Hi
Yesterday my computer got some kind of virus.
It won't let me open any windows or programs at all.
It will open the window for one second and then a pop up will say this file is infected. Please run such and such virus software. Which is not really a virus software but the virus itself. I beleive it was called Antivirus with no special name.
I am on a work computer right now. This thing is on my home computer.
Basically, if I restart my computer, I go to open a program, such as microsoft word. Wondow pops up and tells me this program has a virus. Please run our virus program. I have tried opening up internet explorer to download a free trial or even buy a virus software, but it wont even let me do that. It opens the window and says this site is not safe. It has a virus. Please download our virus software. If I try to type in something like google.com... it refreshes and gives the same message.
I have even tried to control-alt-delete... the normal windows task manager pop up comes up, then closes right away and gives me the same message about the task manager having a virus.
I don't know what to do at this point since I can't even log onto the internet to download a virus program or any of the programs this site here tells me I should download before asking a new forum question!!! Please email me @xxxxx if you have any suggestions so that I might check the email from my cell phone once I leave work and can try anything you suggest when I get home. Unfortunately I cna't check my email from my home computer since it wont let me!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Think I fixed it... ran in safe mode and did a system restore. I am able to open windows and am online on the bad computer as of now. I can now run a virus scan. Thanks!!

Use a backup software for disk C:\ . When you are infected can reinstate backup. Sometimes Restore Point does not work.

Think I fixed it... ran in safe mode and did a system restore. I am able to open windows and am online on the bad computer as of now. I can now run a virus scan. Thanks!!

Using System Restore will NOT remove infections. The only thing it MAY have done is make the actual removal more difficult. System Restore only uses a few key files, it is never to be used to remove programs, because it won't.
Please follow the steps given here http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread134865.html
and post back in this thread with the requested logs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.