Hello everybody,

I am currently developping a virus scanner for Windows, and was searching for a virus database. Eventually I found a database which contains around 1000 virus names, however none of the virus names has the extension .exe . Is this extension neglected? Or does the virus have various filenames?

A few examples:

Backdoor.Win32.delf.45
Backdoor.Win32.Bifrose.Gen
Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.Gen
Backdoor.Win32.PoisonIvy.Gen
Backdoor.Win32.delf.51
Backdoor.Win32.delf.52
Backdoor.Win32.delf.53
Backdoor.Win32.delf.54
Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.Gen

I am not quite sure in which forum this should be placed, but as you are all experts in viruses etc., this seemed the best forum instead of the C forum.

~G

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Go to the free traffic website and auto surf,i got about 100 .exe viruses in one month from them.

Eventually I found a database which contains around 1000 virus names, however none of the virus names has the extension .exe . Is this extension neglected? Or does the virus have various filenames?

What you have listed are not viruses. Rather, they are Trojans.
These tend to come in "families" - different variations on a theme.

You will find multiple executables (and other file types) associated with the various families. Often, these files are randomly named (though their size and signature stay static) and can be hard to pin down.

But, to address your question - There are a number of good databases. Sunbelt is good. Also, there are a number of sites where you can obtain samples of malware for analysis - but, you'll need to establish your credentials before they allow you access to these files.

Best luck to you :)
PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.