-21-05).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 196146
Time elapsed: 20 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowCpl\1 (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\forceclassiccontrolpanel (Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoToolbarCustomize (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I want you to try something, don't know if it will work but it is worth a try. Obviously something is running when the computer is in normal mode that is stopping everything needed. So try this.
Download rkill.com to your desktop.
Here are three links, if one won't work then try the next one:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif

You should do this in NORMAL MODE.
Try each one until one loads. You may get some sort of warning concerning any one of them, ignore the warning and continue.

When you click on the program a black window will open while the program looks for processes running that shouldn't be there. Be patient. Once it is finished it will close the black window. DO NOT REBOOT the computer.

Immediately download Combofix from HERE or HERE

Click on the Save button, and when it asks you where to save it, make sure you save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Close all open Windows including this one.
Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.
Once these two steps have been completed, double-click on the ComboFix icon found on your desktop. Please note, that once you start ComboFix you should not click anywhere on the ComboFix window as it can cause the program to stall. In fact, when ComboFix is running, do not touch your computer at all and just take a break as it may take a while for it to complete.

Windows may issue a prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

ComboFix is now preparing to run and when it has finished you will see the Disclaimer screen you should press the number 1 key and then press the enter key to continue.

ComboFix will create a System Restore point so that if any problems occur while using the program you can restore back to your previous configuration. When ComboFix has finished creating the restore point, it will then backup your Windows Registry.
Once the Windows Registry has finished being backed up, ComboFix will disconnect your computer from the Internet. Therefore, do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet as your connection will be completely restored at a later stage in the program.

ComboFix will now start scanning your computer for known infections. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to what they were previously. You will also see the text in the ComboFix window being updated as it goes through the various stages of its scan.

When ComboFix has finished running, you will see a screen stating that it is preparing the log report
This can take a while, so please be patient. If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.
When ComboFix has finished, it will automatically close the program and change your clock back to its original format. It will then display the log file automatically
You should now post this log here when all is complete.

Post back with the combofix log.

I want you to try something, don't know if it will work but it is worth a try. Obviously something is running when the computer is in normal mode that is stopping everything needed. So try this.
Download rkill.com to your desktop.
Here are three links, if one won't work then try the next one:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif

You should do this in NORMAL MODE.
Try each one until one loads. You may get some sort of warning concerning any one of them, ignore the warning and continue.

When you click on the program a black window will open while the program looks for processes running that shouldn't be there. Be patient. Once it is finished it will close the black window. DO NOT REBOOT the computer.

Immediately download Combofix from HERE or HERE

Click on the Save button, and when it asks you where to save it, make sure you save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Close all open Windows including this one.
Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.
Once these two steps have been completed, double-click on the ComboFix icon found on your desktop. Please note, that once you start ComboFix you should not click anywhere on the ComboFix window as it can cause the program to stall. In fact, when ComboFix is running, do not touch your computer at all and just take a break as it may take a while for it to complete.

Windows may issue a prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

ComboFix is now preparing to run and when it has finished you will see the Disclaimer screen you should press the number 1 key and then press the enter key to continue.

ComboFix will create a System Restore point so that if any problems occur while using the program you can restore back to your previous configuration. When ComboFix has finished creating the restore point, it will then backup your Windows Registry.
Once the Windows Registry has finished being backed up, ComboFix will disconnect your computer from the Internet. Therefore, do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet as your connection will be completely restored at a later stage in the program.

ComboFix will now start scanning your computer for known infections. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to what they were previously. You will also see the text in the ComboFix window being updated as it goes through the various stages of its scan.

When ComboFix has finished running, you will see a screen stating that it is preparing the log report
This can take a while, so please be patient. If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.
When ComboFix has finished, it will automatically close the program and change your clock back to its original format. It will then display the log file automatically
You should now post this log here when all is complete.

Post back with the combofix log.

Bad news. I double clicked and followed the instructions, and when I double click on rkill, it gives me the same error I get at startup (0x0000142).

I did manage to find something out though. When I double clicked on my McAfee icon on the taskbar, it said "Detections: 1. It doesn't say which one, but all I know is that I may have something small, but very bad on my PC.

Any other ideas?

Bad news. I double clicked and followed the instructions, and when I double click on rkill, it gives me the same error I get at startup (0x0000142).

I did manage to find something out though. When I double clicked on my McAfee icon on the taskbar, it said "Detections: 1. It doesn't say which one, but all I know is that I may have something small, but very bad on my PC.

Any other ideas?

Ok, to confirm I ran combofix on normal mode (somehow I got onto it), and it went through this creating restore point thing then it downloaded something from the microsoft site.

Currently (been going for 4 hours, maybe something wrong?) it says in a blue c:/program thing: "Scanning For infected Files...
This typically takes more than 10 minutes
However, scan times on badly infected machines may easily double"

I went onto task manager and checked if it was maybe not responding, and it said running.

I've had this on since 5-5:15pm, and it's currently 10pm at the moment.

I went onto task manager and checked if it was maybe not responding, and it said running.

let it run

let it run

Ok, it's still going (morning now) and i'm going to let it run (i'm on my brother's computer at the moment posting this as I don't want to interrupt the process.

Are you absolutely sure it IS running? I have never seen it run this long.

Well, it says it's running on task manager.

Oh, I just got an application error just then for it.

So what does the error say? You have to give full information when you post something not just say you got an application error. You really haven't been very forthcoming with information. You need to give FULL information.
I honestly think maybe the best thing is for you to wait until you return to school and then take your computer to the IT department for assistance. You aren't giving me enough feedback to provide help. Please be sure that you take all disks for the computer to the school's IT department because I am certain they will need them.

So what does the error say? You have to give full information when you post something not just say you got an application error. You really haven't been very forthcoming with information. You need to give FULL information.
I honestly think maybe the best thing is for you to wait until you return to school and then take your computer to the IT department for assistance. You aren't giving me enough feedback to provide help. Please be sure that you take all disks for the computer to the school's IT department because I am certain they will need them.

Well, it's the same error as i get on all applications (0x0000142).

It's 3 weeks until I go back to school, so what if this problem gets worse in those 3 weeks?

Shall I try combofix in Safe Mode? or will it not work?

so what if this problem gets worse in those 3 weeks?

With all programs attempted getting this same error it sounds to me like you have major damage to key files on the computer so I don't know how it could get worse. Very likely a reformat would be the way to go here. This is why I recommend that you take it to your school IT persons for assistance. If you have the reinstallation CD's that came with the computer of course you could to the reformat yourself.
I really doubt the Combofix will work, especially since no other programs will work. I would advise that you take it to the schools IT Dept when you return or do a reformat yourself IF you have all the reinstallation disks.

With all programs attempted getting this same error it sounds to me like you have major damage to key files on the computer so I don't know how it could get worse. Very likely a reformat would be the way to go here. This is why I recommend that you take it to your school IT persons for assistance. If you have the reinstallation CD's that came with the computer of course you could to the reformat yourself.
I really doubt the Combofix will work, especially since no other programs will work. I would advise that you take it to the schools IT Dept when you return or do a reformat yourself IF you have all the reinstallation disks.

Ok then.

I discovered something:

Right now I am on normal mode, and it says the error only if I have more than 2 programs (for instance Firefox and MS Paint). Right now I have Mozilla and Malwarebytes anti-Malware, but if i try to open another program it will give me the error...but then, if i close one of them, it will open automatically without an error.

What could that mean? is there a way I could maybe get more programs to run somehow?

How much RAM do you have installed? How large is your hard drive and how full is it?

How much RAM do you have installed? How large is your hard drive and how full is it?

How do I check that?

To check hard drive size and how full it is, double click My computer. When that opens right click "C" drive and choose Properties. This will tell you how large the drive is and how full it is.
To find out how much RAM is installed, Right Click My Computer and choose Properties. The first tab shown will tell you how much RAM is installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.