This problem seemed to surface when my ip address changed. I am able to use firefox, but when I try to access the internet via internet explorer all I get is a blank screen with the loading icon constantly going.. I have run norton, avg, spybot, adaware, trend micro. all clear. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Here is my log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:14:46 PM, on 12/12/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navw32.exe
C:\hjt\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/ICSCM.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1125013997953
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi Lanii, welcome to DaniWeb :)

Your log shows no signs of any obvious nasties. Please give us more details on the following:

"This problem seemed to surface when my ip address changed"

Hi :) Thank you for your response. A couple of days ago my internet stopped connecting out of the blue (I have a cable modem) and when I tried to repair the connection I saw on zone alarm that I had a different ip address. I'm guessing that my service provider changed it for whatever reason.. so yeah, it seems since then I haven't been able to use internet explorer. Also, yesterday my modem started randomly shutting off the internet connection. I'll be trying to load a page and then I look over at my modem and the cable link and pc link buttons are flashing simultaniously. I then restart my computer or unplug the power from my modem and it seems to return to normal. It's bizarre.

Hi :) Thank you for your response. A couple of days ago my internet stopped connecting out of the blue (I have a cable modem) and when I tried to repair the connection I saw on zone alarm that I had a different ip address. I'm guessing that my service provider changed it for whatever reason.. so yeah, it seems since then I haven't been able to use internet explorer. Also, yesterday my modem started randomly shutting off the internet connection. I'll be trying to load a page and then I look over at my modem and the cable link and pc link buttons are flashing simultaniously. I then restart my computer or unplug the power from my modem and it seems to return to normal. It's bizarre.

Bizarre, but there are alot of possibilities for this behaviour besides a virus or spyware.

First I'd call your ISP and just eliminate the possibility that they are having troubles on their end.

Second, I'd use the ipconfig command to release and renew your ip address - if you have an ISP that uses a DHCP server (again, call your ISP). If you shut power to the modem you may need to do this anyway.

Third, I'd check settings in Zonealarm. If certain Windows components (eg Services.exe & svchost.exe - provided they are in system32 folder) are prevented from accessing the internet, you won't be able to connect.

Fourth, get a better browser!

I'm sure there are others with additional suggestions.

I have the same problem, have you fixed this yet??

I know this is an old thread but I had this exact problem and came across this. Firefox worked but IE kept saying that it can't connect. Not a big deal except for sites that don't support firefox. Figured how to fix it so I decided I should leave the solution for those that may come across this with the same problem.
What I did was under "Internet options" "Connections"tab "LAN setting" I unclicked "Use Proxy server"
Don't know if it has always been selected or on one of the updates for IE 6 did it or what. I tried everything else. Uninstall IE, install IE 7, everything was a no go. but the proxy server thing fixed it

commented: Helped with an IE issue affectin' MSN +2

I know this is an old thread but I had this exact problem and came across this. Firefox worked but IE kept saying that it can't connect. Not a big deal except for sites that don't support firefox. Figured how to fix it so I decided I should leave the solution for those that may come across this with the same problem.
What I did was under "Internet options" "Connections"tab "LAN setting" I unclicked "Use Proxy server"
Don't know if it has always been selected or on one of the updates for IE 6 did it or what. I tried everything else. Uninstall IE, install IE 7, everything was a no go. but the proxy server thing fixed it

Damn, thanks man. I juss' had this problem n' been tryin' to fix it for the last hour. Don't know how the proxy all of the sudden changed like that, but my msn n' other stuff wouldn't work because Internet Explorer was all messed. This deff helped. Thanks for addin' this.

-Merch™

I couldn't open IE or access my iTunes library. I tried this and now they both work. Thank you!!

Lanii, with zone alarm it will allow only the ip that was allowed to conn, what you need to do is verify your ip from the command prompt, if there are diff remove the one in zonealarm. also make sure yo9ur network conn is set to obtain ip automatically and dns automatically. also in internet option ensure that the setting for use the following proxy server/setting is not checked. your ISP use DHCP so your ip will get change some times, this is automatic.

I have had the same problem for over a year. I just uninstalled PC Pit Stop and now IE works fine. Not sure if it applies to anybody else, but it might.
Paul

It also worked for me: What I did was under "Internet options" "Connections"tab "LAN setting" I unclicked "Use Proxy server"

Thanks a bunch

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.