somebody please help mne with this problem:

whenever i open internet explorer, it closes automaticallly in about 3 seconds without warning. this also happens when i open folders such as my computer, my documents etc.

any1 help?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

somebody please help mne with this problem:

whenever i open internet explorer, it closes automaticallly in about 3 seconds without warning. this also happens when i open folders such as my computer, my documents etc.

any1 help?

I had the same problem only with Control Panel, I would open it but then it would close. I got Registry Mechanic and it hans't happen again. One thing Registry Mecanic is not free, you can do a free scan but it will only fix some of the problems. http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

Hi,
Does this happen in SAFE mode too? (To go into safe mode, press F8 key while the PC is started)

still happens in safe mode.

Hi,
Go to Start > Run and type inetcpl.cpl and press ENTER. This opens the Internet Options applet. Here click "Advanced" tab, and uncheck the option "Enable Third Party browser extensions" and click "Apply" and "OK". Then check with IE an other folders, and post back whether they stay open or close immediately.

=] you are a champion. thanks a lot.

ive been through so much work to get rid of this proble, downloading all sorts of spyware, adware remover, etc. haha u basically fixed it up in 5 seconds.

thanks so much.
if i hav further problems i noe who to come to. =]

Hey Swatcat, I have a couple of questions you can hopefully answer.

1.) What would have happened to cause this problem in the first place?

2.) If this is related to the Internet Options applet, why would it cause problems with non-internet folders?

Hi dlh6213,
I thought this could be due to BHOs, ToolBars or any other browser add-ons. Most of the times, "bad" BHOs are responsible for crashing of applications (browser). This can also happen if there's a conflict between (even legitimate) BHOs and OS.

From Windows 98 onwards, BHOs are supported not only for IE but also for Windows Explorer, so the installed BHOs can affect Windows Explorer too.

Whenever a new IE window or Explorer window is opened, these BHOs are instantiated, and if a BHO is a "bad" one (or if there is any conflict), then it may lead to some errors or application crash.

By deselecting the option "Enable third party browser extensions" in Internet Options applet, all the add-ons (like BHOs, ToolBars, buttons) are disabled. This prevents the instantiation of these add-ons whenever a new window is opened. Thus preventing the error or crashes. Hope this helps :D

Thanks Swatcat!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.