If you have your OS CD, please try the following;

Go to Start | Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit the Ok button. Insert your CD if/when requested.

==

Is there anything in particular that causes the pc to freeze?

I don't know what an OS CD is. If it came with the computer I didn't get any CD with it. I am not doing anything different to get to pages. It will just freeze for no good reason at all, several times a day.

Operating System.
Open IE and go to Internet Options. Go to the Advanced Tab and hit the Reset button at the bottom. See if things are different now.

Are you able to borrow an OS CD which is the same as what you have installed?

Operating System.
Open IE and go to Internet Options. Go to the Advanced Tab and hit the Reset button at the bottom. See if things are different now.

Are you able to borrow an OS CD which is the same as what you have installed?

I'll call the shop where I got the computer Monday and get the cd. I did the reset on IE, rebooted and got an error message like right away and it said the same thing as before. I will type out a little bit of what the error report said.

iexplore.exe
msvcrt.dll
Module 1 Explorer.EXE

I'll call the shop where I got the computer Monday and get the cd. I did the reset on IE, rebooted and got an error message like right away and it said the same thing as before. I will type out a little bit of what the error report said.

iexplore.exe
msvcrt.dll
Module 1 Explorer.EXE

there are over 100 modules listed.

What was the actual error?

What was the actual error?

A box comes up and says Internet Explorer has incountered a problem and has to shut down, we're sorry if you're going to loose what ever you've been doing.(paraphrased) Then you can click on highlighted words if you want to know in advanced what the problem is, but you have to KNOW what your looking at to understand what it is saying. I will type out what the report says, and it has said this several times now as it shuts me down. Same thing I typed before;
Error Report:
Module 1
Explorer.EXE
Module 2
ntdll.dll
Module 3
kernl32.dll
Module 4
ADVAPI32.dll
Module 5
RPCRT4.dll
Module 6
Secur32.dll
Module 7
BROWSEUI.dll
etc. etc. +100
That's all I know.

Ok. How about uninstalling IE8, then re-install it. Either that, or we try a system restore way back before this started happening?

Ok. How about uninstalling IE8, then re-install it. Either that, or we try a system restore way back before this started happening?

I don't know what to choose. Do I have to have a CD to download from? I don't have one. With system restore would it take off things that my kid uses for his schooling?

My advice would be uninstall IE 8, it should roll back to IE7, IF you installed IE8 After installing SP3, did you?
System Restore "could" cause the loss of some programs. You really can't go back too far anyway, a few days really is the recommended amount as System Restore is constantly dropping off old restore points to make room for new ones.
I would go with the uninstall of IE8 if it were my machine. This browser is really intended for use on the newer operating systems anyway, mainly the new Windows 7. I wouldn't even recommend using it on an os other than Vista or Windows 7. That is my opinion of course but when I am asked...should I? if the user is using anything other than those two os's I say no, stick with IE7, or better yet go to a more secure and faster browser like Firefox.

My advice would be uninstall IE 8, it should roll back to IE7, IF you installed IE8 After installing SP3, did you?
System Restore "could" cause the loss of some programs. You really can't go back too far anyway, a few days really is the recommended amount as System Restore is constantly dropping off old restore points to make room for new ones.
I would go with the uninstall of IE8 if it were my machine. This browser is really intended for use on the newer operating systems anyway, mainly the new Windows 7. I wouldn't even recommend using it on an os other than Vista or Windows 7. That is my opinion of course but when I am asked...should I? if the user is using anything other than those two os's I say no, stick with IE7, or better yet go to a more secure and faster browser like Firefox.

I switched to Firefox. Trying it out now.

If you are used to the Tabbed browsing of the recent versions of IE you shouldn't have any problems with Firefox. It actually is likely the reason MS went to the Tabbed browsing for IE, the popularity of Firefox I mean.
You can import your favorites from IE into the Bookmarks of Firefox also, to do this open Firefox and go to File, Import and you can choose what to import and of course IE Favorites are one of the choices. They do STAY in IE, you don't lose them there the list is just also imported into Firefox.

If you are used to the Tabbed browsing of the recent versions of IE you shouldn't have any problems with Firefox. It actually is likely the reason MS went to the Tabbed browsing for IE, the popularity of Firefox I mean.
You can import your favorites from IE into the Bookmarks of Firefox also, to do this open Firefox and go to File, Import and you can choose what to import and of course IE Favorites are one of the choices. They do STAY in IE, you don't lose them there the list is just also imported into Firefox.

Well, I downloaded, really liked it for the short time I used it and then last night when we powered up the computer Firefox had a box come up saying it crashed and would send a report. There was a retry firefox button and a quit firefox button. I pushed the retry several times but it wouldn't do anything but send a report. I sure don't know what's going on with this computer but I'm about to the point of going back to rock and chisel.

If you managed to get that CD, I would be trying a system repair to see if that makes a difference.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.